1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

cheap briar, or cheap meerschaumpipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Linus, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linus

Linus Member

Hi, is there anyone that have orderd from Meerschaumstore.com‏? and knows if their "affordable" pipes are affordable or just a waste of 30 bucks?
    For about the same cost i could also pick up a cheap italian briar pipe.

Im not expection to end up with the love of my life for 30 dollars, but i could sure use one (or 20?) everyday smokers. =)

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Linus, you might want to post this question in the Meerschaum sub-forum, that's where all the Meerschaum guru's hangout, like dmkerr. :)

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I've only ever seen those clear plastic stems on pressed meers, these may be ok, but with an extra $20 for shipping, you could get yourself a decent briar domestically in stead. I would really question the size of these pipes (I couldn't find dimensions anywhere on their site) as well as the drilling and draw. There has to be something that makes them that inexpensive (I only had to buy one cheap meer to realize they're not usually a bargain). I love Savinelli's Duca Carlo line for an inexpensive pipe that is likely to be a great smoker for less than those meers would be delivered.

jpberg and cobbsmoker like this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

If you're looking for a ~cheap~ briar pipe, find a Courtley Supreme from ebay. I have three and they are excellent, inexpensive pipes. They're drilled nicely and smoke very well. Can't beat them for the money.

5. Linus

Linus Member

So, basicly, either spend a bit more for a decent meer, or go for a inexpencive briar? =)

I´ve checked for both savinelli´s Duca Carlo and courtley supreme with no luck (im only looking in europe becouse of shipping and customsfee´s =/

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'll ask my wife where hers came from . I dont think it cost 45 bucks . I've smoked it and it's fantastic . Came w/ a nice fitted case also

Linus likes this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Linus, I ordered a pipe from meerschaumstore recently to see how they're made. In other words, I'll guinea pig 'em for ya. The pipe is currently being carved and I would expect to have it within the next month. If you can wait, I'll fill you in when I receive it.

Old Codger and Linus like this.
  8. ruffinogold

Here ya go .. my wife got a pipe from this site , cost 40 bucks , and smokes great . Is it the best Meer available , no , but it's block Meer and the carving was pretty nice [ she got a rose ] .. where the stem meets the shank was good and firm . The pipe is very light in weight , and for the money .... seems as fantastic as it smokes . You cant see the pipe well in this pic of her but she enjoys the pipe very much :th1:

[​IMG]

Linus and dwaugh like this.
  9. Linus

Linus Member

Thanks for the info =)
    Of course i dont expect the best for the prices their less expensive models have, im pretty much looking to expand from 2 briars to a few more =) not that i really need more than i have (i only smoke 1-4 bowls a day, mostly only one of two). But there is far worse things to spend money on then pipes ;) and i´ve gotten the impression that meer´s do extremly good with aromatics:) so i guess i NEEEEEEED one or two meer´s in the future.

dmkerr likes this.
  10. DocB

DocB Active Member

If you're into figurals Linus, shoot me a PM.

11. Linus

Linus Member

Not really, i kinda prefer the smooth ones =) but thanks anyway =)

12. DocB

DocB Active Member

Me too... Hence the extra figural I have. Ahahahaha!!

Old Codger and Linus like this.
  13. Linus

Linus Member

If you allready got it, smoke it :) :bing:

dmkerr likes this.
  14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ya just can't beat good advice like this! :th1:

Linus likes this.
  15. ruffinogold

16. Linus

Linus Member

Well, my absolute first pipetobacco was orliks´s danish mixture, still one of my favourites =) but i feel that im in a trail and error phase right now so i just have to buy some cherryflavoured tobacco soon =)

Could´nt find anything about shippingcosts so i guess i have to send them an e-mail, overseas shipping have a tendency to be more expensive than the products =/

17. ruffinogold

Ok , you dig cherry ! I guess I can retire now ... lol . Peter Stokkebye has a couple cherry blends and a Black Curent Cavendish thats really nice !

18. Linus

Linus Member

I´ll see what i can find down in www.ff-pipes.com ´s store =) they must have some something that fit´s =) they dont have all their tobacco asortment online =/ but it´s only 10 miles there =)

19. ruffinogold

If I could go 10 miles and buy Three Nuns , Orlik Dark Kentucky , MacBaren Golden Blend/Extra .... I'd be thrilled . It would suck to have to pay the retail price over there ... but 10 miles away ... awesome ! Damn , Thor .... you're lucky !

20. Linus

Linus Member

well, to be honest, the prices here aint to fun, on the other hand i pensonaly dont smoke that much (if we dont count in the cigarettes then it´s a whole different level)
    But denmark is a remarkeble country when it comes to tobacco, i work in a really really small supermarket and still we carry a few MacBarens, and Orlik golden sliced, and a few other pipetobaccos =) and with overall prices a 50gram pouch of orlik golden sliced is still cheaper than 3 bottles of coca cola =/

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.