Cheap but good?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user3610, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3610

user3610 Member

I'm placing an order w/ SP and noticed their Stanwell Melange is only $6.00 a tin.

Are there any good, tinned - English/Non-Aro blends that are cheap too?

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Balkan Sasieni is real cheap. 6 dollars and some change at P&C. One of my favorite tinned English blends.

3. user3610

user3610 Member

Thanks Captain!
    I think that will work perfect to achieve my $50/free shipping goal.

4. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

The MacBaren 3.5oz tins. Hubby likes Plumcake and Scottish Blend, also Burley London Blend.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

GREAT suggestions here already! Balkan Sasieni is a fantastic blend, and just about as affordable a blend as you're gonna find in a tin. Mac Baren blends are generally pretty cheap and pretty good, too, but many are aromatics and not many are what most would call "English" blends.

You mention you just want some non-aromatics that are good and cheap, though, so I'll also suggest Orlik Golden Sliced. Flake tobacco, almost a pure VA, and in my opinion fairly similar to Dunhill Flake - but for less than 7 dollars a tin. Also, at Smokingpipes, 100g tins of Rattrays blends are less than 16 dollars each, so it's the same as paying 7 bucks and some change for 50g tins....you just have to buy two tins worth.....anyway, Rattray's Red Rapparee is, in my opinion, one of the finest English/Scottish/Oriental/whatever blends out there, and I can't recommend it enough.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh shoot, also, give Erinmore Flake a try. I can't vouch for the Mixture, and a lot of people don't like Mixture, but Flake is very good and pretty well liked. I love the stuff, myself :)

7. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

+1 on the Balkan Sasieni!

8. user3610

user3610 Member

Thanks Nesta!

9. user3610

user3610 Member

The description of Balkan Sasieni reminds me of Nightcap.
    Am I way off?

10. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

It is on the lighter side. No perique. Doesn't have the nic hit either.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Balkan Sasieni has a touch more latakia in it than Nightcap does, but it's milder, no spicy perique, substantially lower nicotine than Nightcap....but while I think it has a touch more latakia, it's by no means a lat dump...I was just surprised that Nightcap doesn't have more of it in there.

12. user3610

user3610 Member

I'm okay with that- right when I think I want a strong/high nicotine tobacco- I smoke some... and I don't want it again for awhile :confused:

13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

In my opinion, yes. Sasieni is very heavy with Macadonian orientals which have a distinct incense flavor/aroma.

Although I've not had them you could consider some of the new Erik Stokkebye blends. They come in 3.5 ounce tins. If you calculate the price according to a 50 gram tin it would be $6.97. Not bad.

14. smokey422

smokey422 Member

Pipes and Cigars has a 20% off sale going on their H&H blends, just put HHHoliday in the notes section of the order form. Try Larry's Blend or Ten to Midnight for a full Latakia/English blend.
    Smokey

15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Stanwell Melange is an Aro. Creme Brulee / cotton candy room note. Just sayin'. It was the last aro I smoked. 5 years ago, lol.
    Also, define cheap. A tin of tobacco is cheap. $8-$12, sometimes $17. I bought a tin of Peterson's University Flake today at my B&M for $12. I also got 4oz. of Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye flake medallions for $8. I know i paid more, but I REALLY love this B&M & they carry EVERYTHING for the most part. If they don't have it, it's because they've sold out of it.

I don't think tinned tobacco is expensive either, so I mean.........like an 8 ounce tin of GL Pease Key Largo was like $32 from pipesandcigars.com. But it was 8 ounces of an english/ cigar wrapper leaf blend. I mean if you're looking for non aro blends on the cheap, I'd say a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh & call it a day, lol. But then, some people like the room note of SWR, so...... yeah. Pipe tobacco thankfully isn't all that expensive to begin with. You definitely get what you pay for. It pays to be a tobacco snob. Not a pipe snob. You can smoke awesome tobacco in a $40 pipe like my parker I got as my 1st pipe in 2004. I smoked it today & she has a BEAUTIFUL cake built, was a "basket pipe" when I bought her & she smokes like a dream....as good as pipes I spent $120 on.

Fortunately for me, I only own 8 pipes. 5 brier, 2 cobs, 1 meer. I am DEFINITELY going to increase my meers. Not briers. Meers are flavor tattle-tales. BEST flavor you'll get from your tobacco. I'll smoke my 1 meer for like 3 days to give my briers an increased rest. Also, I noticed w. my meer, you don't need to "cook in " a flavor like perique, va's, aro, etc. You can smoke whatever in a meer & get away w. it. She doesn't need to rest like briers do.

All that to tell you, pipe smoking is the cheapest smoking in the land, the tobacco is cheap. Your fashion statements will be what's expensive. ;)

16. smokey422

smokey422 Member

Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is a cheap but high quality Balkan/English from Mars Cigars. It's hard to find but Mike carries it. It's a very good smoke if you like strong mixtures. It is in bulk, not tins. You can save a lot of money by going bulk and jarring your blends in canning jars. Also, if you get tired of English blends, try PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's a fantastic VA/Per coin tobacco with a cavendish center. Mars and lots of other vendors have it.
    Smokey

jason1977 likes this.
  17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

PS Luxury coins are a staple. ;) :sailor:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.