Cigar Blind Review

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Spillproof, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

I've got one cigar left from Grant that I am planning on smoking Wednesday. Is there anyone on deck or anyone who wants to throw their hat in the ring? I'd like to send some cigars out ASAP to keep this thread moving.

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Very generous Yoss, but...
    You've been plenty giving so far, and you and Grant just pretty much just swapped cigars.
    You don't need to send off any more sticks sir.
    I can do that, or one of these other chuckle-heads can step it up.

For those of you reading this that have not already participated, GET IN!!!! Please?

Smoking unbanded cigars is an experience we should ALL have. Particularly good (*in many cases excellent, rare, aged, impossible to find) unbanded cigars. It robs you of your preconceptions and is a sensory expanding experience (and it's legal).

Whether your an aficionado or a rife amateur, this thread thrives on new meat fresh recruits.

3. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

For the record, Yoss... I'm always open to continue exchanging smokes. ;)

Also, for the record, I agree with Spilly. It's an experience that should be embraced, if you're a cigar nut. It can really surprise you (in good and not-so-good ways).

Albert likes this.
  4. Albert

Albert Active Member

this really was a blast.. i encourage anyone on the fence to jump in.. you wont be sorry... not with this bunch... i can attest first hand

5. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

Yesterday was another lovely day here in California, a perfect chance to smoke the fourth and final blind cigar sent to me by Grant Batson.

Cigar#4:

[​IMG]

First two things that jumped out at me were the extremely dark, almost purple maduro wrapper and the pigtail. Not too sure of the size, seemed Churchill-esque. The cigar wasn't giving off too much of a scent, just a mild sweet tobacco smell.

I clipped the pigtail and lit the cigar, the draw was a bit open for my liking, a little too effortless. The cigar tasted mostly woody, with some definite sweetness. Ash was a beautiful white and the burn was perfect.

The cigar smoked very fast, I wasn't getting a whole lot of flavor out of it. I tried to sip it slowly to compensate for the open draw, but mostly just tasted the wood and sweetness throughout. Towards the end, I thought I got a little marshmallow taste, but I was really struggling to identify any individual flavors.

I smoked the cigar while having a practice Easter Egg hunt with the kids to prepare for the big show on Sunday. The cigar seemed to get lost in the background, it never really stood up and asserted myself. I would have to say this was probably my least favorite out of the four Grant sent me, just because I found it a little bland and not as interesting as the others. I felt the same was last time with a really premium cigar that Ed sent me, hope I didn't embarrass myself too bad.

Thanks for the great cigars Grant!
    [​IMG]

6. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Well, that's disappointing. I've only had about 12 of these ever. They are the Drew Estate Liga Privada Ratzilla. A rare find and pricey stick. I've always gotten really great flavor from them, but they are not my favorite of the DE line (UF-13 is at the top for me). Perhaps these are inconsistent, but again, only having smoked 12, I don't know...
    [​IMG]

These were the 4, again:
    [​IMG]

You definitely have rated them in accordance with my experience (with the exception of the last). In my experience, the Ratzilla is a fantastic smoke, but I still prefer the Epernay by Ilusione. I numbered in order of "inexpensive to more costly". The last retails at about $17, which is a perfect example of "you don't always get what you pay for".
    I'm glad you generally enjoyed them. I was hoping to hit you with some stuff that perhaps you had not tried. All in all, the Epernay, imho, is "box-worthy". Sounds like you'd agree.

Thanks again, Yoss, for the fantastic smokes and the realistic review. Hope you enjoy the Real Egg Hunt. ;)

Cheers!
    GB

7. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

I appreciate the honest input we're getting here :toast:

Marker, Grant Batson and Spillproof like this.
  8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Somehow just now got caught up with Yossarian's reviews. Great stuff. I am a huuuuge fan of Illusione, and especially the Epernay line. Also, knowing to some extent what you like to smoke, Yoss, I am not at all surprised that you liked the Epernay the best. That goes in favor of my supposition that you and I like similar cigars.

Who's next? Step right up, now!

Marker likes this.
  9. sonarman

sonarman Member

I've tried very very hard to like the Liga Privadas and let me tell you it was very very expensive just to get a "Not for me" out of it.

