1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cobs with an actual "cob" shank

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Long ago ('60's era) MM put out the "Monogram" line that consisted of their highest grade cob bowls and matched them up to a shank (MM calls it the stem, don't know why they call it that, oh well) that was an actual corn cob but skinny so it was "shank sized". MM has discontinued production of the "Monogram" and the "Custom Grade" lines of pipes early '70's-ish (maybe earlier). I guess getting the high quality of cobs needed for these wonderful cobs from their suppliers became thin to non-existent.

Anyone have any old MM Monograms or Custom Grades?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I too, would love to see these. I wonder how sturdy they were/are.

3. dmaupi1

dmaupi1 Member

Discontinued, quality and 1970s. Genetically Modified Corn?

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

You mean like those tiny corn things that you get in Chinese food? (I pick those out BTW).

Also..doesn't MM grow their own cobs from a special hybrid they developed?

5. Puff The Magic

As for the sturdiness of the little cob shank, they wouldn't have been MM's "Top of the Line" cob (MM Monograms) if they weren't sturdy.

MM didn't start "growing their own" until they weren't able to get the quality of cobs they needed. Hence the smaller bowls of the past 30 years. Didn't the hybrid-corncob start up within the past 10-20 years?

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. dmaupi1

dmaupi1 Member

I think the tiny Chinese cobs were originally hybrids for smoking opium? :roflmao:

I guess hybrid is the proper term.

With MM making "3500 pipes per day" your bound to lose quality for quantity. Living in MO and seeing them in every freakin' little shoppe as a souvenir makes you dismiss them for any serious use. Guess I should start hitting local garage/estate sales!

7. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have seen a MM with a thicker cob shank and tapered stem, it looked like a standard billiard shape pipe, but made of cob. Is this one of the lines of pipe you are referring to, or is this something different? I would like to have one of those, though, one of the better looking cobs I have ever seen as it did not resemble a regular cob pipe.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I have read of these but never seen one. Having an interest in old things generally and history in particular this is an area of particular interest to me.

The nearest I ever got to one of these was a 1940s "reed steemed" cob, which while it has a smaller bowl than is the norm nowadays is a great smoker, and not just for trying out new blends.

Thanks for starting such an interesting thread and I'll keep an eye on it to see what other info comes up,

As ever

Gerry

9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

No actual cob shank here....but I like this one! - anyone else still have one?[​IMG]

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

11. Rider

Rider Member

12. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A little story behind this one! - about six years ago I was spending a couple of weeks on the island of Crete, I had two pipes with me, and lost one of them. Thought I'd look around for another - to take the pressure off my remaining 'Donegal Rocky', I'd about given up - when I spotted this cob in a little back-street store. Back home - it was tossed into a drawer in my workshop, and remained there until a couple of months ago, when I dusted it off and started smoking it again!. Yes - it's real bamboo, someone will need to correct me on the name....something like - 'wang hee'?, and apparently MM stopped making them a few years ago, I believe it was something to do with bamboo availability. It's a really good smoker with hardwood plug in the bowl, and now lives in the shop, and used when I'm machining.
    Cheers, OT.

13. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

14. telltime

telltime Active Member

Yes. I need one of those too.

15. doc_jude

doc_jude Member

Me too! I'm wondering what kind of finish is on the bamboo, I think it would be pretty easy to mate the bamboo to a pre-existing joint for the wooden stem/shank. Maybe the bamboo shank could be fit with a Forever stem?

Okay, I may start experimenting...

16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I have an old MM that was made with a wooden diamond shank and much heavier (than current) stem. It's pretty cool.

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Apologies - I seem to have led this thread astray a bit, but the cob in my earlier picture surprised me by receiving a few admiring remarks!. I gave it a good clean and buffing today, now it looks too pretty to live on my bench, and I have far too many pipes - and a dozen cobs!, so would be happy to pass it on to a new home ( shipping charge only!) if anyone is interested?....first come - has it! - PM?. Won't be online for few hours now - bedtime for Ted! :thumb:

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Go for it Lads - this is a once in a lifetime! As you'll never see a Scotsman giving away free money you'll never see a "Tyke" giving "owt" away ever again!

Actually it's a very generous offer by Ould Ted - well done mate!

Gerry

19. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Speaking of generous, a certain Scotsman sent me a Hackert a while back with an interesting diamond-shaped wooden shank. This baby was totally made for CH!
    My only regret about cobs is not trying them sooner!

20. Puff The Magic

OT, no apologies needed here! I'm a cob-lover and enjoy all cobs! I used to have one like your "Bamboozled Patriot" back in the late 70's to mid 80's. It was indeed the "Wang-Hee" as in half China, and half "Hee-Haw" Hillbilly! Great pipe. Classy! Class act you giving away your Wang OT! I gave mine away to a piper friend.

I've tracked down a fellow piper who has a bigger cob collection than mine and am in the process of convincing him to let one (or a few :groucho: ) of his MM Monograms go. If I'm lucky, I'll post pics. Hopefully, I'll be posting pics/links!

I know MM has a fine "current line up" of cobs but there's just something about them older ones.............

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.