Cheap Alternative

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WVDAVE, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Member

OK, I'm at a point in my life where I don't want to be, but the government seems fit to put me there. Any who I don't want to digress from the purpose of this thread so I'll get on with the post. I've been smoking Escudo Navy DeLuxe as of late and I find my tin coming to dreaded point that all tins come to, being "empty". I need to find a cheap alternative to this delightful smoke. I find that I do better with the Escudo Navy DeLuxe if I fully rub it out and smoke it in my Golden Square apple. So the alternative doesn't have to be in coins, it could be a ready rub or flake. So what would you recommend as a cheap alternative?

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

Cheap VaPer...LNF comes to mind.

woody likes this.
  3. woody

woody Admin Admin

+1 for LNF

4. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

Bullseye Flake?

5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

LNF (the poor man's Escudo) is a great value at $1.77/ oz. (when bought by the 24 oz. box). I have around 12-13 pounds of it jarred and, after a couple of years, it tastes pretty darned good. I do like Escudo but, considering the cost, LNF will do just fine.

WyoBob

Alan Dye and jdto like this.
  6. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

LNF does not have that much Perique but Escudo has a solid dose. I'm thinking LNF and buy some bulk Perique to add to it.

JimInks likes this.
  7. KMahoney

KMahoney Member

To my not-so-sharp palate Hal O' the Wynd tastes just like Escudo to me. While it's not cheap it is less expensive than Escudo at $14 for 100 grams. It looks just like rubbed out Escudo as well. You can tell it started out as coins.

8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

If you buy 5 tins of Escudo from P&C at 8.47 a tin and you smoke a bowl that contains 3 grams( about a group 5 bowl), it is costing you 50 cents a bowl to smoke Escudo. I don't know how often you smoke it, but if you really love it, 50 cents isn't a lot. The big differences between the Rattray's and Stokkebye's is they use a lot of red virginia's in their blends and if you are susceptible at all to tongue bite, they will get you. I have a body chemistry thing where I cannot tolerate much if any red virginia's so I cannot smoke the rattray or stokkebey flakes. I used to like them but they could never replace Escudo for me, it is one of my favorites and has been for years.

9. James1956

James1956 Member

I've tried rubbing out LNF and adding some straight perique; but haven' t come up with quite the right proportion yet. I've also tried a mix of LNF, McClelland's Red Cake (#5100, I think), and perique that I like quite a bit, but it doesn't resemble Escudo as much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.