Grant Batson and psquared like this.
  10. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I liked the T52 I had. Had a No. 9 last week. It wasn't great but still a good smoke. I'd still like to try some of the others in the line.

GlassSculptor likes this.
  11. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Sonarman,
    I undertand what you're saying. Just because a smoke is Hyped and costly, doesn't mean it's good. For me the Epernays by ilusione represent what all cigars should be. Consistent, flavorful, evolving, and never over-powering. A lot of the Ligas are overpowering. In fact, I had a baitfish last night that I ended up throwing out half way through because it just wouldn't calm down. I would say, though, that if you've not had the UF-13, its different and better (imho) than all the others in the line. They're stupid expensive, though (so try to get a buddy to buy one for you ;)).
    I will also say that, having been on the "inside" of the cigar biz a little, leaves, crops, blenders, factories and even companies can change on a cigar but the label may be the same. There are a few companies (Rocky Patel, Ghurka...) that are terrible about this. So, having enjoyed a smoke last year may not equate to the same experience this year. I noticed a significant change in my experience of the T52's and No9's after the first year of their release. I don't think they are what the original was.

Mount Mandolin and psquared like this.
  12. Mount Mandolin

This holds up with my own experience, I think. What's funny is, I have a box of No.9's, in my humidor, and sometimes, when I smoke one, it is absolutely sublime. Then, sometimes, I suppose my palate has been adversely affected by something or other, but it ends up being a let down. This is something that is fairly specific to Ligas in my experience, and I think they can just be a fickle cigar sometimes. That said, as formidable as they look, I've never found any Liga to be overpowering in its strength. The Unico series tend to be a bit more forceful on the whole, I think. I had a Feral Flying Pig last week that was definitely stronger than the No.9, but still not a gut-buster. Drew Estate is just a weird company.

There are a few cigars that just never, ever let me down though. DPG Serie JJ, Partagas 898, anything Illusione. Some things are good all the time.

13. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Agreed. What I meant by 'over-powering' would be best described as "harshness", perhaps. Not so much "full-bodied". I can't tolerate harshness for long in a cigar. If it ain't gone by 1/3 into the smoke (which is already way too much), I toss it. The No9's were the most inconsistent of any 'expensive' smoke in that way. I stopped buying them. Anyway, I tend to agree. I will say, though, the UF-13's (which I believe have just been released to the masses, but formerly were a rare commodity) have been very consistent in my experience (so far) and the flavor beats anything (again, my opinion) of anything DE has put out.
    But I tend to agree that you never go wrong with the 898 and Ilusione. I'll have to pick up the Pepin JJ again and revisit my opinion. It's been a while and I honestly don't remotely recall what I thought of it. lol!

14. Mount Mandolin

Try one or two after a couple of weeks, and then try one after six months. You will be amazed. I was given this advice by Russ, I believe, and it is certainly truth. Pepín blends with a lot of spice, but after six months or more of downtime, the spice smooths out beautifully. It is a fantastic cigar.

15. Jfro

Jfro Member

This is a most enlightening thread. Spill pointed to it when I was asking for good review sites. I am most grateful.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  16. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Makes sense. Good advice. That's probably true of a lot of cigars. Also probably why i tend to get good smokes when pulling from my humidor, as opposed to buying off the shelf. I don't tend to over-think these things, and probably too often chalk up my differing experiences to "inconsistency" in the cigar, but the "Aging," I suppose, can has multiple effects on a cigar. Not to mention your daily palate situation. I might suggest that our palate is the most inconsistent factor of all. Interesting stuff.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  17. sonarman

sonarman Member

Yes, I'm well aware of how soil, climate, and temp, blah blah, can change a cigar. I don't remember saying it was hyped though. But sure.

18. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Lol! I was AGREEING with you...

19. sonarman

sonarman Member

I got it. I'm a little moody right now, sorry for snapping Brother!

20. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

All good, my friend. Sometimes these boards are hard to read. And there are unfortunately plenty of "trolls" out there that do nothing but try to ruffle feathers. Take care, buddy.

psquared likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.