China pipes

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by F1guy, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1guy

F1guy Member

That's exactly what I mean. MM cobs are soft, but they don't feel like they'll fall apart. My friend smoked a bit in the cleaner one, and it wasn't too too bad, but I wouldn't try it.

2. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

Every single time we try to "save" money at my work by sourcing something from China it's Epic Fail Time. They can't even make a rubber bushing with a consistent consistency. First one out of the bin is hard as a rock. Next one's a wonton. Good luck setting up a press for that. Lets not even mention the horrific human rights and environmental shortcuts that make their products cheap, along with underhanded trade practices and currency manipulation cheating to undercut honest competition. This dovetailed perfectly with our nothing-matters-but-today's-profit business leader stupidity to completely gut manufacturing in the first world (except for the Germans, how they laugh at us now) with all the wonderful knock on effects that has had, because basing your entire economy around services can't possibly fail right?
    Electronics? Launch xbox 360 red ring syndrome anyone? My do so many modern consumer goods wear out so quickly? Why can't I get a DVD player to last longer than two years? Why do the 40 year old German and US lathes at my work just keep on trucking 24/7 while the fancy new Chinese CNC ones are never NOT broken?

Look at these pipes. What kind of dishonest jerk could possibly produce these things and offer them to sale to the public with a straight face. Seriously, it's not like you cannot know that these things are garbage, hell fracking toxic even. This isn't an exclusively China thing of course, but they are by far the worst offenders in this regard.

MacNutz likes this.
  3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I won't buy anything from China that goes into my mouth or my stomach. Sure I like Chinese food, but not from China. You have no way of knowing what is really in it or how it was manufactured. I won't knowingly support sweat shops Anywhere. Chinese or American. The N. American taste for cheap crap is half of the problem. Of course it is impossible to only buy Canadian or US goods made goods because manufacturing has been moved offshore and or sold to other countries to boost stock dividends for corporate investors. Never to return. A big part of why so many people, even educated people are working low wage service industry jobs.

I don't have a 'thing' against China or the Chinese people but I go out of my way to avoid their crapola.

MeerSteve and aieeegrunt like this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

We only have to look in the mirror. As others have pointed out in this thread, most of these things are made to specifications and quality control that the US importer requires and/or accepts. CNC, DVD players (and pipes) I'm sure can be bought from a range of manufactures at a range of different costs. My dishwasher is not so great.... I could have bought a Bosch. I didn't. It was my choice, though.

Dondi likes this.
  5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

We have at least one cob maker as a member. All thing considered, sounds like a lot of members could save themselves some grief by doing business with a fellow PSF'er. You get what you pay for.

6. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I had one of those china cobs. Smoked it two or three times, then threw it out.

7. user2725

user2725 Active Member

[​IMG]
    I boycott Chinese goods when ever possible, I will go out of my way to find an American made product, pay more or make it myself if possible, or just do without if feasible, of course sometimes it's unavoidable, sadly.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I never missed an episode of Ren and Stimpy. Watch out for the crocostimpy.

9. conroygc

conroygc Member

Not China, but I did find quite the briar jockey in Singapore...
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/pipesart12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.