Crazy Question...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KingsTarantula, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Has anyone here ever just smelled the pipe tobacco, loved the small so much, and taken a pinch and put it in their mouth to see what it tastes like? Maybe gave it a couple chews??? Some of this stuff I smell I just want to eat cuz it smells so good. But I haven't tasted it. So, I thought I would ask. Anyone done this? Anyone wanna give it a try? :ngty:

2. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I haven't done it, but the smell of well aged luxury twist always makes me want to eat it. :)

Wicker Man and KingsTarantula like this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I could probably chow down on some Frog Morton Cellar.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nope. There are tons of things I love the smell of but wouldn't consider chewing or eating. Won't list them all here. :D

5. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

I can still remember being knee high and Grandad getting his black pigtail twist out of his round "baccy" tin, I thought it was magic, not knowing you had to press the sides for the lid to flip open on a spring, he'd then spend ages cutting tiny rounds off and filling his pipe then half a dozen matches getting it lit. Typing this I can still remember the smell. He'd occasionally be chewing a small piece and once gave me one to try -- :puke:it would probably be considered child abuse now a days :eek:

6. craig

craig Active Member

I did it with gawith and hoggarth cherry and vanilla lovely smell and smoke but as far as chew....blurghhh that is one of the reasons i wont try propper chewing tobacco

KingsTarantula and Wicker Man like this.
  7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

OK. Mark me as the odd man. I have -- but for a reason. I was taught back in the 70s by another pipe smoker a trick he used when shopping for tobacco. At the shop you would take a little pinch of tobacco from the sample jar and bite it right in the front of the mouth, then touch it with the tip of the tongue. (And then deposit it almost immediately afterwards in a nearby ashtray or napkin.) The idea was that one would be able to tell if that tobacco was going to bite because it was a way to detect heavy casing -- which would cause the bite. Over the years I have used it in tobacco shops with various responses. Some proprietors take it in stride, some do a double take that would be fit for any situation comedy on television.

dBear and KingsTarantula like this.
  8. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I did it. I'm not proud of it, but I did it. I was looking at a Luxury Navy Flake and admiring the beauty of its layers and the urge to taste it overwhelmed me. It did not taste anywhere near as good as if I had just smoked it. Try it, you'll like it.:whis:

KingsTarantula, dBear and Buckshot like this.
  9. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Somebody said Black XXX was also used as chewing tobacco back in the day so I popped a good wad of it in my lip. It was ok.

KingsTarantula and dBear like this.
  10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

So is the thought here that a nice pinch of M-79, between the cheek and gum is the way to go??

KingsTarantula and dBear like this.
  11. craig

craig Active Member

Your right black xx was used a chewing tobacco by miners back in the day so was most other ropes and twists
    Not that id try it like that but hey ho thats me

12. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

IF I were going to try it, I dont think I'd do an aromatic. Not sure if the toppings and whatnot are good for you to ingest in any way. I have put a pinch in my mouth though. The taste had no correlation to the smell. I didn't like it at all.

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

Quality pipe tobacco used to be marketed to enjoy any way you pleased. I haven't done it myself, preferring to pack it in a trusty bowl, but I'm not against the idea or rolling it or chawing good tobacco if the situation demands.

Smoke in good health,
    WK

14. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I used to use dip and chew and still buy a can of dip every couple of months...and I like to chew a bit of rope every now and then. It is not covered in the sweet goop most American chewing tobaccos use and I prefer it to American chew.
    And I use snus when I need to be in super stealth tobacco mode...like at the kids school.

The only tobaccos I won't use are cigarettes and Makla...

Wideawake75 and KingsTarantula like this.
  15. AmeriMick

AmeriMick Member

Black XX isn't bad for chewing, and I don't chew.

16. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

I have a friend who does this. Never got into the whole chew thing myself..................:ohyh:

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I havent done it ... but I'm going to eat some SG Firedanc right now :eek: .. if it tastes like it smokes .. Muhahaha

18. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

Alot of "proper" chews are mixed or cured with stuff to make it more palatable. Red Man has a hint of mint to it, and Levi Garrett has a touch of Molasses IMHO. I've never done this with pipe tobacco, but I do enjoy Levi Garrett and rope twist for the occasional chew.

Monkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.