1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cobs.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Badcompany, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    I've never smoked a cob so what do I look for when purchasing.Is there a pacific type or brand I should be looking for.
    Badcompany.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

There is only 1 brand to Missouri Meerschaum! Beyond that the model will depict how big of a bowl you want. The good part is that they are dirt cheep but are still a quality product so whatever you end up with won't be money wasted.

Many of us like the Diplomat model as it has a wood plug in the bottom of the bowl that can/will help extend the life of the bowl.

3. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

I found the site and they are cheap. How do they smoke compered to a briar, is there any breaking in.I like the Country Gentleman model.
    Badcompany.

4. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I think only the Diplomat and Great Dane models have the hardwood bottom. I've used the Washington, Mizzou, and Missouri pride myself, they all smoke great, but without the hardwood bottom they don't always last as long. The Missouri pride and Mizzou I had both died after about a month of heavy use, the Washington looks like it will last maybe a month more if I keep using it every day. Still great for the price, I think I will get the hardwood bottom versions next time.

As for break in, the only thing you might want to do is not smoke the last bit of tobacco at the bottom of the pipe and set it down and let it burn on its own until it goes out. I did this the first 4 or 5 times to burn the top of wood shank that extends into the bowl away, then you can carve it down with a knife a little if thats not enough.

5. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Im still fairly new to the cob heads, i only have 2. But as i was in the process of buying mine i came to this place for advice, and all across the board the same was said, cobs need to break in time, they are good to smoke from the day you get them. And i have noticed that to be true as i smoke my cobs. Now to the smokeability of a cob, top rate, just love it. The way you will taste the tobacco in a cob is so much more than you will in a briar, its much more crisp. And both of my cobs pull with such ease. Now my favorite is the MM freehand cob, since i have gotten it i have yet to smoke anything but it. Another great thing about a cob is you do not have to dedicate the cob to just 1 type of toby you can smoke whatever you want in them with no fear of ghosting them. All in all cobs are a awesome way to go cause they are very affordable and smoke great, but dont get me wrong im not takeing away from briars at all i still love them and will continue to smoke and buy them for as long as i smoke. But my personal advice would be, if you want to try a very awesome cob, try the MM freehand cob!!!!! :velho:

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'd start with no less than MM. I shop directly off the site but also do buy my cobbage from Walkerbriarworks.com for the "banded" cobs (they're nice!) and their Forever Stems (they're even nicer!), and then at the crest of cobhead hill is Jake Hackert (IMO) who reworks MM's cobs into incredible pieces.

Like I said, start with NO LESS THAN MM. If you don't go for a fancy stem (Forever stem), then get a few extra MM stems because they get chewy like a "chewed up straw" after a while of clenching.

The General is a cob that totally RAWKS (again, IMO). It's a Freehand bowl (innerds) and a nice 2-3hr long smoke. For the most awesome cc experience, the MM Freehand/CCSS reign king. 3-cents

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: I understand Mars has the cobs priced less, but the stems are more........regardless, get one! Better yet, get a few!

7. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

I've ordered the Diplomat gift set one straight and one bent, with medico filters.The only problem is I'll have to wait 7 or 8 day's :wtf: for shipping to the UK.
    Badcompany.

8. Puff The Magic

As Tom Petty sings, "the waiting is the hardest part"! Wonder if Tom was writing about PAD & TAD...... Anyway, go smoke something else, get your mind off of it, still keep it on the back-burner but don't focus on the wait......very hard to do but get your mind off of it, go enjoy a bowl of your fav in your fav. Before you know it, your arrival will be waiting for you to "go to town" with her/them.

Nice thing about PSF, all toby smoking "tools" are accepted openly. Cobs, briars, meers, don't know about hookahs though. Congratz on your order and when your cobs arrive, ENJOY them pups!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

IMO it's a much "crisper" taste of whatever weed you're burning in them.
    Also, IMO, They seem to smoke best when there's a light cake through bowl. Once I get that light cake I keep it down by reeming the bowl with a rolled up paper towel.

