Cigar Blind Review

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Spillproof, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ

Russ Member

#5 was a LGC Medaille D'Or #3 From Sept 02

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

:nwor:

Thanks again Russ. You were more than generous. I hope you enjoy the rest of the package I sent you, even if none of it is as rare and wonderful as that.

On the other hand, how funny is it that a two-month-old Headley Grange stole the show and beat out a 13-year-old CC? Although the LGC was so well blended and well aged that I had trouble reviewing or ranking it at all, truth be told. But yeah, this thread is the best. Glad to be a part of it.

psquared and Albert like this.
  3. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

Holy cow. What a rare treat! and discontinued entirely! That's what I love about this thread!

4. Mount Mandolin

Tell me about it. I'm not worthy, man. Totally not worthy. I knew that thing was special the minute I laid eyes on it, and then when I saw his instructions to handle it carefully and smoke it away from any wind, I knew I was in for a treat. And what a treat it was.

5. Russ

Russ Member

Cigar #2
    [​IMG]

Beautiful box pressed cigar. Nice chocolate brown, almost like a candy bar.

This was a great cigar. The draw was way open, it produced smoke like a freight train, it was effortless.
    The spice factor was way low, it was there but not in your face, what it did have was a creamy sweet flavor. It stayed very consistent throughout, just a very delicious cigar. I would smoke these on a regular basis, and I would buy a box no doubt. The retrohale, was great, no burning at all, and it just brought out the flavors even more. I really enjoyed this one.

My guess,
    Flor de Las Antillas

psquared and Mount Mandolin like this.
  6. Russ

Russ Member

Cigar #3
    [​IMG]

This was a wonderful little cigar. Again, a very creamy cigar, with a nice nutty finish. The flavors stayed the same throughout, there was one little bump in the wrapper that was driving me insane and I kept finding myself wanting to pick it off like a scab. But I controlled myself and just smoked away. By far out of the 3 that I have smoked so far, this was my favorite. But I am partial to small coronas and Lanceros, so this was the perfect cigar for me.

[​IMG]

Im gonna call it a CC but not sure of the maker. I am thinking Trinidad, but again not sure.

7. Mount Mandolin

Russ was right about number two. It was a Flor de las Antillas toro. Number three was wrong, however (although it was a great review). Number three was a La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial, in the Minutos vitola. Both great smokes, if you ask me.

psquared and Russ like this.
  8. Russ

Russ Member

[​IMG]

First off I would like to thank Ed for 4 wonderful cigars, I do love this blind review, love smoking a cigar that I have no idea what it is.

Ok, this cigar is beautiful, the construction is damn near perfect. The wrapper is smooth, and velvety. It smelled very sweet, and was a bit salty on the pre light draw. When I lit her up, the flavors were there, the ones that I LOVE, leather, and spice, yet a touch of sweetness, and nice creamy smoke. This is one of the few times you will see me write a review in sections, but here goes...

First third was spicey and leathery, was really nice, with a sweet creamy finish.

Second third, the spice toned down but the leather kicked up and a pure delicious tobacco taste took over where the spice left off.

The final third was the same, but did get a bit bitter, but thats ok, I like the bitter, and I smoked it till my fingers burned.
    [​IMG]

The ash was a nice thick white that held firm even after it dropped with a thud.

Over all this was a delicious cigar, and I will smoke many more of these, but I will say that #3 for me stole the show.

Thanks again Ed, for these great cigars.

Oh yeah, Liga #9

9. Mount Mandolin

Liga 9 it is! Nice job Russ, and I'm glad you liked the cigars. I wasn't expecting the AdC EE to be your favorite either, so that's another nice surprise. Long live blind review thread!

psquared and Russ like this.
  10. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

If there's any interest I'd like to see this thread get revived for another round or two. I'll be quite happy to start things rolling.

11. Grant Batson

Grant Batson Member

I agree. Git 'r done.

SidZiff likes this.
  12. Marker

Marker Active Member

Bumping this so when everyone is off their Epiphany hangovers we can maybe start this up again.

Albert and psquared like this.
  13. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

I'm in, be glad to see this one get going again.

Marker likes this.
  14. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

I'm in but are in South Africa......shipping might be a challenge. If not, im IN.

What about a South African blind taste fellow SAners?

Egill likes this.
  15. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sid, start shopping for a victim. Someone in the southern part of the US or who smokes indoors. I am out until March or so.

SidZiff likes this.
  16. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

Hopefully someone will chime in here. If they don't have a place to smoke indoors they'll need to be south of me.

17. Marker

Marker Active Member

Someone hit up SidZiff. This is a fun deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.