Cigar tobacco in pipe - experiment

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jive Dadson, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

I have been playing around with cigar blends. I tried C&D Habana Daydream, which is a very nice smoke, but only vaguely cigar-like if at all. I also got some "cigar leaf" from Pipes and Cigars dot com and tried mixing it. Even smoked straight (which I do not recommend), it is not very cigarish either. I speculated that the problem, if one could call it that, is that the flavor and aroma of a cigar comes mostly from the wrapper. I could not find any loose cigar wrapper tobacco on the retail market. Therefore I decided to sacrifice one pretty high quality cigar to science. Well, the top third of one at least. The stogie was a La Gloria Cubana Serie R that I picked up at the local brick and mortar. I was advised that it is very strong.

[​IMG]
    As a control, I first smoked a bit of an intact cigar using the pipe as a cigar holder. It tasted and smelled exactly like a cigar - a strong one as advertized. Next I cut a third off of one, rubbed it out, and filled the pipe bowl. There was a huge difference. While distinctly more cigar-like than the bulk cigar leaf, it was quite different from the cigar itself. I will leave it to you all to speculate on why there was so much difference. It was not ghosting from the pipe, I am quite sure. The tobacco was strong enough to overpower an infestation of Caspers of biblical proportion.

I am left with the conclusion that achieving a convincing cigar-note in a pipe tobacco, if possible, is not straight-forward. I am also left with a spinning head and slight nausea. I am a reformed cigarette smoker who probably never completely broke the nicotine habit, but that cigar toback in a pipe knocked me on my recliner.

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I don't know if you're still looking for wrapper leaf, but check here:

http://www.leafonly.com

They have most constituent tobaccos.

3. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

I was aware of that site. I have not delved into it deeply, but it appears the tobacco there is not processed beyond curing. No casing or fermentation. I doubt that it would be usable as is. My tongue does not have the courage to test it.

4. kb7get

kb7get Member

Ain't this normal? I don't smoke cigars often, but when I do I also usually jam the left over butt into a pipe to finish it off..

"Waste naught, cough alot"

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sure hope you don't find coffee-flavored aromatics lacking in real coffee taste. Let me tell you - the real thing doesn't burn well! :D

SouthBound likes this.
  6. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

The wrapper on a cigar gives off the majority of its distinct flavor. If you crumbled up the wrapper it probably just got lost in the mixture. Cigar rolling is an art form for a reason. Wrapper, long leaf and filler all play a roll.

Paul

Trauma and jpberg like this.
  7. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

You are my hero for subjecting yourself to this experiment in the name of discovery! Hilarious AND necessary for those who like cigar leaf in their blends. I personally enjoy a blend named Wall Street that has cigar leaf and a tasty cigar aroma to it. I'd be happy to send some your way if you are so inclined.

8. Jive Dadson

Jive Dadson Member

Thank you for the kind offer. I think I will decline. I am off on other tangents now.

9. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Please continue your experiments as they are very entertaining :th1:

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

The difference in flavor between smoking a cigar, and the same cigar leaf in a pipe might be in the difference in combustion properties between the two. You can read this, and get an idea of what I'm talking about. http://www.apassionforpipes.com/classic-blog-posts/the-thermodynamics-of-pipe-smoking.html
    The post was touching on the differences you can detect in a blend lit by a match, and a lighter, but he does mention the different combustion properties of the two.

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I tried that, putting the butt end of a cigar into a pipe, and though the cigar had smoked beautifully, in the pipe it game me extreme tongue bite! I must have been puffing too hard... :(

12. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

A burley blend with some added cigar leaf has become one of my recent go to's, Storm Front. It can be purchased from 4noggins. I don't generally get much enjoyment from cigars, and that could just be the few cheap cigars I've sampled, but Storm Front is a fantastic smoke. I highly recommend it. The blend description says it includes cigar leaf.

Mark w4mms and MacNutz like this.
  13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I will have to give Storm Front a try. I'm most fond of cigars but can't afford the ones worth smoking. I've tried Habana DayDream, just one bowl, and did not taste the cigar leaf.

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.