Cigar-like pipe tobacco ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bluepipe, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Hello guys,

It's been a while since I've posted here. I hope everyone is doing well.

During the past days, I smoked 4-5 Cuban cigars. The first real cigars I ever smoked. I really liked that classic cigar aroma. What tobacco do they put in cigars? I have no idea about them and I really don't intend to get involved that much with them.

I don't want to change over to cigars. I know that a lot of people smoke both pipes and cigars, but I want to stick to my pipes.

So the real question is, Is there a good tobacco blend that is cigar-y ? What is your experience with these blends?

I found this: http://www.pipesandcigars.com/wpimecitinbu.html

Those are 5 tobacco blends - are there others?

Thank you for reading

bluepipe

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've heard good things about Habana Daydream and Robusto, but I haven't tried them yet. The most cigar-y blend I tried was Robert Lewis' 123 Mixture. Not bad. I prefer Hermit's Antique Pressed Cigar Leaf MM, which I first tried back in '03, but still have a little of. It's out of production for the near future for lack of Syrian Latakia, though.

3. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I have tried a few that you and Craven mentioned. To be honest the only one I still go to is H&H Stogie. I learned a while ago that if I wanted a Cigar, I should have a cigar. If I want a pipe, I should have a pipe. So, I do that most of the time.

4. ryan65

ryan65 Member

i heard billy bud has cigar leaf in it and is supposed to be a really good, not sure though?:confused:

5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I haven't tried GLP Robusto yet, but GLP Key Largo is very good, IMHO!

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Billy Bud is where it's at

7. Smokey

Smokey Member

+1 Key Largo

8. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thank you very much for the input guys.

One thing I noticed is that all these blends tend to have latakia in them - whereas a cigar does not (or at least I can't detect any kind of latakia). I am not a huge fan of latakia (yet).

What is the closest blend to lets say rubbing a cigar and putting it in the pipe?

Thanks again

9. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

H&H Stogie is quite good. Priced right. Available. Hey, it's H&H! :D

Ed
    Puff

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A lot of the C&D burley blends have that "cigar thing" going on, even though they don't contain cigar leaf. I got distinct cigar notes from "Big-N-Burley" and "Burley Flake #3".

11. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

i'll second recommendations for Robusto and Key Largo from GLP.

in my experience, and from what i've seen people say around the net, cigar blends for pipes don't ever really replace a cigar, but "harken to" or "bring to mind" cigars. i'm pretty sure the delivery methods are different enough that it won't ever be a perfect replacement. but i won't complain. Robusto and Key Largo have a complexity and flavor profile that i've never had in a cigar, while very effectively scratching that "i want a cigar" itch. another observation is that they generally are really good hot weather smokes for me.

the only advantage cigars have, imo, is that they're slightly more portable on the way out the door, are a bit easier to share with buddies that don't have pipes, and generally don't require me to carry anything home. flavor and satisfaction wise, there's probably a reason i'm posting this on PSF and not a cigar forum :)

12. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Living in Cyprus and the UK, I can't find GLP or H&H or C&D tobaccos. I knew that I couldn't get anything like this in Europe. I wanted to create a short list of cigar-like tobaccos to ask for when I trade with someone next (or maybe place an order on 4noggins).

So thanks everyone for their input it is greatly appreciated.

I do find that cigars tend to be more of a hot weather smoke as well. In the UK where it's cold, I smoke 2-3 bowls a day. Here in Cyprus, I caught myself buying cigars just for the fun of it. I do carry my pipes everywhere I go though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.