1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Clear coated pipes - do they affect the smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by DLWJohn, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

I came across a nice partial rusticated bent billiard in an antique shop the other day, and for $5 I couldnt pass it up. I'm still working on cleaning it up, so I havent smoked it yet. I'm curious about one thing though, it has a clear coat on it of some sort, I've never seen a pipe with one before. Its started to flake in a few small spots but it still looks half decent. Would this affect the way the pipe smokes at all? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I thought the briar had to "breathe" to dissipate the heat, wouldnt the clear coat then seal it off and make it smoke hot?

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    I wouldn't worry too much about the clear coat to be honest.
    I've got one Parker Jockey Club pipe, a relatively cheap one, where -just like in your case- the lacquer has flaked off; perhaps due to heat.
    The pipe is still a great smoker, especially Flakes kind of "blossom" in it when smoked! Happy days!:bing:

3. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

I'm not sure where the myth that pipes "breathe" or need to started but it's just that. A myth. You might be suprised at the number of high end pipe artisans that use at least a thin coat of shellac to seal the stain and get a mirror like shine on their pipes. I haven't tried it yet on any of my pipes but that's how the big guys get that amazing mirror finish. They wipe on a thin coat of shellac then wipe it off. There's just enough to seal the pipe and stain and lend a great finish.

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it, just smoke it and enjoy!

5. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I got one too. It's no big deal. Smoke it, Holmes.

OBD.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have a Peterson Kensale that is laquered, or clear coated----very shiney. I try to keep the heat down when smoking it. As far as it effecting flavor--no it doesn't do a thing there. I was forewarned not to work the pipe hard as the heat may damage the finish. Its a good smoker.

7. DLWJohn

DLWJohn Member

Thanks for all the replies, and thats what I was hoping to hear. Its a pretty nice looking pipe, I didnt want to ruin it by messing with the finish.
    [​IMG]

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Nice looking pipe...should smoke quite well once you get her cleaned up a bit. No worries on the high gloss finish...doesn't effect the smoking qualities of a pipe. Just enjoy!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If it's shellac on the pipe and it's blistering off then its not a big deal , thought it will continue to blister and fade off . Shellac wears off in time and if it wasnt applied to thick probably wont matter . Shellac isnt so bad compared to laquer . I think laquer effects a smoke . If ya dont believe me .. go buy a nice shaped Grabow and enjoy smoking through the laquer . After many a bowl and alot of time , it will smoke cooler .. I dont mind buying old Grabows on ebay , cause somebody already went through the extended break in period . If I get one ... I refinish the pipe . Sometimes the laquer isnt on so heavy and sometimes it is real thick .

10. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Nice pipe...enjoy!

11. tyler

tyler Member

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I have a Big Ben Barbados and it's finished with a very heavy coat of something (varnish?, laquer?) and it's an excellent smoker! I think it's the combination of the big airway (filter removed) and the wide/shallow chamber that makes it such a good smoking pipe. The thick finish on the outside doesn't seem to affect what's happening on the inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.