Crossover English Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by gandalf7531, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Happy Holidays. I've been following the forum for about a month now and wanted to ask a question to see if anyone could give me some advice on crossover English blends. I've been an aromatic smoker for years and recently ventured into Va/per territory when I smoked some Grey Havens from McClelland. After that, aromatics seem way too mellow, although I do like chocolate notes in some of the aromatics I've smoked. Right now I'm looking for a mild/med. English blend with some casing to start out on.

I already smoked Plumcake by Mac Baren and I enjoyed that quiet a bit, but it bit more than I liked. Could anyone direct me towards other English blends with some mild casings? After browsing Tobacco Reviews for a few days I've thought of trying Navy Flake, Chocolate Flake, and/or Perfection (all by Sam. Gawith). I don't know how strong these are right off hand. Dan Tobacco has one called Black Velvet that sounds promising too. Again, no idea how strong the taste would be. C&D has one called Cross-Eyed Cricket :startle: but I can't tell if that's like the others I've listed or not.

What could I expect from some of these blends? Will the casing help temper their strength (mellow them out)? I'm looking for good flavor with a bit of complexity without it being too harsh. Any suggestions or advice to help me make the jump to English would be welcomed.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Shortcut to Mushrooms.

You're welcome!

And welcome aboard!

3. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

Ashton's Consummate Gentleman

Welcome to the forum!

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Yep, sounds like Shortcut to Mushrooms would be exactly what you seek. Pm me your address and I'll mail you a sample if you want to try it.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

IRC Dr. Bradley is fantastic !

6. Brian

Brian Member

Frog Morton on the Town.

It's almost aromatic, but I think that's the blending technique and the vanilla-velvet Basma leaf in it.

I tried a tin of SG Perfection. It has an actual vanilla flavor added, *BUT* it is very very subtle. It's just a hint of it in the background. The vanilla flavor smoothes out the Latakia taste in a certain mellow direction. That's the best I can describe it. I like more tangy English personally. Perfection is the opposite of that. Don't get me wrong, it's top notch tobacco. The dominant flavor by far is silky smokey Latakia though. I would not call it aromatic or a "crossover" blend. It doesn't smell like vanilla when you smoke it.

7. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Shortcut to Mushrooms seem to be a favorite. I'll order some. Oh, and thanks Glenn for the offer to send me a sample, but I never could make the email or PM or whatever it is work to send you my address.

All the recommendation seem like good options.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I didn't think about that. You have to have 10 or 20 posts before you can use pm's.

If you are going to order some get the sampler of that whole series. You can find it on the Just for Him website.

9. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Ruins of Isengard was another one of Just for Him blends that seemed appealing. If I read the descriptions of the baccy right, I think it's a true English.

As anyone can tell from my avatar, I'm a LOTR fan. Read the books nine times so far. :geek: NERD!!

10. Jay

Jay Active Member

If you have a Tinderbox nearby, try the "philosopher" It seems to be a lightly cased English blend that is actually kind of tasty, along the From morton series. I had to dry mine out for awhile before smoking.

J

11. gandalf7531

gandalf7531 Member

Wanted to update this thread I started and let everyone know my results so far. Glenn was nice enough to send me a sample of Shortcut to Mushrooms and I have to say, it's just wonderful. I can't stop smoking the stuff! I love the spiciness of the Latakia mixing with the Burley and Vanilla in the tobacco. It's so smooth, but has a depth of flavor that I love, yet isn't too harsh. STM is just wonderful. I actually called Just for Him and complimented them on this blend. Amazing.

Thanks to everyone who gave some suggestions: especially Glenn for the sample. I'm going to keep trying the rest of the recommendations and see what I find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.