1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Charatan Confusion

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Dottle_Dan, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Hey everyone,

I have been smoking pipes for a few years, but just started collecting them. I have been lucky enough to find a few Lane Charatan's at local antique shops and am a little bit confused with the grading of them. I have a charatan belvedere that is absolutely beautiful The grain has lots of birdseye on the sides, big bowl and is almost like 3d in spots. I also have an Extra Large Selected that has a good straight grain with birdseye at the bottom of it, but no where as near as cool looking as the belvedere. Am I missing something? Or, is it that the straighter grain is considered a much better grade of pipe? Here is a quick picture of the Belvedere:

[​IMG]

JimInks likes this.

2. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Nice looking Pipe that is. Beautiful birds eye.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Charatan grading from the Lane period (going off memory - I may be missing a few):

The general sandblasts were at the bottom... unless they had a fancy colored mount and they got the After Hours designation. Then they climbed a bit.

Perfections were next. Smooth with a walnut finish.

Belvederes third. Burgundy finish. Your pipe has some nice grain but it should also have some bald spots in order to get this designation. Does it?

Specials. Natural finish.

Executives. Different colored finishes - large pipes - some minor freehand shapes.

Selected. These were often very large pipes. I had a Giant Bent selected years ago. Various finishes but essentially excellent wood with good grain coverage, if not necessarily straight, flame or birds eye.

Supreme. Killer grain, usually natural finishes, larger pipes (but not always). A pipe you'd want to exhibit.

From there we have the Coronations, Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude and a few others I can't recall. These are the creme de la creme of the Charatan line, particually the Summa. Perfect straight grain. One of my most coveted pipes - and I'm a meerschaum guy! :ohyh:

JimInks and Stonewall like this.
  4. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Thanks Dmkerr,

This pipe is very large. Probably the largest that I own, other than the Yanik pipe that is my Avatar. It is actually larger than the Selected Extra Large that I have. I'm not sure what you mean by "bald spots." If you mean spots that are not birdseye, then yes. the front and back have crossgrain.

5. dmkerr

A Belvedere should have areas of no discernible grain pattern at all. That's why they got that designation instead of a Special or higher. The darker stain was used to help hide these bald spots so you may have to look very closely

If it doesn't, it may have been misgraded. From the angle you posted, it looks better than a Belvedere to me, but I also had a Perfection that had a killer flame grain on one side of the bowl and random grain/bald spots on the other.

6. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

It appears that Godaddy is down. I have another pic or two that I can show, but my web hosting has to be back up.

7. dmkerr

Yes, I'd like to see it from other angles. Looks like a sweet pipe! :th1:

8. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Ok, we're back up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimInks likes this.
  9. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

10. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

wow, good lookin pipe and great photography.

11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

That pipe is beautiful. What a find. Congratulations & enjoy!

12. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

Thank you, I can't wait to smoke it!

13. Dottle_Dan

Dottle_Dan Member

It's official! It's a great smoker too! I just smoked some C&D Sunday Picnic in it and it was wonderful!

14. dmkerr

Awesome! Enjoy that pipe! :th1:

15. dmkerr

I missed the Distinction, which sits between Special and Executive. It was usually a larger pipe and just about every one I saw had a walnut finish. Mostly freehands and sort of Danish-type interpretations of classic shapes. Good grain on these but not often straight.

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Dan is a Charatan geek and all 'round pipe and tobacco know it all. I'd make fun of him, but he really does know it all. Scary.

17. dmkerr

Your sentence is grammatically incorrect. Let me fix it for you so that it obeys the Jpberg Rules of Grammar:

Dan is a geek and all 'round pipe and tobacco know it all. I make fun of him because he really does think he knows it all. Scary. :)

Hey, I also forgot Crown Achievements and Royal Achievements, which were at the top tier between Coronations and Cum Laudes. You're right, I really DO think I know it all! I'm an elitist snob bastage, and this is an official cry for help! :eek:

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.