Chelsea Morning!! How about Quiet Nights?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by owias12, Mar 1, 2011.

1. owias12

owias12 Member

Hey gang,

I've taken a huge liking to Chelsea Morning. I find it to be a wonderful blend with just the right amount of Perique. I think if it had a little more Latakia in it I'd love it even more. So I was thinking, maybe Quiet Nights would be a good fit for me as well. Has anyone had both of these blends, and can you give me some insight as to how they might compare. I'd appreciate it. I'm tempted to just order an 8 oz tin of it. I need another tin of CM as I've tore through it much faster than anticipated. Great blend for the morning for sure.

Be well!!

umfunix likes this.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

QN is considerably heavier in body and taste than CM. They are worlds apart, yet retain the Pease signature flavor. QN is one of the 2 or 3 new tobaccos that I am most excited about. For me, it's great at any time except early morning (and you have CM for that!). I think QN is a rare masterpiece.

It's hard to know someone else's taste but I think you'll like it. You might want to start with a 2 oz tin to see before you jump in with both feet. Then again, if you hate it, there's always traders or buyers out there that'll take the remainder off your hands... like me! :groucho:

3. owias12

owias12 Member

dmkerr,

would you say the perique content is as present as it is in Chelsea Morning?

I really find the amount of perique in CM to be perfect.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

4. dmkerr

No, I find it more in the background in QN than in CM. The latakia and dark VA's are dominant in the QN, with the oriental and perique playing more minor parts. There's probably about the same amount of perique in both blends (just a guess) but the high latakia content in QN means the perique is less noticeable in the taste. In fact, I felt it more than I tasted it in QN. But I get the distinct impression that the blend would be less of a masterpiece without the perique. I think it plays its part nicely but if you're looking for more perique presence, this might not work for you.

If you'd like a sample of QN before you decide if you want to take the plunge, send me a PM and I'll shoot you some out.

umfunix, psquared and Brit abroad like this.
  5. beeftip

beeftip Member

The difference is like morning and night. Ha! Anyway...

Chelsea Morning is really special. It's got that fruity and zesty core. I think Pease really nailed it with Chelsea Morning. It's one of the few tobaccos I've vowed to never be without.

Quiet Nights is Latakia-dominant. There's still a sweetness and a zest, but it's really buried. More than anything, Quiet Nights is "creamy". Sometimes, I've found and a few have agreed, Quiet Nights gets a little bitter.

Quiet Nights is best suited for an exhausted palette. By that, I mean, you've had your day's worth of food, a couple bowls of other tobacco, maybe a dram of whiskey or two. Then it's really nice.

If you're hoping that Quiet Nights will be like Chelsea Morning but with a little more Latakia, you're going to be very disappointed.

umfunix likes this.
  6. dmkerr

Diff'rent strokes, I guess. I find QN perfect starting about late morning and throughout the day. Never found it to have the slightest inkling of bitterness. In fact, I'm constantly astonished at the clarity and balance of this blend, which I find rare in a heavy latakia blend. I found CM to be a bit bland but certainly a decent smoke. QN is, to me, the pinnacle of Pease's art.

Perhaps it's just at its best in a meerschaum, which is pretty much all I smoke.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

For my tastes, QN is a bit too, well, quiet. If I'm really in a zone, with a really clear palate, I can get it, but most times, it eludes me.

Brit abroad likes this.
  8. dmkerr

I know what you mean. I had the same issue with Abingdon for a long time. It was one tobacco that I refused to give up on, and it took a lot of bowls to figure it out - more than I usually allow any tobacco.

Greg Pease is the master of complexity and creating blends that aren't easy for me to "get". There were a few exceptions... Odyssey and Haddo's come to mind... but I've struggled with a lot of them. Cumberland still eludes me. Funny how that works, but tastes are so personal. Thankfully, we have hundreds of different choices! :thumbsu:

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Absolutely so. I have found the same effect.

10. dmkerr

Another meerschaum guy? :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

11. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Sorry to kind of resurrect an older thread, but I'm curious how people have found Quiet Nights to compare to Westminster as well? I've been smoking Westminster and wanted something with a bit more muscle behind it as far as flavor goes so I just pulled the trigger on Quiet Nights. Am I headed in the right direction, or should I be looking at something else? It's my understanding that Westminster is kind of between Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights, although my head spins at trying to sort out all the names in the GL Pease lineup.

