Chewing tobacco in your pipe

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Garrett, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett

Garrett Member

I'm sure this is a bad idea, but I just bought a bag of tobacco from my local store, making the assumption it was pipe tobacco. I get out to my car, and it's chewing tobacco :doh: and the policy is no refunds on tobacco.

So after spending 11 bucks on something I'm just gonna throw out, I was wondering if this is going to be a total waste.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

What's the brand? I've been known to throw in a pinch betwixt my cheek and gum. Maybe we can trade.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Give it a try!....don't know about U.S. stuff - but our G&H, SG twists were originally for chewing.....never tried it myself - but have smoked them for more years than I care to remember.
    OT

Puff The Magic likes this.
  4. qwik

qwik Member

but how about credit exchange

5. Garrett

Garrett Member

It's redman golden blend for anyone who might have already tried or is interested in a trade.

6. Garrett

Garrett Member

I wouldn't mind trying, but i've heard from semi-reliable sources that some chewing tobacco companies put ground up glass in their tobacco so that the nicotine soaks into your gums easier. Also, it's pretty wet, so I wonder if i need to dry it a bit.

7. Scottly

Scottly Member

No way would I smoke it, Blahh, trade it off. Just my opinion.

HCraven likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've been know to chaw a hunk of Taylors Pride as a young lad. Liked it, say I.

9. Garrett

Garrett Member

I'd rather not get into chewing tobacco. I'm already trying to quite cigarettes. It's up for trade if anyone is interested.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Chew it! It'll put hair on your chest.

Nick and BigJ like this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I tried it just for grins. I chew tobacco some and had some Taylors Pride recently. I just wondered what it would be like. It tasted like burley that is topped with chewing tobacco flavor. I cut it into ribbon form and dried it well. It burned hot and the taste was not great, not horrible but not something id do again.

12. Indianapuff

Indianapuff Member

Okay this is what I learned from my grandfather about my great grandfather. My greatgrandfather chewed tobacco for many years and smoked a pipe for many years. I never was afforded the opportunity to meet him, but have heard a lot about him. He would chew his tobacco for as long as he pleased then would set it out on a plate overnight to dry. The next morning when the wad of tobacco was dried out he would place it in his pipe for his morning smoke. I don't know how good it would taste or smoke but it can be done. Red man gold and similar tobacco's are raw tobacco that has a mixture of molasses or sugar "casing" them giving them a sweet flavor. Then there's the fiberglass thing. That is usually found in "dip" which is finely chopped tobacco which one places in their gum. You can tell if the tobacco has fiber glass in it because it you shine a light on it you will find that it "glistens or Sparkles". Redman Gold Blend which I chewed quite often when I was out working (before I quit all forms of smokeless tobacco due to a scare) should not contain any fiberglass. Just my 2 cents.

13. Spam

Spam Member

I've heard the same thing about miners in the UK. I imagine that, over here, they'd chew twist or plug and I know many of the twists available now are sold to chew or smoke. Would probably negatively affect the taste, but I might give it a go some time.

14. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Don't. I chewed for decades. As already explained, most chewing tobacco is "candified" (their term not mine). Redman would leave a sticky gooey mess in your pipe that's not worth the expense of just tossing it in the trash bin. US chew/chaw/dip is not the same as a plug, rope, twist, or pigtail. The only 2 common US chewing tobaccos that could go in your pipe would be "Mail Pouch" or "Days-o-Work", both are not cased (and its why I hated chewing them) but I haven't seen them in my area for 20 years or so.

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I smoked some Day's Work the other day. I found a plug (unopened) under the seat of my truck. I haven't bought any of that in a while, and it had dried a bit. It is fine to smoke, but I don't think that Mr. Pease has anything to worry about.

16. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

But your nipples might fall off.

TampaPete and Mike Pomery like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.