I buy "Grabow" filters because they're a bit longer then cut them in half with side cutters and use half a filter in each pipe. It seems to work just as good as using a whole filter but can save some bucks as you go along. :wtf:

I take no credit for these little "tricks" because I learned them here. :velho:

10. Puff The Magic

BadCompany, as for cobs, only you can tell if a cob is for you. What I find in cobs:

1. First off, the price, dirt cheap for what you get.

2. To me, they smoke (as Mike B states), they give me practically the most flavor from any toby I've smoked in them. Comparing them to briars & meers, the flavor in the 'baccy seems to be a bit diminished or "muted" when smoking the same toby in one of these (briars & meers). Not everything comes through as opposed to cobs. With cobs, I can tell what the toby is all about.

3. They are the least "fussy", very dry, clean, cool smoke. No gurgle or at least nearly so. A very utilitarian pipe.

4. If they get "nasty" or an accident happens (like dropped in a mud-puddle as one of my CCSS Freehands did), it's really no huge loss financially. It was only $25 in the loss. I guess a briar could be thoroughly cleaned and it would smoke nearly as good as it did prior to a "boo-boo".

5. You can easily upgrade them with a Forever Stem, or a stem of your choosing for not a huge expenditure or the need for an arsenal of tools. All I needed was sandpaper to custom fit an acrylic/vulcanite stem to the cob.

6. They can take smoking several bowls/day whereas a briar, it would be considered toward the "abusive" treatment for the briar. With a meer, you can smoke several too but meers are kind of fragile and can be quite fussy too.

:wtf:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

edit: 7. They tend to ghost the least.

11. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Thanks for all the replies,Excellent info as normal on this forum. :velho:
    Badcompany.

12. Stoked

Stoked Member

Thought you'd slip that in at the end and a meer aficionado wouldn't see it/let you get away with that? :velho:

Just funnin' Ed. But I am serious when I say that IMHO meers are far superior to cobs when it comes to not ghosting. :yes:

[​IMG]
    No ghosts around here.
    Although I think I just saw a streaker
    run into the bushes.

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Puff's said it all just about in his excellent 7 point exposition - if you want to keep the bits fresh looking, all I can add is that MM sells bits for 25 cents each - I usually order up some extras and have sucessfully fitted Legends with Danish bits in the past. Like many I find Diplomats the best of the MM range, oh and by the way the wait may not be too long; I live in Scotland and my pipes arived three days after I ordered the last ones from MM.

Happy smoking,

Gerry

14. Puff The Magic

Stoked-Perique, the reason I say meers DO indeed ghost is from personal experience. I had smoked some rather strongly portioned latakia toby (Georgetown Tobaccos, "Counselman") in an SMS straight apple meer, and hated it! It was the most gawdawful smoke I'd ever smoked! That confirmed my distaste towards latakias (that was then.....). For the next few years (yes years) I didn't want to smoke that pipe because of the flavors left in the meer. Up until then, it was one of my favorite smokes (the meer). It took me literally the next 20-30 bowls full to get any trace of that flavor out of the pipe. I probably should have ran some straight burleys through it but I didn't. Still smoked my aros and Va's and still could taste that awful latakia taste & odor.

It wasn't until last year, the SMS finally started smoking as it should have. This year, I finally came around to latakias and started to like them. I don't believe my newfound favor towards latakias (this year) has any effect on my experience.

Just sharing. No mal-intent against those who feel meers smoke without ghosts. If that's your experiences, cool. Maybe mine was an isolated one but to me, it DID happen.

Still smoke my meers and have begun to smoke my briars again but in my eyes and heart, nothing will ever replace the almighty cob!

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. Puff The Magic

#8. Cobs will smoke wet toby better/more successfully than either of the other two.

:thumbsu:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.