Brit abroad likes this.
  12. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My opinion is that you're moving away from where you want to go. I think Odyssey is a natural progression up the strength scale from Westminster.

That being said, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the differences between QN and Westminster.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    umfunix, Rodfather and Brit abroad like this.
  13. dmkerr

I second that opinion in its entirety. Odyssey is the next step up. Odyssey (for me) is the finest tasting latakia-forward blend in existence. I've found it to lack complexity, and I've also found that its lack is its greatest strength. Nothing but a wonderful flavor top to bottom. No surprises, and any that came up would spoil the experience. Just my half a nickel.

Rodfather and Brit abroad like this.
  14. MarkC

MarkC Member

I have wanted to try several of these blends. How would these compare in strength to Penzance? I'm not sure my rookie palate could take anything stronger.

Mark

15. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

I have yet to try QN but I find that for me, Chelsea Morning is a little too sleepy. I didn't even know there was Perique in it and I don't like Perique (which, actually, now that I've said that, makes me want to try it again...Hmmm). Still, though, my overall recollection of CM is that it's kind of blah. Maybe I got a bad batch?

16. dmkerr

If so, we both got it. I'm giving it another shot in a couple of months but first impressions are that it's a low point in the GLP lineup.

On the other hand, if I rated GLP tobaccos based on first impressions, I'd like few of them. Pease is a master at creating blends that hide their secrets well. Once I figure them out, I'm ok - with a few exceptions (Fillmore, Union Square, Westminster). Cumberland I have yet to decipher, but I find QN, Meridian, Odyssey, Haddo's to be masterworks. And Cairo ages to perfection.

I still have a lot of Pease blends to try, though.

17. dmkerr

Stay away from Charing Cross and you should be ok. Abingdon might be another to avoid. They're excellent but full. CC is the only thing that I find to have "flavor overload" from time to time. It's an occasional smoke for me but when all the stars align, it's incredible and irreplaceable.

Odyssey would be a good one to try if you enjoy Penzance. Quiet Nights is also excellent but hardly similar.

18. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

After smoking a good few bowls of Quiet Nights, the similarities and differences to Westminster are pretty apparent. First off, I need to learn to read descriptions a bit more closely. I ordered QN overlooking the fact that it is in fact a sliced cake instead of a ribbon. Not a big deal, but the burning characteristics of one opposed to the other make a direct comparison less helpful in my opinion.

I think both of them are great blends, but there are instances where QN excels where WM falls a little flat. The first is consistency. The flavor of QN is consistent for me from start to finish, with a little pickup in strength the last 1/4 of the bowl. QN is definitely a tad more latakia forward than WM, but the addition of the perique is a nice balancing agent. Perique hits my nose like pepper, and my tongue as being slightly fruity. I would describe WM very much like the essence of BBQ, and QN like BBQ+pepper. I taste slightly tomato like overtones once in a while in WM which are completely absent in QN. Also, the flavor of WM sometimes shifts on me from the lovely BBQ essence I love to almost pure salt... an essence that I'm ok with but not in love with.

Overall, I think they're both great blends, but QN is definitely a little off track of where I thought I was headed. QN has an amazing presence of flavor which will make it a frequent smoke for me when I'm not interested in pushing to get the flavor I want out of WM. I'm going to order some Odyssey in my next TAD order, and depending on what I find with it, all 3 might wind up comprising the core of my English rotation.

19. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

There is some thoughtful and worthy discussion in this thread. It deserves a resurrection. I've fallen in love with both Chelsea Morning and Quiet Nights. Now, I must try Westminster and Odyssey.

Thanks, old timers.

psquared, jdto, dmkerr and 1 other person like this.
  20. dmkerr

Westminster is one I gave up on. Chelsea Morning is still the finest blend I ever smoked that didn't even make my occasional rotation. I just respect it as an example of blending genius but the smoking experience is not for me. It could be that I don't smoke a pipe very early in the morning, which I guess is the optimal time for CM. I'm not much of a Dunhill EMP fan either, probably for the same reason.

Quiet Nights and Odyssey are just absolutely incredible blends. They're different, and both have their places. I'm betting you'll enjoy Odyssey.

jdto, SouthBound and Brit abroad like this.