Compton's. How long?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AndyLowry, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Placed an order with Compton's and was charged for it on 11/25/11. Should I expect to see it sometime this year, or is 2013 more likely? (Yes, I know it's always a wait, but what kind of waits have others seen?)

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Last time I ordered I waited a couple of months called him and was told the order was shipping this week that was over 2 years ago but I was never charged. He came up to me at a show the year after I placed this large order and asked me why I never buy anything from him. He got his answer. Max posted to a Comptons thread on Smokers Forums last week and said that the mixtures might " semi industrialize the production in 2012" "But only if it doesn't compromise the quality". :confused:
    http://www.*******************/showthread.php?t=102362&highlight=comptons
    Edit sorry about the paranoid filter. :zom:

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I fully expected to wait a while, so I'm not freaking out at this point. I am a little surprised to have been charged before shipping, but maybe that's how they do things up in Canada. The culture differences and all, don't ya know. What forum is that, daveinlax? Google says it can't find the asterisks. :)

Edit to add: Nevermind, found the forum post. Thanks!

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

As little as a couple of weeks, as long as four months. The wait, along with the stiff prices and Max's crappy personality are all part of the charm.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

This thread just curbed any interest I had in trying the Compton's blends.

6. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

So he's the Glenn Gould of tobacco, then. :) Too bad we can't gamble here; this would be a great opportunity for a pool.

Hey, I know: everybody pick a date, and the one who is closest gets a sample of each blend from me. I've got Balkan, Macedonian, and Commonweal coming.

jpberg likes this.
  7. atlharp

atlharp Member

I dealt with him in the past. My first order took about a month, and my second order never arrived. It took a little while to get a refund,but it came through after calling him about 3 times. Overall, I love his Macedonian Mixture blend but his ****ty customer service and overall dismissal of their concerns will keep me from ordering from him again.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Buy a pipe from him, get your tobacco faster. Those are the only times I didn't wait. Without a pipe purchase, the wait ranges from 3 weeks to never.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Now you tell me. :)

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The Balkan is one of the top three tobaccos I've ever smoked.

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Three months last time. Max is a blessing and a curse.

12. dmkerr

Indeed. Some of his tobaccos are tops in their genres and remind me a lot of tobaccos from yesteryear. Whoever is blending them knows what they're doing. But Sales and Production could use some upgrading.

13. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Update: Wrote an email today to ask if shipping had taken place, and got a reply in a couple of hours saying that it had gone out "6-7 days" ago. Yee-hah!

I suppose it could have been an autoreply though. ;)

14. dmkerr

I hate to burst your bubble, but... (and I don't mean bubble butt)... I've heard that from him so many times only to receive it 2 months later. People don't claim that his customer service skills suck for no reason.

Hope he was telling it straight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.