Contentment or Curmudgeon

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RevSmoke, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Interestingly, one of my favorite rituals is the rubbing out of GH Louisiana Flake before filling my bowl. It is my "comfort blend".

2. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Hi Rev, its nice to see you. I want to thank you and Craig because of your reviews of Louisiana Flake, i had 2 oz sent and tried it for the first time last Friday. Yum, yummy yum yum! Love at first smoke!
    Had the 2 oz smoked before the weekend was over. Ordered some more Monday and should have had it by now. Checked the tracking thru Smokingpipes and saw it had arrived in Ankorage, Alaska earlier this am. The only thing wrong with that is that I live in Indiana. NowI am waiting, jonesing on the flake and have to wait till next week when it finds its way here. nbg Gonna have to hit on my lat blends till then.
    Thanks for the great review and reccomdations.

RevSmoke likes this.
  3. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I think there was more to it in years gone by. My grandfather smoked Half & Half everyday, I sure he probably tried others but H & H was " his brand". And I think there was more brand loyalty in his day.
    Granddad for example also smoked Tarryton cigarettes, drank Ballintine ale, ate round shredded wheat biscuits everyday and I never knew him to drive anything but a Buick.

I don't think it's because nothing else was available I just think that in his mind he'd found "the best" of each and was happy with that.

4. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

What you are about to read is not meant to be curmudeony, it is simply meant as an observation and then some further illumination into my particular pipe palate.
    RTOdhner, DGErwin11, ruffinogold, you guys seem to have some similar tastes. That is way cool. I must say that my tastes and yours are diametrically divergent.

A) MacBaren blends and my tongue do not get along, and never have. When I smoke them it is like someone took a blow torch to my tongue. It literally takes two days before I can taste anything again.
    B) Burley blends to me are blah, do not enjoy them at all. Never got any enjoyment out of CH, SWR, H&H, or any of the other burley blends from other places. C&D OJK is supposedly the cat’s meow of burley blends (at least in some circles), but even this blend, which has much in it besides burley, I find (for lack of a better word) boring.

So, although our tastes are different, we have come to a same place. GH Louisiana Flake are my CH, my H&H, my SWR, that which fills my pipe most of the time. When I go fishing, that’s what I bring with me. When I go golfing, that’s what I bring with me. I have been trying to get more PS Luxury Navy Flake into the mix because it is cheaper, but I still grab the GH LF more often.
    I recently purchased some other tobaccos in order to diversify my smoking, but I am guessing that they won’t get the attention they deserve.

Here is something to add to the mix. Normally, I smoke either a cigar or my pipe about 4 times a week – or less. If I am out fishing, I might smoke 6-12 bowls/cigars in a day. It is because of this that when I choose what to smoke, I want something that really satisfies me. As I said before, I want cigars that really keep my interest. With my pipe I want those blends that bring me comfort and contentment.
    Thanks for letting me begin such a thread and the great conversation this has led to.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

RTOdhner and YAPPG like this.
  5. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Glad you are enjoying it. Sorry to hear about the detour. Will pray that you find contentment in the blends you have available to you till it arrives. Latakia is always great in the winter though, at least to my tastes.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

YAPPG likes this.
  6. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Methinks you may be right. There was something to doing the same things every time. My grandfather was much the same way.

7. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I think a lot of it has to do with disposable income or lack thereof. Back in the day $$$ was tight and many budgets couldn't support the experimentation we take for granted today. For many it was simply to risky to waste money on a different blend if the current one was satisfactory. Plus today many of us tend to get carried away with our self indulgences and constant instant gratification. Just look at what a big business it is supplying us all with our big boy toys. :D

RevSmoke and DGErwin11 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.