1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Clay Pipe Identified & A Museum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mister Moo, May 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

http://i33.tinypic.com/3483ehf.jpg

My father-in-law (75) gave me this pipe a few years ago. He grew up in northwest North Carolina and his father was from the Shenendoah Valley in Virginia. Well, he had this pipe that his uncle gave him when he was a kid. All he knew about it was it "was around when I was a kid."

I was looking for something else and stumbled on this the other day: http://www.ramshorns...m/1119f1f30.jpg It's a match to the one he gave me - top row, middle. The Pamplin Pipe Factory closed in 1951, located in Appomattox Co. VA, is now a museum. Read more - http://www.ramshornstudio.com/pipe_.htm

I knew I'd find out where that pipe came from sooner or later. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Anyone ever have good luck smoking a clay pipe, colonial style or otherwise? I never got around to trying one.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,
    the Ramshorn site is excellent - I was introduced to it some years ago when I used to be in the re-enactment club/fast draw shooter at Glasgow's Grand Ole Oprey - we had guys who used to do the Early Americans and they used the site and smoked clay pipes. The woman who runs that site has done sound research.

I have never smoked a clay myself though I have seen them used ( the nearest I got was to try a Lepeltier pipe in the 70s which wasn't for me a resounding success ) - I'm told they get hot in action and have to be held by the stem. Pipe shops in the UK sell them around the £3.00 mark.

By the way did you see the home made pipe cases used to protect the fragile clays on the site - brilliant,

Gerry

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i have two clay pipes i smoke regularly, but they're earlier style than that. one is an elizabethan style clay pipe, about 4" long stem with a teensy little dublin bowl i can almost fit the tip of my pinkie into. the other is a tavern, about group two but with the back wall of the bowl buckled in so its shaped more like a cow horn than a proper funnel, and about a 12 inch stem.

they both smoke great. you could sort of taste clay at first, but that went away as they broke in, and now while you can obviously still tell its not briar or meer, its a very clean smoke, and i've never had any problems with heat or moisture no matter how fast i smoke in them, as they absorb all the moisture. lately the larger one which sees service twice daily (morning and night smoke) has had a bit of tar leaking through, no structural damage, just a bit spotty looking, supposedly you can fix that by sticking it in a wood fire.

great smoke though, and i'd really recommend trying clay. just remember it takes about 2x as long to really break them in compared to briar.

oh, and always always always hold it by the stem.

4. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Dubh....I clean mine by building a charcoal fire in the grill. When it burns down to coals, drop the clay down into the hot coals. When the fire goes out the pipe will look and smoke like new.

I have three. One is a Williamsburg Colonial tavern pipe, about 14" long. The other two are a 9" Irish clay that my brother brought back from the "Auld Sod" and a 4" no-name that I've had forever. Mine do get hot to the touch, but also have a clean all tobacco taste.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

That's pretty cool Moo! Have you smoked it yet? Are you?

6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

yeah, i've been meaning to clean it but i've been busy as hell so i'm lazy when i'm not actively doing something. was thinking about sticking it in the charcoal forge but i dont know what the flux i use would do to it so i thought better of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.