Cleaning - don't underestimate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocipio

I thought my tin of wol of was going bad as i got 3/4 done. The taste was sour and bitter. The next day i cleaned out my pipe. Ahhh, the taste is back!

All you beginners out there... Do not underestimate the importance of cleaning your pipe!

Just thought i'd share...

Ivycap

Yes sir. Not to mention it's actually a fun little hobby too! Why it's pretty darned relaxing to lay out the beauties every once in a while and make an evening of giving them a good deep cleaning.

babysinister

To realize how gunky-dirty a pipe can get, even after swabbing it but good with a fluffy, try cleaning the chamber, airway, mortise and stem with Brebbia's pipe cleaning fluid. A good swabbing with this will turn several pipecleaners purple-black. I use Brebbia every two months or so, and have been able to keep the pipes sweet and forestall having to use the salt&alcohol treatment, which risks drying up the briar if not controlled well. After using Brebbia, however, it's important to rest the pipe for a couple of days to allow the minty ghosting to evaporate completely. But then it will smoke like new.

Edit: Just don't get any on the outside of the bowl, as it's not good for the stain.

stummel bum

I use everclear on a cleaner in the stem and shank bout every other smoke. Keeps em nice and sweet. Making sure to rest your pipe long enough goes a long way as well.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
It's official. Clean pipes taste better. Face it readers, this is not a stinky pipe forum. If you have stinkpipe, sourpipe, swampbowl, grungestem or, if you suddenly notice that formerly good tobacco has gone from blah to pooik there are only a couple of possibilities:

1. "Tongue fatigue." Cure - change tobaks for a while or take a few days off.

2. Dirty or swampy pipe. Cure: dry and/or clean you pipe thoroughly.

3. You are smoking Mixture 79 or Paladin Black Cherry regularly. Cure: psychiatric help. Check with your insurer to see if tobacco counseling is covered under your plan.

jvande7

I recently cleaned my Savi 920 Roma with some vodka because I wanted to get the Latakia smell/taste out of it. I didn't have any grain alcohol so I used some vodka. I plan to buy a cheap bottle of grain alcohol soon though.

Anyhow I poured a small amount of vodka into the bowl and let it stand for about 10 seconds and then tilted the pipe and slowly poured it out the stem. Then I let it air-dry a while and took it apart and cleaned it. It got rid of the Latakia ghost, which was really very minimal to begin with since it was only from a couple bowls of Squadron Leader. I needed to get the latakia out so I could have another VA bowl since that seems to be what I'm burnin' the most these days.

What's a good pipe cleaning tutorial to read? Do you need to use tools/brushes/etc? I don't expect I'll need to clean my pipes very often but I want to know how and have all the tools around just in case...

Ivycap

jvande7 said:
Anyhow I poured a small amount of vodka into the bowl and let it stand for about 10 seconds and then tilted the pipe and slowly poured it out the stem. Then I let it air-dry a while and took it apart and cleaned it. It got rid of the Latakia ghost...
See? Vodka worked didn't it? I don't use quite that much though. What the pipe cleaner will soke up will do wonderfuly. Yeah, yeah, I know. Everclear is better. :p

user0003

mister moo said:
it's official.............you are smoking mixture 79 or paladin black cherry regularly. Cure: Psychiatric help. Check with your insurer to see if tobacco counseling is covered under your plan.
.......:XD:

Falconeer

Hi All,

Yup cleaning is vital and doesn't have improve the tatse of your tobacco. My routine's to simply run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after each smoke and dry ream the bowl with a wadded tissue. At night that day's pipe get run through with pipe cleaners soaked in whisky - works for me!

As I found when I took to cobs, drying the pipe out is as vital as cleaning to keep things tasting sweet.

Best to all

Gerry

babysinister

Falconeer said:
Hi All,

Yup cleaning is vital and doesn't have improve the tatse of your tobacco. My routine's to simply run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after each smoke and dry ream the bowl with a wadded tissue. At night that day's pipe get run through with pipe cleaners soaked in whisky - works for me!

As I found when I took to cobs, drying the pipe out is as vital as cleaning to keep things tasting sweet.

Best to all

Gerry
Gerry, do you have any trouble finding the whiskey where you live? Do you use single malt or a blended whiskey for cleaning that pipe. Good idea btw. I wouldn't mind that ghosting in my pipe, even for a longer while.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
babysinister said:
Gerry, do you have any trouble finding the whiskey where you live? Do you use single malt or a blended whiskey for cleaning that pipe...
Once again it's the piercing, incisive and insightful interrogatories going directly to the heart of the matter for the betterment of all pipe smokers, their families, their pets and the friends of their pets. There are pipe forums and then there are pipe forums. We stand apart, sometimes teetering and drooling, but always with smoke coming out of our noses.

(Schcotlund for evvah, Gerry. Happy New Year.)

babysinister

Alas, I meant to steer my post into the serious inlet of this pipe-related topic, but was quite swayed from that lofty purpose upon reading the word "whiskey", the very sight of which hath ravished and waylaid me. I thereupon turned the ship towards the whiskey bay, with the assurance of a sleepwalker that is manning the helm of a dark phantom vessel. But my intention was indeed to agree with the Caledonian poster that whiskey is, indeed, a great pipe cleaner and a peerless sweetener. That purpose I think I have nonetheless achieved. Therefore I regret nothing.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
babysinister said:
...But my intention was indeed to agree with the Caledonian poster that whiskey is, indeed, a great pipe cleaner and a peerless sweetener. That purpose I think I have nonetheless achieved. Therefore I regret nothing.
I know your intentions were marginally honorable. But can they actually GET whiskey over there? I thought it was all exported to my brother.

babysinister

Mister Moo said:
I know your intentions were marginally honorable. But can they actually GET whiskey over there? I thought it was all exported to my brother.
Ah, the beautiful Isle of Islay. Single malt whiskey is a gift from heaven indeed. I bet your brother has some clean and sweet pipes.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
babysinister said:
Ah, the beautiful Isle of Islay. Single malt whiskey is a gift from heaven indeed. I bet your brother has some clean and sweet pipes.
He quit smoking so he could afford the booze.

Tinderfoot

babysinister said:
....Just don't get any on the outside of the bowl, as it's not good for the stain.
Speaking of things that are bad for the stain on pipes, baby: exposing my pipes to your avatar pic (the baby with the weirded-out look) has stripped the stain on the last 3 briars that I have smoked while reading your contributions.

Now I am forced to smoke my meerschaums if there is a chance that you might have responded to a thread. :XD:

Tinderfoot

PS: Try Clynelish....the new king of all single malts.

babysinister

I don't think you have to worry much about that Tinder, as the writing is on the wall that may correct that problem for good. BTW, doesn't your flaming claw avatar burn out and scratch your pipes when you clean them?

Status
Not open for further replies.