China pipes

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by F1guy, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1guy

F1guy Member

So I threw $3.50 total (shipping included) for three of these "China" corncob pipes. Though I am new to the pipe smoking thing, I do know that MM makes the best cobs. That said, for $3.50, I said why not? I was shocked at how bad they were.

[​IMG]
    Here's the bowl on one of them. Looks unfinished.

[​IMG]
    The three that I bought. Note the inconsistency on where the hole was drilled

[​IMG]
    Looked these guys up. Found nothing at all.

[​IMG]
    An MM mini is the smaller pipe.

Trauma likes this.

2. F1guy

F1guy Member

The bottom line is, I have many MM pipes. I won't be smoking these, but I thought it was interesting anyway. Also, the bowls arent coated with ANYTHING at all.

3. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I guess it doesn't hurt much to have at least given it a shot. Lesson learned, though!

4. MeerSteve

MeerSteve Member

I would never use a china pipe no matter how it looked. China is well known for using dirty, or contaminated equipment in manufacturing, you can look it up online. Who knows what chemicals were used on those pipes, or even if the equipment to cut them was even clean. Those belong in the trash can.

Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

So Steve, you don't use any products from China?

6. F1guy

F1guy Member

While I won't toss them, I will use them for a youtube video I'm planning. I think that their low-quality speaks to my audience, and I think that it'll persuade anyone from buying them.

will and jpberg like this.
  7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Wow, China fails at yet another manufacturing process. I don't touch anything made in China with a 10 foot pool unless it comes with a lifetime warranty. In addition to the horrible contamination and other issues MeerSteve mentioned there's the whole borderline slavery aspect; it's says a lot that they have to rig anti-suicide netting at the Chinese iPod factories.

MeerSteve likes this.
  8. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

What's your youtube channel name?

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Where is your computer, or it's parts, made? Car parts? Toaster? Television? DVD Player? Clothes?

Tyler Lad likes this.
  10. conroygc

conroygc Member

It always bums me out when someone uses a poorly made pipe as an example of why "China can't make anything well". They make almost everything well! Especially electronics. And badger hair for brushes.

But yeah most pipes from China are not smokeable. My first two pipes were purchased on eBay for $5 and when I received them, I knew they weren't good for smoking even though I'd never smoked a pipe before. I'm sure there are some amazing low key pipe makers in China doing wonderful things. We should find them.

browny likes this.
  11. F1guy

F1guy Member

It's F1god04.

I mostly do Zippo videos, but I'm really getting into the pipe-smoking thing. I'm not here for research, I legitimately enjoy learning about pipes and the like. I bought the China ones because they were cheap and I figured why not try it? See what's up with them.

12. F1guy

F1guy Member

I'm down to look! I didnt post this to "bash China" I was just that shocked that the result was THIS bad.

13. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I'm pretty sure the most innovative electronic devices (ipod, ipad, etc.) are all made in China no? All of my Apple products have functioned flawlessly, better than products made in Japan or Korea. I don't really have a bias either way, but I am always surprised at the negativity aimed at products manufactured in China.

14. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

For what it's worth, Missouri Meerschaum makes some unfinished pipes. The Missouri Pride is just a nekkid cob, and a damn fine smoke. The General also comes in an unfinished version.

I'm not defending these pipes, because I've seen them first hand and they are poorly made. They just don't have the same quality cobs that MM has.

15. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I bought some China cobs when I first started, then I bought a MM Country Gentleman and it has been my cob of choice since.

[​IMG]

16. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

In the case of Apple, where the company puts a premium on sound design and quality, Chinese factories are able to meet those expectations. Which demonstrates that their standards aren't the problem, ours are. Too much of the American public is perfectly happy to save a few bucks buying poorly-designed and shoddily-made junk. Try to find a parking spot on Saturday morning at Wal-Mart if you doubt it.

17. Cooterbrown

Cooterbrown Member

I picked up quite a few "nice" pipes in china. The thing is they smoke cigarette tobacco in them. So most have extremely tiny bowls. Which I thought was neat. One I have I can't even for the end of my pinky in. But it surprisingly smokes dryer English blends nicely for about a 5 min smoke.

18. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Your condoms are made in China by men still struggling to understand conversion charts having to do with dimensions.

Albert and jpberg like this.
  19. F1guy

F1guy Member

Funny you mention the Pride, because that's my cob of choice at the moment. I love it. Being a nekkid pipe makes it look more rugged to me, and I like how soft it feels in my hand.

With the China ones, they're interesting because the stems are longer and larger than the MM mini, but the bowl was narrower. I also noticed that the cob itself wasnt as thick as the MM one, despite the larger hole.

Skrymr likes this.
  20. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I like the Pride because they seem to smoke dryer than the others I have that are coated. That could all be in my head though. Plus I like the way they feel in my hand.

The one thing I didn't like about the china cobs is how soft they were. they felt like they would burn up very easily. MM cobs are more dense and woody.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.