Classic Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalehead King

When was the last time there was a pipe ad in a mainstream magazine? Certainly no later than the Ford Administration. No? By mainstream, I'm counting second tier mass marketed niche things you would find on a newsstand in Grand Central Station or at an airport, so Field & Stream would count.

How late did pipe companies advertise in Playboy or Esquire? Into the 80s? I don't remember, but I didn't have my hands on them all that often.

wowsley

Wish I was around to see this type of print, of any kind!! Think many of us younger pipers would agree to that one.

The type of man who smokes a pipe is getting more rare every year, sure is a tragedy of our time.

Deckard

Here's some more, different product, but of the same sentiment which you don't often see these days.

Its a shame you don't see images like these anymore. When I was 11 my dad gave me my first rifle and when I told the kids at school about it my teacher called my parents in and tried to give them a reprimand. Then a couple years later a kid a couple towns over found a gun and shot his friend, while I had my own rifle and access to others and was perfectly safe. The only things kids these days know about firearms is what they see in movies and maybe if society didn't have such an irrational fear of them a tragedy like that would have been prevented. It certainly was a different world back then.

Deckard

While the recent resurgence of pipe smokers has brought us back from the brink of extinction we're still and endangered breed so I doubt we'll see mainstream pipe ads anytime soon.

Falconeer

Thanks very much for posting the old ads - it was really great to see them. One of my favourite bars in Glasgow ( R & G's ) was last reworked some time in the late 60s and it features a picture of Ronald Reagan advertisng cigarettes.

In Britain Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin used to be pictured advertising Swan Vestas "The Smokers Match."

Don't know what the present incumbent could advertise other than snake oil though,

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.