1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Cusombilt #12

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by simonsmith, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

Hi guys,
    I'm new here, and had asked about some tobaccos in another section of the forum.
    Today I happened to be at an auction, I am a regular at our local auctions every week, and today, I happened to find this pipe.. It's a Custombilt imported briar pipe. It has the number 12 by the stem. Not sure what that means, if you all could help me understand that, it would be appreciated.
    So I knew it needed a stem, but I bought it anyway, for 1$USD.. And it even came with a nice brown glass ash tray.
    So can you all tell me, did I get a good deal on a good pipe? Or is it going to be more for a stem, than I should invest?.. And where should I look for a stem for this pipe? I like it, and would like to smoke it :)

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I don't know the name - but surely the name/spelling "Custombilt" is American? Could it be an "own brand" made for a firm of tobacconists? In Britain anyway this was once a very common practice. Others may know more than me on this one.

Main tests are - Do you like it? and - How does it smoke? If it does well on these two then you've scored no matter what!

Best meantime

Gerry

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That pipe resembles a vintage Dr Grabow in my collection. I'd say for $1 you can't go wrong, especially since they threw in a bonus ashtray. The proof's in the smoking and if a pipe's a good smoker then it's money well spent.

Bri2k

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

While I know bubkis about them, here is a link. Judging from the prices in the Geo. Yale catalog, these woren't bottom barrel pipes.

http://pipepages.com/custombilt.htm

Getting a stem won't be much of a chore if you are willing to send it out. If you like the pipe, get a stem.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi Again

They certainly weren't El Cheapos then - some in 1945 were priced at £10.00 U.S.; that was £2.50 in Britain at the time though we would have said £2.10.0d or 50/- then. When I bought my first Falcon in 1968 it cost me £1.50 or 30/- in old money - a Falcon now costs around £30.00 in the UK so you can take it from there.

Definitely get a stem! At the price you paid you really really have scored!

Happy smoking

Gerry

6. Legend

Legend Member

Custombilts are AWESOME smokers...you got a steal and it will be worth the price of re-stemming it! I had to pay $15 for mine, and I considered that a steal! Most fetch around $25-$30. Google Tracy Mincer for more history on them.

7. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

All ya had to do was ask.
    I'm not going to be a member if I'm to be micro managed..
    That's ridiculous.

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

not to be rude but larger photos use substantially more bandwidth and cost the people who own/run the site out of their own pocket (woody) more money, so its not really ridiculous.

9. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

The pics were hosted on photobucket.
    You're not being rude. You decided to have "dialogue" with a member. The mod, did not.
    That's rude in my book. You all have been very kind.

10. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Custom Bilts are American Classics and very good pipes. They are much sought after. I would send it to Dr Dave at Walker Briar Works to have it restemmed. He is the best in the business. Very well worth it.

11. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

email me at strongirish@gmail.com and I would be glad to give you pointers as to pictures and your pipe if you like.

12. simonsmith

simonsmith Member

I've sent Walker an email, and am sending it to him I think.
    I was at our local shops today looking for one, and all they have is Dr. Grabows, and cobs. The high end stores, or specialty shops, are all but gone here.

13. Legend

Legend Member

Ebay is your best bet for Custombilts. You will not be dissapointed by sending your pipe to Walker's.

14. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

I love Custombilts.  Great smokers - absolutely.  Older ones are stamped as Custom-Bilts and can fetch a fair penny on eBay.

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.