Cool Hand Fluke...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by hoss, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoss

hoss Member

I was going through my tobacco journal yesterday and going over some of my experiences with blends i no longer have on hand to see if there might be a thing or two to put on the next TAD list. (Yes, i caved and wound up ordering a few things last night after doing my "homework.") However, when i got to the entry for John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke i noted the info copied into my journal from TR:

Four contrasting Virginias combine with 40% Perique for a blend that is suprisingly smooth.

Hmmmm...now i've done some home blending with Jewel of St. James Perique and i know from my experience with that stuff that if you put anywhere near that much of it in a blend you wouldn't be tasting anything else. In fact, just a good pinch in a bowl of baccy is too much. I've been blending it down well under 10% and it's still very detectable.

Also, a quick look at the description at 4 noggins mentions nothing of the % of perique in the blend. I'm assuming theirs is the manufacturer's description. If so, i'm wondering where the original reviewer @ TR got his info.

So what say ye? Is this a typo, perhaps just misinformation or is ole Johnny using a type of 'perique' that isn't nearly as strong as the original stuff from St. James Parish?

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

My guess is it's a typo. I don't think there's a blend around that uses even 10% as the flavor is so dominant and overpowering. I'm guessing they meant to say 4%.

If it was really 40% why would they be taking the time to blend four Virginias? They might as well just be using a straight burley since there's no VA out there can stand up to that much Perique, not that a burley would fare much better. It has to be a typo.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I just smoked some Cool Hand Fluke the other day. The perique was "just right" in my book. Mellow one moment and then momentarily would raise her hand as if she's gonna smak me and then lower it again, awesome smoke JLP! I don't really care how much number-wise/percentage-wise. All I know is I like it and that's all I care about.

Now, otoh, if I were to "add" some StJames-P, then I'd definitely go easy until I got what I'm looking for. I've thought of doing what you guyz are doing..........adding some blending StJ-P to some Va or Burl that I wanna kick up a level or two.........first gotta get some blending perique. :thumbsu: There are so many corners to turn in this world of pipes.........so glad I'm livin' it!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

Ed, McClelland has the finest St. James Perique. Others here will vouch for it as well. I bought 8 oz. of it which will probably last a lifetime LOL. I was afraid of it "going away". Who knows, if acid rain falls because of the Gulf oil spill, that would definitely impact the crop, although I'm sure they still have enough fermenting in the barrels that will last the world's supply for a while.

5. hoss

hoss Member

4% makes a heck of a lot more sense. You are probably right.

I haven't tried McC's yet. It'll take me a while to get through what i've got stashed away. :whistle:

I was in a small B&M near Portland when i found the Jewel of St. James brand jars in stock about a year and a half ago. I picked up a tin and then found that they were no longer making the stuff - and i liked it - so i called them a couple months ago and they still had one in stock. I snapped it up and have recently watched them go for a small fortune on the bay. I'll be keeping my own 2 jars for personal use. 4 oz will last me a LONG, LONG time.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm no perique fanatic but Cool Hand Fluke's a good 'un. I was asked to do honest reviews on this one last year - will see what I still have in my notes and see if I can post it tomorrow. I would emphasise before I do that while John and I are friends we have an "Honesty Deal" as we both write - so my review will be an honest one,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Rumor has it that C&D's Bayou Night is 50% perique, I bought a tin before hearing this and after smoking just one bowl I'll tell you I believe it. Roughest smoke I've ever had.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

OMG, you guyz are keeeeling me! Now, I'm gonna hafta get me a can o'perique (McCl - Thanks Perique for the rec!) and add a peeench to my jar of "XYZ" blend to kick it up a notch, BAM! "XYZ-Per" :icq_online:

Supposedly the 90's were Tobacco's Golden Age but I believe it is NOW. True, there's great tension in the world but if EVERYONE smoked a pipe, I feel it'd be a much cooler place..........

:woohoo:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

John Patton who is the blender for this blend, performs magic with tobaccos. It really is 40 percent and a real perique bomb. But it works, it tastes delightful and you can still get the VA goodness.

10. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Does anyone besides 4noggins carry John Patton blends?

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

As far as I know 4 Noggins is the only one to carry these blends. John has now given up blending as for health reasons he's had to give up smoking altogether.

