Churchwarden LOTR

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by just5042, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just5042

just5042 Member

tax time is around the corner and I might just be able to score a nice pipe. I am a LOTR fan and i thought it would be cool to have a "Gandalf" pipe. looking at the reproductions it seems like they are more for show than use. and as cool as it might look I would like to smoke it. wondering if anyone has experience with any of these and whether or not they are the right direction to go. where should I be looking?

Briar Life likes this.

2. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Shouldn't have posted here, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    just5042 likes this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I bought a McQueen Wizard back in 2001 when the movies started. It's a nice pipe but I have never smoked it. I didnt know enough about pipes at the time and it just looked to delicate to actually smoke. So I relegated it to a display stand next to a Wetta productions statue of Gandalf.

In another post here, I ordered a cobwarden from Doug. It was a MM Great Dane Egg that he put a new shank in and a churchwarden stem. It is SUCH a cool pipe! AND I know it will be a great smoker. BUt the funny thing is if youwatch the new Hobbit movies, most of the pipes that the hobbits smoke as well as Gandalf and the dwarves, my DGE cobwarden looks like it would fit right in!

I also ordered 2 more Great Danes from Scott at Aristocob and a churchwarden Forever Stem from Walker Briar Works.
    Havent received them yet, but am anxiously awaiting their delivery.
    Plus the Polar Vortex should subside this weekend to try them out.

Good luck!

Briar Life, Preacher1611 and just5042 like this.
  4. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Post pics when the Great Danes & Forever stem arrive!

I'm really curious to see what they look like together compared to DGE's cobwarden.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I will. I already got the Forever Stem yesterday and am awaiting the MM's. Although the FS looks identical to the DGE, the diameter of the part that enters the shank is too large to put in the DGE but fits nicely in my other MM's.

just5042 likes this.
  6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I think this should be posted here because it is a valid question someone new to pipe smoking would ask. Pipe smoking is not all about image, no matter how intriguing a pipe looks. Most of these are novelty pipes. That is why non-smokers buy most of them, or people who like the look of smoking a pipe rather than smoking a pipe for the complicated pleasure of it. A LOTR pipe is made for looks not for smoking. With care and patience, you can turn this pipe into a reliable smoker, but it will probably take a lot of care and patience. Pipes made to resemble movie props are made with other characteristics in mind rather than smokability. What looks nice on camera doesn't usually work well in the real world.

This thread turned quickly to cobs for a new smoker and rightly so. A churchwarden cob, which requires the purchase of a separate stem since MM doesn't make churchwardens, will be a good learner pipe that can take all kinds of abuse.

If you want to feel like you are chilling out in the Shire, I would recommend a churchwarden made by a respected maker rather than a movie reproduction pipe. The aftermarket for movie pipes is for collectors of memorabilia, not pipe smokers. Pipe smokers as a rule don't care about the outside of the bowl and the runes carved into it, but rather how the pipe performs in the field. It doesn't have to be pretty, it has to smoke well. That said, there is no reason why you cannot coax a good smoke out of a camera-ready pipe carved out of heaven knows what wood. It just isn't really worth the effort when there are more simple pipes available for less money that provide a better smoke after some simple breaking-in.

Whatever you choose, smoke in good health and don't get discouraged.

7. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

After some exploration of this topic I believe there are only two real answers. One either drops serious cash for the Vauen reproductions - which, if the reputation of the company is anything to go by, are probably good smokers as well as looking nice - or, one improvises.

I'm in the latter camp. If I had money to throw around I'd probably get the Vauen even though I'm skeptical of the longevity of a wooden stem. Then again, I might not. I really like LOTR but the price of that factory made pipe surpasses many great hand made offers - for example, its possible to get a great meer from a respected carver for what they're asking it (http://altinokmeerschaumpipes.com/churchwarden.asp).

LOTR is all about imagination. In many ways Peter Jackson's LOTR wasn't my LOTR. Not the one I read when I was thirteen and in love with fantasy literature. There is no reason I'd need a pipe sanctioned by him or the Tolkien estate to actually pick the book up, pack a bowl and enter my own fantasy - which is what its all about.

In other words, any churchwarden that sparks one's imagination is more than good enough. My personal choice will likely be a cob with a warden stem, because it seems so appropriately rustic (actually I'd like a bamboo stem, but that would complicate things). Whatever works for you. :)

8. just5042

just5042 Member

MakDragon thanks for the info on the McQueen wizard pipe. that was one that I had looked at that looked like it might actually be made for smoking but sounds like its not what im after. I like the idea of Cobb Churchwarden alright I guess I was just hoping to get that look and a quality smoker. may look into some more traditional churchwardens. a little bummed that silly old bear decided to remove his post I appreciated the links :) thanks guys!

MakDragon likes this.
  9. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Well search for Stanwell's Hans Christian Andersen churchwardens. Not only are they nice looking, they come with two stems so you can put the shorter one in when you're going out.

MakDragon and just5042 like this.
  10. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

Churchwardens make poor clenchers.

MakDragon and just5042 like this.
  11. just5042

just5042 Member

i would think so :p: driving and working in the yard may be out while puffing on one as well. Stanwell's Hans Christian Anderson Churchwardens might just be the ticket!

12. Deadfrog

Deadfrog Active Member

I'm a little late to the party, but thought I'd chime in here. The first actual pipe I bought was the Vauen Aragorn model. I bought it as a collectable pipe to go alongside my movie figure collection. Well it didn't sit unused for long! I was soon off to the local B&M to buy my first pouch of over-taxed tobacco. As a newbie, I found it great to smoke and I sure looked cool smoking it (or so I thought!). Now, after having smoked dozens of different pipes over the years I still smoke my Aragorn pipe. I never get any gurgle and get a nice cool, easy smoke every time. I haven't looked at them online for many years so I'm not sure how much they're going for these days, but I had mine shipped from Germany back when the first movie came out. I paid $199 US at the time for it. I would pay that again in a second, I've been very happy with that purchase. I keep meaning to add another churchwarden to the stable, but I'm still in love with my Vauen.

just5042 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.