Crack a tin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ozark Nick, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I've cracked a couple of tins of different stuff to try out.

How long will the tobacco stay good in an opened tin? Should I put the toby in a jar?

Thanks.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That depends on the type of tobacco and how damp it is to start with. Most tins will last at least a few weeks if not a few months. Your local humidity level will affect that as well. I've been hammered by the veteran celler-keepers, and now put everything in mason jars myself. They are cheap and come in lots of sizes fitting 50g tin to 1lb bags.

If you have less than 50g the babyfood jars work well too!

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I get about two weeks on an open tin before it starts to dry-out. I buy cheap jars from Wally World, transfer the toby from the can into those, and then drop a little round humidifyer thingy in there with it.

4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Those humidifier things, what are they called? I've been poking around and I'm not sure if I've found what you're talking about. Thanks!

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Humidale, humistat, I've heard them called a few things. This is what they look like:

http://www.thebriary.com/index.php/accessories/humydale.html

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I like humidifier thing ! I get em here .... http://wvsmokeshop.com/tobaccomointnertins.aspx ....[ 2 pak for .69 ... lol ] I basicly wipe out a tin or pouch within a short time ... but if yer not gonna then drop one in after a couple weeks or so . Somewhere here , theres a thread where puff printed the tin art and put it on the lid of a mason jar .... Fancy it is , but pretty cool too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.