• This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Conical Shaped Bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.

afiaowo

I’ve never picked up a handmade pipe before today. The Wiley’s and Heeschen’s that I checked out all had conical shaped bowls. I see from Heeschen’s website that he himself does this, “…because the standard 18 or 19mm drill doesn't give the right proportions to the chamber, and the chamber has to fit EXACTLY to the smokehole from the other side.”

Do bowls that are conical shaped smoke better than a production style bowl? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Sasquatch

Wizzard
The long and the short of it is, if you pack them just so, they perform great. If you pack them wrong, they perform awful.

Buying a pipe with a conical bowl has put lots and lots of people off of Danish pipes, I kid you not. "What's with the stupid conical drilling??"

If you pack it with a 3-tier method and tamp, the tobacco gets compressed real bad at the bottom and just makes a soggy mess. If you do a Frank pack, or any form of air-pocket, they'll be fine.

Once again it's the man, not the machine.

Raffxr7

I have two, and love em. So long as I do not forget to gravity pack the beasts, it will smoke as well as my best pipes. My meer has a conical bowl, too-and smokes great with the same rule. Pack them wrong and you'll likely cuss at it and want to throw it out the window. Sas's advice is obviously from a wiser source, but I had to second it. Give one a try, and see if it is for you.

Raffxr7

Right at the bottom, and the air draft going through the center-bottom are different things. You've probably not seen a bottom draft just yet :)

afiaowo

I believe I determined how I got the placement wrong. Although subtle, this is more accurate. It was certainly not up the side of the bowl in the examples I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.