1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Clay Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by CoreyR, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoreyR

CoreyR Living the sweet life!

I have been enjoying my clay Tavern pipe so much that I thought we needed a thread just for clays. Thoughts?

2. jgWatson

jgWatson Member

I had an old little clay pipe (about 4.5" long, not a tavern pipe) that I used to enjoy a lot, until I was careless and crushed it. I paid $4 at an antique store though, so it wasn't a big deal.

I enjoyed the un-sullied flavor the tobacco, similar to meerschaum, and particularly found it interesting for latakia-heavy blends.

BernardLerring likes this.
  3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Funny you should mention Latakia, the first time I ordered pure Latakia, I got a 7 1/2 inch clay along side. I found the tobacco much nicer in the clay than my usual briar. Sadly, I ended up snapping the stem by accident and never got round to replacing it.

4. CoreyR

The good thing about a "tavern" is that it is so long. If I snap it, I just have a shorter clay. LOL Plus clays are CHEAP. Easy to replace. I am extra careful though. Rather not have to replace mine.

5. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

True, sadly mine snapped at the base :-(. As you say they're cheap enough though, just have to pull my finger out and do it.

6. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

I occasionally smoke a tavern also, it's a bit of a hassle because you have to be so careful and I have not found a perch for it to set it down on while smoking, and keeping it in my hand for the 1h - 1h20 it takes to smoke is a real drag, but it really is a nice change on the flavour side.

7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

They all break eventually. I smoked clays as a teen because of the price. The pipe that started as a churchwarden invariably ended up as a nose warmer. I only managed to keep one of them until it broke in .

8. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

where do you guys buy your clays from?

9. CoreyR

I usually smoke mine as the "last smoke of the day," while sitting down and reading or watching a movie. No real need to set it down that way. Just clean it out when finished and put it back in the rack.

10. CoreyR

I am lucky, I travel to Williamsburg, Va regular, for busness, so I purchase mine at the Pottery Shop directly. $9.95 each for the long Taverns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.