1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

CHARATAN PIPES.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by mlyvers, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

hey guys, i love charatan pipes. iam wondering who likes( CHARATANS MAKE pipes). i buy them off ebay and refurbish them. they are good smokers. i hope to hear you folks soon.

thanks.
    mike lyvers.

2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I like Charatans, they are very nice pipes, unfortunatly, I don't have any anymore, got rid of the one I had when I stopped smoking pipes a few years ago:(

3. Bob K

Bob K Member

Bought my first ca. 1970. Love 'em.

mlyvers likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

mlyvers likes this.
  5. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

oh yeah, i have seen that sight, i love it. gald to hear you guys like the charatan pipes. thanks.

mike lyvers.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

mlyvers likes this.
  7. furious

furious Junque collector

Charatan pipes are excellent. Look for Belvedere and Special models on ebay. Great value there. Many lament Lane's purchase of Charatan in the early 60s, but I think quality increased as a result. Certainly the number of fine grades increased exponentially. I have several and love them all. Can be a little finicky with different leaf, and don't remove too much cake while cleaning as the older ones take longer than usual to season.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I just sold my last Charatan - a Belvedere. Used to love 'em when I was a briar guy, although I had a Special that I never could get to smoke properly.

The Summa Cum Laude that Lane used to show on their ads is still my most coveted briar. It sold for $15k back in the '80's and I shudder to think what one would cost today.

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have a Charatan from the early 70's that I think is a great smoker.

10. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

thanks you folks. i have 9 charatans. i have a supreme s100, impreial,special,belvedere,afterhours,and a distinction, 5 of the 9 were puchased on ebay, i refurb all 5. i have been told that my supreme is worth 500-1000 dollars. i paid 15 dollars for it. a few of them have the lane stamp on them. i really enjoy them.

take care.
    mike.

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

9?
    I have 0!
    :(

12. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

hey mington, if you ever get a chance to grab a charatans make i say buy it. i think you may like them. charatan pipes are no longer made, however you can get them off ebay for a good price. you would have to refurbish the pipe before smoking.

take care.

mike lyvers.

13. Kari johansson

Kari johansson Member

Hi !

I have a couple of new Charatan pipes, and also a couple of the "old Charatan" makes. When interested,
    mail karijuhani.johansson@gmail.com

Best regs, Kari

mlyvers likes this.
  14. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

ruffinogold likes this.
  15. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

hey kari, i my just do that. can post any pics of those babies? thanks for your response.

mike.

16. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I haven't smoked a Charatan in about 45 years. I had 2-3 of them in the 1950s. They were impressive pipes, but the dark red stain had a distinctive and not so great taste which took years to go away. A friend and I hung out in pipeshops as teenagers, before we were old enough to hang in bars. Charatan's partner was Lane Ltd, whose store on East 42nd st in NYC we used to frequent.

Tom72 and mlyvers like this.
  17. Griffin

Griffin Member

Hi all, I have stumbled over a Charatans when I bought a lot of pipes. It is an unsmoked poker. It appears to be a Lane era, but I really do not know. It lacks the "£" sign (2nd Lane era), but that seems to be mainly for US import and I bought it on an auction I Sweden so it might still be a first or second era of Lane, but not US import then. It could be A Rubens era, but the CP logo isn't really as fine as it should be according to http://pipedia.org/wiki/Dating_of_C...nd_era_pipe_.28Rueben.27s_era.2C_1910-1960.29

I am not a collector of that sort who values and unsmoked pipe (well hardly a collector at all), but I still do not want to use it if it is something which might be of value to a collector. I would hate to "destroy" an unsmoked pipe with value as just such a pipe, it could be "cultur" to preserve.

What do you guys think, should I lit up and enjoy it or should I sell/trade it for something else.

Pipe

https://imageshack.com/i/hjmWs3lyj

Left
    https://imageshack.com/i/pcdLf1Bmj

Right
    https://imageshack.com/i/p2ViVrEij

Top chamber
    https://imageshack.com/i/iqViDkFqj

jdto likes this.
  18. Hazzzy

Hazzzy Member

Below is a small cut out from the following article: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Memories_of_Charatan_Pipes_and_Notes_on_their_Dating

Take it for what you will.

Charatan grades
    Charatan grades were simple until the crazy years of late 1965 to 1979. Up til then, they had, in order of increasing value:

The Rough These pipes had a rusticated shank and a sandblasted bowl finish dating from about 1930. This treatment was used to save the time and work in a pipe gone truly bad.

The Rarity These were pipes with otherwise good grain but some tiny flaws. These tiny flaws were carved over with pretty designs to save the work invested.

The Perfection These pipes were always cross-grained and were so named because Dunhills were most always cross-grained. Dunhill claimed to make "perfect pipes," so Charatan's Make were having their little joke. These were sometimes dyed walnut to bring out weak grain

The Belvedere These had straightish but weak grain. This was Charatan's lowest class of smooth pipes. They were dyed plum color to bring out the grain.

The Special These were generally unstained or lightly stained. They had better grain, but it was not perfect by any means.

The Distinction Better grain than the Specials but not that good yet. These pipes were often given a light stain to bring out the grain.

The Executive Named for the executives in "The City" around the turn of the century, these unstained pipes had better grain than the Distinction. After 1965, some of this grade had a carved top to resemble plateau briar.

After Hours This unstained pipe was a grade when it first came out, with Selected-quality grain. The design of the After Hours allowed the use of smaller ebuchauns due to the horn (later plastic) section screwed to the truncated shank.

The Selected This grade had almost good enough grain to be the best, but not quite. These were not stained but were well finished, by which I mean, take the very best pipe by anyone else whose work you have ever seen. Imagine it even better. The pipe isn't stained but polished (inside and out) to a glassy, creamy briar-wood finish. Beautiful-though not perfect-grain and a hand-made stem with hand stamping and all. Not quite a Supreme but so close.

The Supreme These pipes had the best straight grains they made at that time. These were always by comparison with other recently made pipes, so a Supreme may not be as good as an earlier Selected. These weren't stained either.

The difference between a Selected and a Supreme was usually decided by the master pipe makers on the work floor. The decision was sometimes a bit heated, but often everyone agreed from the last coarse sanding on. Woe was palpable when a bowl showed an irreparable flaw in the last sanding. I have seen a pipe get thrown across the work-room into the waste when a sudden flaw turned a Supreme into a Special. I still have the pipe, in fact, and I'll never forget the anguished curses.

19. Griffin

Griffin Member

Yes, I forgot to mention that my pipe is a Special, as one can see on one of the pictures.

20. furious

furious Junque collector

Special was the middle of the road as far as grain quality, but regarding the smoking characteristics, the pipe doesn't know the difference. Most of my Charatans are Specials, and nearly all have been good smokers.

The biggest single concern with smoke-ability concerns the flavor that is imparted by the red stain used on older pipes. Many have described the flavor as sharp or piquant and find it to be undesirable.

jdto and upinsmoke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.