1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Clay pipes offered at P&C and SP

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by afiaowo, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I'm looking for some feedback based on working knowledge of the clay pipes offered at P&C or SP.

I would also appreciate recommendations if you're a clay smoker and find these pipes unsatisfactory

Thank you.

2. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

I had one church warden type clay pipe that my sister-in-law gave me back in the 90's. Basically, its s a poor man's meerschaum. I enjoyed it. Wish I could still find it so I could give you a better review. I do remember it smoking rather hot!

afiaowo likes this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Clay pipes are their own breed in the pipe world. They do have a meerschaum-like quality of imparting no flavor to a blend, and I use them to taste new blends or review tobacco. The bowl will get warm since it's not very thick or insulated, but holding them by the stem will keep that from being a problem.

I have a couple that I didn't pay more than 10 bucks for from some reenactment supply company (sorry I can't remember which one right now) and I would recommending trying a simple unglazed clay pipe before jumping into a $50 model.

afiaowo likes this.
  4. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Have you tried both? Would you provide a description of the difference between the way they smoke?

Thanks.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

6. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

7. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

I think I'm gonna have to pick up one or two of those dawnmist pipes. They are worth a shot.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If you want one for looks and/or novelty, I say snap one. Otherwise, they get really hot to the touch, and break easy. The non-glazed can also stick to your lips. You can't safely clench a clay because they can chip off or crack in tour mouth, though the ones with a clay bowl and traditional stem cure that issue.

For all that, their history and rustic looks make them kind of neat. If you get one, just be very careful...

afiaowo likes this.
  9. cigarmonkey21

cigarmonkey21 Member

On second thought maybe not. For the price of two of those pipes I can get a cob with a forever stem and be perfectly happy and worry free

BradNTX and Ozark Nick like this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I wish I could, but I have only had inexpensive clays, and ones made by people experimenting in making them for themselves. I don't reach for them very often, but there is one in particular that I use for sampling new blends.

11. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

12. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I wouldn't give up so quickly. Some of the pipes offered at pipeshoppe have removable stems.

13. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

14. Biggles

Biggles Member

I have a couple of clays but nothing from either of those vendors, so I can't speak directly to your OP, but generally speaking clays are good pipes and an interesting addition the herd. Enjoy.

afiaowo likes this.
  15. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

My favorite clay pipes are the civil war kind, with the reed stem, hefty amt of clay on the bowl and the reed stem can be clenched. When youre done smoking it fits in your pocket and you dont worry about breaking anything.

afiaowo likes this.
  16. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

I decided to go with something rather close to that.

[​IMG]

http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_bamboo_stem.php

SouthBound likes this.
  17. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Nice. That'll be a cool looking pipe if you can keep from breaking long enough to turn black & oily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.