Club blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Luckistrykes, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

i'm not sure how i feel about this one yet. i have a little under two ounces of it left. i enjoy the taste, but as i tend to smoke a little hot it seems to bite. i've been rubbing out the coins and backing them loose. aside from me slowing down is there another way to pack this kind of tobacco that might slow the burn down? sas your the club expert how do you smoke it?

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think one key to that stuff, and to many flakes, is that they hold more moisture, for longer, than a rubbed out tobacco. So you pick it up, and it feels pretty dry, but really it's not. So one idea is to rub it out and dry it very thoroughly, so you aren't forcing a hot steamy smoke.

Generally, I put this stuff out on a plate for 1/2 hour or so, then just kind of put the coins in my hand and crunch them up a bit, and load the whole thing into the pipe (this works well for a tapered bowl but will work in any pipe). Fill the pipe loosely, with a lot of expansion room. Light, tamp, etc. It can be fussy to get going.

Then just smoke it slow as hell. The faster you smoke it, the less rewarding it is, and that's the case for many virginias and light aros, because if the burn temperature is too high, all the flavor is literally up in smoke.

It took me a half a tin before I "got" the blend. Till then, I was not real thrilled with it. Then it just started to be that when I smoked other stuff, I wound up wishing it was Club.

It's weird tobacco.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think it comes out best packed loosely in the trash can. Just sayin...

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not a big C.B. smoker but I wouldnt turn it down for sure . I like the room note of it and the " teaish " flavor , to me , along with some nuance of other flavors.Hadnt had it in a while , just going off memory . I think I'd smoke it more if it had alittle more nicotine I think . I dont like being bombed out with nicotine but something in the middle is to my liking . I know some people who really dig this one ... other than SAS

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ed McMahon voice:

Way-oh!

HA HAH HA!

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Sas wore me out talking about this one so I finally copped a couple of tins dated SEP 2010.

It has about the nicest smell ever in the tin. It's like.... wonderful.
    It dries fast.
    MacB CB fills easily. This explains why a no-finesse hairball like Sas is happy to be a cannonball-to-cram'n'jam pipefilling man.
    It lights easily, poofs up for a quick charing tamp and burns razorsharp, a tad on the warm, but not bitey, side.
    Nuances - it has a light, nice thing going on with small sips and snorks.
    The periodic rich hit is almost "Wow" on a relight, a thumb-venturi or when a few long sips on a cool pipe turns out opaque cloud.

I'll let this tin air out for a bit and smoke it over the next few weeks so, maybe, I can get a better hold on it.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I don't know how many hats you wear, Moo...but add one for necromancy.

8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

When I smoke club blend, I find myself wishing it were Dark Twist.

9. Brian

Brian Member

I like Club Blend a lot. In fact, smoked through all mine and been wanting to buy another tin for a while.

I agree this has to be smoked as slowwwwwwww as possible. It can get a bit warm easily. I love the light toasty VA, and then getting some of that punchy dark danish black Cavendish.

Sometimes I rub it out, but that tends to blend the two flavors all together.

Most of the time, I prefer to do something like Sas mentioned -- wad up some coins one at a time and shove them in, leaving plenty of room for expansion. That way, you get alternating sweet VA and then other times you get the punchy Cav.

Love that stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.