Cigar trimmer/cutter to cut rope?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Don't have any rope unless it's already sliced and I'm lovin' it so I guess it's time for me to venture forward and get some "cat turds" jar'd away! :)

I've got some cigar cutters "guillotine" style and am thinking this would work, otherwise there's always the trusty swiss army!

Get a rope! ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Yep! I use the cheapie cigar cutters that most tobacco stores give away. Works very well for me.

Time to get some Brown Bogie? - mmmm powerful good!

3. Puff The Magic

I don't smoke cigars and have a few of the cutters from previous "freebies" when I did buy some cigars (sending to the troops). Cool! Thanks for the response and the recommendation. I hear BB is some strong shiite! :groucho:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have an Eskimo "Ulm" that I use for ropes and plug tobacco...great tool. Lately I've been smoking black and brown pigtail, a skinnier version of the rope.

5. Puff The Magic

Where ya gettin' that "pig-tail" T-bear? Please don't say the cat-box........ :thankyou:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

...guillotine...schmillotine!...get a good edge on ya pocket knife, and while you're at it - cut yourself a chaw! :roflmao:

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

t-bear.... ulU??? made one of those for my pops. i think he still shaves with it...

any rate, i'd recommend the cigar cutter route with ropes. the GH ropes are soft enough to hack up with a knife, but the SG ones are so dense you a) need something to cut them on and B) its really hard to control the cut. with a guillotine you can set very thin consistent slices. this coming from someone who smokes approx 3 inches of SG black XX twist a week. thats a lot more than it sounds like.

also, SG ropes dull the crap out of a knife instantly, so unless you want to be forever sharpening, go guillotine.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I tend to use meat boning scissors, preferably clean. I have cigar cutters, but I think the scissors handle the abuse best. My Spyderco Endura gets the nod if I'm out and about...admittedly rare anymore.

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....thick or thin?

10. Puff The Magic

chewed? :startle:

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Yeah Dub...ULU...sorry! Here is a Wiki link.....

I have a Brit friend from another forum who I trade with regularly. He keeps my supplied with the "pigs"....:groucho:

12. Puff The Magic

Cool Brit Friend!

I've used DePuy "Trauma Shears" on cutting my flake if I wanna do a bunch at once rather than taking the time and go at it with a blade and board. The shears do it fast and cut mighty skinny cubes if I want so I just mix the sizes all up and that gives me some finer stuff for the top-starter.

Something about a sharp edge, something even mo-bettah about two sharp edges working as shears!

Fiskars Kitchen Shears would do the same and those are fairly cheap and you may even have a pair somewhere tucked away.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

shave thin coins (about 1/16"-1/8") squish, then rub out like a flake.

edit: if you meant the diameter of the rope, its about 1" round, occasionally a little squished in one direction or the other though.

14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Haven't tried any ropes yet, but the lot
    of you are making me want some! Any
    suggestions? Remember, I'm not a
    perique fan.

Cigar cutter, brilliant!

dp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.