Crossover Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So I got some McC 2045 today, an ounce of it. Based on the description on the jar, I was expecting a pretty standard mild/medium English/Oriental blend. I was wrong!

It's definitely Englishish - it has the right ingredients. Virginias, Orientals, latakia. What I wasn't expecting was the topping the description didn't mention!

I just smoked a third of a bowl of it in my new Ben Wade to start breaking it in, and to try this blend for the first time, and I loved it. Not too heavy on the latakia at all, nice mild/medium bodied smoke...but it definitely had an unexpected sweet spiciness to it which couldn't be explained (by my palate) as a pure tobacco flavor. If I had to try to describe it, I'd say it tasted like a mild English blend with a light flavouring of spice cake in the background. It was fairly lightly used, but there was definitely something going on there. To me, it smelled and tasted just the way Christmas should smell and taste. This was quite welcome, even in May. It's not a full blown aromatic by any stretch, but neither does it seem to be a "proper" English or Oriental blend.

I really liked it, and it's got me thinking. I'd like to try some other English/Aro crossovers. English Chocolate from Two Friends has been on my must-try list for a little while now. Are there any others you would recommend? Something with enough real tobacco flavour and maybe a pinch or two (or three) of latakia, but something extra for a nice little addition to the taste and the room note?

This tobacco is tasty, cheap, and behaved perfectly for me, even in a brand new pipe. It may easily become a staple for me.

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I don't know if you'd call the Frog Mortons crossovers, but they are fairly mild English mixes. They all have some latakia, but not lots. Some have some Oriental toby, and the Frog Morton on the Bayou has some Perique. They may have some light and subtle casing - it is hard to say. All are fairly mild examples of their kind. Most people like them. You might find them to be something you like.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the original Frog Morton...but while I wouldn't call it a "typical" English, I also wouldn't say there's anything remotely aromatic about it - to the best of my recollection anyway. It's been a while.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Frogmorton on the Town is an English with a light casing that would make a nice crossover blend. The sweet Basma (Oriental) leaf fools people into thinking the blend has a heavier casing than it actually does. Nice, light smooth tasty english blend.

Tinderbox Sherlock's Choice is another nice one, and it was blended specifically as a crossover for smokers of heavily cased blends wanting to try something with a pinch of latakia.

And I haven't yet cracked my tin, but GL Pease's Maltese Falcon is supposed to be an English with a special top note.

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nice, dmkerr! Thank you, I'll have to try some of those.

I want to smoke some more of the 2045 before I really decide, but so far I think this stuff is amazing...I really think this will be something I buy lots of

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

It's an English blend you can smoke in polite company and not offend!:D

7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Boswell's Magnum Blend, No Bite Delite, and Mild English are all superb blends and each has it's own distinct identity. Check them out on TR or on the Boswell website I think you would be impressed.
    God Bless!!! Ray

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Yes, occasionally I do cross-dress, thats how I met YinYang - ooooooopppppppssssssss..............wrong forum, never mind.

9. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Sterling Tobacco has some nice crossover blends; I particularly enjoy My Buddy, a Mild English with just a hint of cased burley bringing the unique Sterling topping to the mix.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Got any pics of Yin you could PM me? I owe him money that I can't afford to pay and I thought that maybe the threat of widespread internet coverage might make him reconsider. Thanks.

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Yes, and I will trade for tobacco!

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm guessing he wouldn't mind the advirtising too much. :eek:

13. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I would say your right. He is not very bashful.:booty:

14. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Sillems Black is a popular crossover, as is Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him. I'm very fond of Dr. Bradley from Iwan Ries, as well as Pembroke from Esoterica (Margate married to Cognac).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.