I've managed to dig out my notes on this one - sorry it's a long post:-

"As pipe smokers we tend to take Virginias very much for granted, indeed just as we do with water in our daily lives, as they are so prevalent in most major blends.
    The comparison with water is actually quite apt – asked what water tastes like people’s initial reaction is to say, “Nothing at all!”

Well as one who has travelled extensively around the world, who has spent a lot of time walking long distances over the back hills and who has cycled over a lot of Britain, Spain and Mallorca, I can attest that water has a wonderful taste and that it tastes different in each locale.

Virginia is similar – it ranges from the standard issue “sweepings off the floor” type used in manufactured cigarettes to some surprisingly tasty, full, unadorned pipe tobaccos such as was the legendary Cope’s “Escudo” and the superior, in my opinion anyway, “Players Gold Leaf.”

Talking of Players’ Tobaccos, there is a very old, very weak joke from my extreme youth, which goes thus:-

“Jimmy and Mary had been out for a hard day’s Christmas Shopping, had stopped off for a High Tea and then called in at their local for a few “wee refreshments.”

Exhausted after their long day, they headed straight for bed when they get home, Jimmy following his usual practice of emptying out his pockets on to the bedside table insuring that his packet of Players’ cigarettes and his lighter were conveniently to hand for his wake up smoke in the morning, and they were soon fast asleep.

In the middle of the night, Mary started up and shook Jimmy awake –

‘There’s somebody in the room!’

‘Nonsense Woman, it’s your imagination! Away back tae sleep!’

‘But there is Jimmy, there’s somebody in the hoose – jist listen!’

Jimmy sighed, and sat up. Out of the darkness came a quiet voice and they could just make out the words, ‘ Six thousand and one, six thousand and two, six thousand and three, etc etc.”

“Och Woman! It’s nothin’ at a’! Ye ken wi’ Players “It’s the Tobacco that Counts!”

The relevance of this hoary old tale should appear shortly.

“Cool Hand Fluke”

“Cool Hand Fluke: When a burley lover who doesn’t really care for Perique creates a blend with 4 different Virginias that a Perique Freak can’t get enough of, that’s a fluke. This unique blending of four Virginias is complimented by the Perique, not dominated by them,” - so read John's notes on
    this interesting blend.
    I've commented already on how Virginias can be underrated. This blend to me tasted like a seriously good unadulterated old style Classic in the mould of Players' Gold Leaf – mild to medium in strength, satisfying in the mouth, easy on the nose, cool burning and slow smoking and with just the right amount of Perique to give character but not bite.
    Presented in a slightly more moist sample than most of John's blends, this tobacco was equally at home in a meerschaum, cob or briar. In all my pipes it smoked to the last shred.
    There's little more I can add, except to say I wouldn't keep this one beside the bed – the “Tobacco Counts” after all!

Gerry"

12. hoss

hoss Member

All i know is there is no way i could conceive of putting anywhere near that amount of the stuff i have with ANY tobacco and having it turn out remotely close to smokeable - and i love perique! Like i said, when i use mine for blending with VAs, it's a fractionary amount - perhaps in the 5% range and it's very detectable.

There must be a vast difference in the potency of the perique these blends contain.

I'm also the "chef" around the house most of the time and i know that things such as saffron (an herb) can be very potent depending on it's place of origin. For instance, a recipe that is performed with Spanish saffron can take 2-3X the quantity it would take to achieve the same effect with the Iranian plant.

13. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

All the Perique there is comes from less than 16 acres in St. James Parish, Louisiana and almost all of it is produced on a single farm. Anything that comes from anywhere else ain't perique.

14. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Frankly this tobacco amazed me. I didn't expect to like it - I cannot smoke a whole bowl of the old British Classic "Three Nuns" without getting severe tongue bite, which I have always put down to the fact that it contained Perique, but I had promised to give them all a try. I genuinely got no tongue bite with Cool Hand Fluke - in fact the only John Patton blend that did it to me was "Smoked Burley."

John always sourced his blending tobaccos through C&D and Mac Lellands by the way,

Best to all

Gerry

15. hoss

hoss Member

This article @ pipesmag sheds a little more light on the subject.

I'll quote:

Cut and paste removed

The Management

The question then is: Is the "Acadian blend," which is more than likely used in the high perique content blends we've already discussed a much mellower version than the 100% St. James? For that matter, was the Jewel of St. James brand (which i have in the cellar) 100% St. James? If so, that could account for the difference. :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.