Cigar (sliced n' rub'd) in y'er bowl?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Anyone do this? Is it worth doing? I know some will smoke the cut-ends in their bowl, and so I guess it'd be a great way but I'm sure the flavors are a bit different. Will have to check this out. Have some Davidoff Zino Tubos and they look/smell like real good leaf. Maybe cut off some coins off one and smoke that in a bowl and then go burn the stick for a pipe vs. stick comparo.

Am I crazy? ;)

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

2. Zfog

Zfog Member

You probably are crazy. lol Not the 1st to try it though so you are not alone. I am an ex cigar smoker so I guess I would just smoke the cigar as is. Let us know if you try it!

3. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

You're not crazy per se, but a cigar is much more enjoyable as a cigar. The wrapper has a flavor all it's own that the tongue detects. I don't think it would translate as well on the palate when chopped up with the binder and wrapper tobaccos in a pipe bowl. It would be too monochromatic for my tastes.
    That being said, you should try it to see if it's something you'd enjoy.

:toast:
    -- Carl

4. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

What if you split the stogie, put the contents in your bowl and then took the wrapper leaf and chewed on it while you smoked? ;) Think I'm on to something? Eh? Eh? ... no, probably not. I'd give the cigar in a bowl a shot though just out of curiosity's sake. I've got a few Guantanameras laying around, maybe I'll try it and report back.

5. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

A guy at a local shop smokes the stoggie, then takes what's left and stuffs it into a pipe. His point is cigars are expensive, why waste. My thought is, isn't the end of a Custer like a filter? That would snake for a bitter smoke.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've thought of this for a while, but for whatever reason, have never tried it. I smoked cigars for 20 years before I took up the pipe. I've maybe smoked 2 in the last 2 years. There is a nice little cigar shop at the bottom of the hill from our neighborhood. If no-one tries it today, I'll go get a stogie I'm familiar with tomorrow and give it a shot.

I'm thinking I'll get Robusto or smaller ring gauge, and cut it into coins without rubbing it out. Stack the coins until the pipe is full. Maybe it will help with the wrapper taste? Not sure...

I almost hope I don't like it. My wife bought my first pipe because she doesn't like the smell of a stogie. I don't think she'd care for me falling in love with this idea and buying stogies just to chop up and stuff into a pipe. :p

Still, won't hurt to try ONE will it...? :rolleyes:

7. telltime

telltime Active Member

Puff: you surprise me... I thought you hated those stinky seegars.

8. Redone

Redone Member

Yuk..go for it but I notice a big diff in cigar toby and pipe except maybe Jackknife Plug... those are close :sh:

9. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I've blended maduro cigars when I find a cigar too plugged to smoke. I didn't care for the results when blended with va/vapers but it wasn't bad with balkans. The cigar tobac kind of "gets lost" in the balkans if you don't use too much. I kind of look at this as extending the pipe tobacco supply combined with not letting a cigar go to waste. I wouldn't buy a cigar with blending in mind.

WyoBob

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I've coined up lots of cigars and put them in a pipe, and smoked lots of butts. It just doesn't translate that well for me. I put a Perdomo Gran Cru through a grinder and smoked it, that was very muddy.

I did the coin thing about ten years ago, and the Perdomo a year ago Christmas time. I don't think I'll be trying it again soon.

11. Thomas Ford Jr

Thomas Ford Jr Member

Cigar best left as a stogie. I wouldn't even think of cutting up a good Gran Cru - good smoke "as is". I tried a few blends with cigar leaf and was not impressed. Like jpb said - sort of muddies up the taste of the rest of the bacca.

12. BradNTX

So, a Don Thomas hand rolled #2 Robusto is a long time favorite. You used to get them for $40 a box, and now they are $12 per stick if you can find them. I bought one, used a cutter to slice off 2 bowl-sized coins at the end. Smoked the rest of the stogie whole to get a base-line taste. Nice as I remember...

Took the coins and stuffed them in my MM Diplomat. At first light, they were a bit harsh. Like some stoggies, you need to get them going for the taste to smooth out. I got the burn going even and gently tamped. It smoothed out a little, but for whatever unknown reason, it never tasted like the cigar. In fact, I didn't even finish it. I smoked it half way down and dumped the bowl because it was pretty funky. Kind of disappointing. Don't think I'll go for that again.

13. skippymchaggis

skippymchaggis Member

thanks for taking one for the team, Brad.

just cause i'm curious, you cut a couple coins off the end and loaded em... did you just drop em in the bowl in two pieces?

14. BradNTX

Yes, with a little stuffing. The Diplomat bowl would not let me drop them straight in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.