1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Coastie Strikes Again

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Super K, Dec 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super K

Super K Active Member

Where to start?
    1st ebay pipe, an old Kaywoodie which I cherish due to its history. It was made when quality meant everything . The fact that it still smokes very well and has survived this many years is a testament to this old pipes character. It was a Codger pipe when the old codgers here were still in diapers.

Unfortunately, it needed some spit and polish so it could shine again. The stem was fairly oxidized and the briar's finish had seen better days. I can rebuild carburetors, install structural curtain wall glass framing, brush my teeth, and almost cook ramen, BUT for I'm scared to death of trying to ream or polish a pipe. This pipe had survived at least 70 years and I didn't want to kill it in 2 minutes with a bench polisher or Dremel.

I had seen a post somewhere here of Coastie's work and decided to look him up . I was a little apprehensive in just coming out and asking an established member if he would work on my pipe, but he was beyond approachable and made the process painless. Communication throughout the process was beyond what I expected, I can't explain how well he handled the entire process.

So, here it is , before and after.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again Coastie, this old classic will shine on .

DS86, Rockbass, Vauen1 and 2 others like this.

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Holy crap. You didn't tell me it was that old. Good thing, I would have been afraid to take it on.

Special K deserves this nice codger pipe.

3. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

Great job Coastie and great looking pipe Super K. If I didn't know better, I would think those were two different pipes. :appl:

mitchell likes this.
  4. Super K

Super K Active Member

I believe 1928 or 29," patent applied for", KBB. Definitely not the oldest KBB, but about the second iteration of Kaywoodie. Pure Americana.

mitchell likes this.
  5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Nice eBay score.

6. Vauen1

Vauen1 Member

Wow great job :gjob: congratulation to your new baby:th1:

User3940 likes this.
  7. holymolar

holymolar Member

Very nice restoration. Looks like a new and different pipe.
    You were smart to send it to Coastie. He does great restorations and his rustications are outstanding.

User3940 likes this.
  8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Nice! I guess I should be more careful with me 115 year old CPF meerschaum that I am resurrecting... LOL It was officially dead when I got it. Thank you for the reminder to have some reverence for the so-old-they-are-historical pipes.

User3940 likes this.
  9. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Yep, Kaywoodie applied for the synchro stem patent in 1927 and immediately started making them stamping them "patent applied for" they received approval of the patent in 1932 and dropped the stamp. The synchro stem being the threaded part of the stinger.

Super K, Raffxr7 and User3940 like this.
  10. mongo

mongo Active Member

WOW! That is a beautiful pipe Super K! And Coastie.... you rock! Great job on the restoration. I guess I won't be afraid to acquire any estate pipes knowing that they can be brought back like that.

11. Super K

Super K Active Member

Thank you again, I believe it was from information that you posted I was able to better identify the year(s) this pipe was made.
    I have yet to smoke it since it was cleaned and restored. I'll probably dedicate it to Field and Stream in memory of my grandfather. I enjoyed a few bowls of FS in it before Coastie worked his magic and it seemed to be a good match of tobacco and pipe.

12. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Your welcome for sure, if I could remember everything I've learned about pipes over the years I'd be a wealth of information, unfortunately my memory is a lot like old Swiss cheese....what's there is rock solid, but there are a lot of holes in it.:wch:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.