Chicago TAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by telltime, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telltime

telltime Active Member

I don't think this is TAD. I didn't even know that term until I first visited this board, but I was interested in trying some new things and cellaring a couple to go along with what little I already have cellared (some Christmas Cheer, but can't remember the year, some roll cake, and some Tinderbox blends I like). So upon advice from others, while visiting Chicago during a conference, I wandered up to Iwan Reis & Co. The owner, Chuck, helped me at first with some pipe cleanings and descriptions, but then a "beautiful young lady," as he accurately described her, showed up and he needed to help her. It was his wife and they just celebrated their 49th wedding anniversary in August. Chuck turned me over to someone else who helped me with the tobaccos.

They had almost everything, it seemed. I really didn't know where to begin but saw some Blue Note, so that's where the journey began. The person helping me (Mike or Henry - I'm terrible with names at times!) made several recommendations, most of which I bought. I had forgotten to write down the other recommendations from the folks here so some I didn't get. I went mostly with smaller sizes in pouches and tins, as if I really, really like something I figured I'd call in an order for a larger size. I don't have much luggage space so I opted to have these shipped to me. Should get home about the same time as me or a day or so later. I ended up with:

1 - Dan Pipe Tobacco (Blue Note)
    2 -McClelland Kansas City Collection (Chocolate Silk)
    3 - Esoterica Pembroke (if i remember correctly, this one was finished with Cognac)
    4 - Distinguished Gentleman (7 oz.) by E. Hoffman Co., Chicago
    *5 - Three Star Blue
    *6 - Three Star Banner Lite
    7 - Mac Baren 7 Seas (Royal)
    8 - Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake (2 of these)
    9 - Mac Baren Vanilla Cream loose
    *10 - 1Q (8 oz)
    11 - Peterson Sherlock Holmes (figured I'd see what Mr. Falconeer's favourite tobacco is about)

If it was tinned, I got the "standard" size (50g or 2 oz) unless otherwise indicated. *Their bulk blends, I got a 2 oz. package unless otherwise indicated (the 8 oz actually came in a larger type container similar to Distinguished Gentleman). I know we picked out one more (one of their blends called Whiskey), but I don't see it on my receipt so I don't know if I'll get it when I get home. I would have been a bit more careful in checking, and maybe would have even gotten a little more, but they were trying to close and I was rushing so as not to hold them up. Wish I would have had more time.

Neat place and if you are ever in Chicago well worth the stop.

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Wow that's some haul! The guy who helped you was probably Mike, he's a walking encyclopedia on tobacco blends! Mention a blend, and he can tell you what leaves are in it, plus even tell you how the leaves were cured!!

Last time I was in the store, I had a major case of TAD too! (and PAD: two meers and two Petes). Just like you, I ended up with several tins and just a couple of their in-house blends. I'm surprised they don't push more of their own stuff as opposed to the imported stuff. But I guess that just shows how nice the people there are - not pushy at all!

Actually, one of my regrets from my visit was that I didn't get to try enough of their in-house blends... I had gone there with a list of tins which I had researched, but I had foolishly neglected to research on the IRC bulks... I was a typical newbie, thinking that all the good stuff had to be in tins.

To make a long story short, I ended up grabbing a few of their one-ounce samples, and when I got home and smoked them, only then did I discover how great they were! So I ended up ordering more of their stuff from their website... one of their blends really made its mark on me and I will always make sure I have some in my cellar. It's called "Balkan Supreme".

Let us know which of those blends rocked you!

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

Mike. That's what I was originally thinking but if you saw the initials on the receipt, you'd see why I questioned myself... But yes, that guy was rattling off what was in what tobacco. I kept asking him what that meant to me, and given my choices would I like it. Again, really, really wished I had more time!

-Devin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.