Classic B&M Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDLanoue

As this is my first post, I guess I should at least introduce myself. I'm a college student in Virginia, have been smoking pipes for just over a year and smoked cigars before that. Like most 'new' pipe smokers, I'm a big fan of aromatics, but I'm looking to expand my horizons. I've been following the forum for a while now, though, and decided now would be a great time to post.

I was thinking, especially after having read SBritton's 'Contest' thread, that we should have a thread for classic B&M stores. I'm thinking more along the lines of Boswell's and stores like that: Top-notch, well-run stores, perhaps that have their own blends, and that are just great all around tobacconists. With members all over the place, it'd be nice to have a running list of stores for which other members can vouch.

In my area is Milan Tobacconists. I've been a customer there for over two years and it is well worth the hour-long drive to get there. The proprietary blends of tobacco are all mixed in house, and the family that owns the store are just wonderful people and really know their tobacco.

If this has been done before, let me know. I searched and couldn't find anything.

So, who's good in your area?

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Welcome.

My area - Pipes By George, Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC.

Not my area, but Edwards Pipe & Cigar, San Marco/Jacksonville, FL - quite nice. Ask for Dino.

jvande7

In my area (Chicago, IL), the place to be is Iwan Ries.

www.IwanRies.com

Their site is a little rough around the edges, but their selection and eagerness to please is 2nd to none. I can literally walk in here 6 days a week and find just about ANY pipe tobacco. They also have 15,000+ pipes in stock, and one of the most badass smokers lounges imaginable-

http://www.iwanries.com/the-front-room-chicagos-premier-smoking-lounge.cfm

:eek::eek::eek:

One day I'll get the balls to go hang out and smoke in the lounge. For now I'm too much of a rookie.

Anyhow, I shop here whenever possible. I work right down the street so "whenever possible" is often. :puff:

Silverado

Old Morris Tobacconist, in Victoria BC has been in operation, in their current location, since 1892.

I'd love to visit there sometime. I believe there is a shop in Ontario that's been in business since the late 19th Century as well.

Smoker99

I was reading an old news article and was reminded of a pipe shop from years ago in downtown St. Louis. It was Jost's pipe shop.. It was run by Mrs. Jost in the early seventies when I was in there, and she was a pipe smoker. They made their own pipes and walking sticks on site. Their carver was a very old man at that time named Harvey Raspberry. They had signed pictures on the wall of all the celebreties they had made pipes for including Clark Gable and Bing Crosby.

I was young at the time, and could not afford their pipes, and was looking at tobacco. I made the mistake of saying I couldn't smoke a particular tobacco, because it bites. She promptly told me I could smoke anything I wanted if I did it properly. She said most men, regardless of length of time smoking, did not know how to properly smoke a pipe. She allowed as how most men had never owned a truly good pipe so they didn't know the difference, and were most likely smoking candified tobacco.

Another customer was there at the time picking up a new pipe. The carver took it apart, explaining the various parts, the importance of proper drilling, and the significance of using only Algerian plateau briar. They offered smoking lessons to buyers of their pipes to teach how to load and smoke a pipe properly. Those kinds of shops are long gone.

NDLanoue

Stores like Jost's are the ones that are awesome. Those stores make me feel like I was born just a little too late to really experience the heyday of pipe smoking.

I forgot to mention that Milan also has an exclusive cigar club - The Commonwealth Cigar Club. It's a bit pricey for me, but they also just let you sit around at the pipe tobacco bar in store and smoke.

I really feel like good stores where fellow pipers can come together and smoke is what it's all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.