Custom blend help

Discussion in 'Blending' started by afiaowo, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

My favorite blend is Old Ironsides. I know I won't be able to copy it but I would like to get some components based on OI contents. It's listed on TR as containing Oriental/Turkish, Kentucky, Virginia, Latakia.

The only Kentucky I know of that will give the needed body of OI is G&H Kendall Kentucky. I was going to get some C&D Izmir Turkish, Bulk Latakia and some Virginia.

Which Virginia do you think I should start with?

What percentages do you think I should start with?

Thanks.

2. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

One problem is, Oriental/Turkish is a pretty broad category: drama, sokhoum, yenidje, katerini, izmir... You will get a different taste depending on what they use.
    The Kentucky is probably dark fired burley. If the G&H Kendall Kentucky smells similar to what you smell in Old Ironsides, you're pretty close to what they use.
    Virginia? How about McClelland's 5100?
    If you want to get scientific about the percentages, take a known weight of the Old Ironsides & try to separate out the different components & weigh each. I'm not familiar with OI. If it is pressed or stoved, it would be difficult to separate. If it is a straight forward blend, it might be easier.
    Let us know what happens.

olddog and afiaowo like this.
  3. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

I was thinking about this last night. You might try one of the McClelland Oriental mixes as your base and add to that. Mixture Number 1 has latakia, Oriental, Turkish and Virginia. You may just need to throw in some Kentucky.

Lucky Duck and afiaowo like this.
  4. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Thanks, Malcontent. I've been pondering this quite a bit as well.

I think what I need to do learn the individual components before I do anything else. Over the past year I've learned which components I like. So I'm ordering Dark Fired Kentucky, Red and Stoved Virginia, Latakia, and Perique. P&C only have two individual orientials so I'm getting their Izmir and Smyrna.

I'll smoke each one individually and then begin to mix and match. After that I'll need to work out percentages.

Basically, it's time to learn how to cook.

5. Malcontent

Malcontent Active Member

There was another thread recently, can't remember where, that discussed Izmir (from C&D) versus Smyrna (from McClelland). Some people said that Smyrna and Izmir are the same thing (& provided proof) and that Izmir is just the oriental while Smyrna is a VaOr mix. I had both in my cellar. Similar to what you are doing, I got the Izmir to learn what it tasted like by itself (very 'thin' smoke, smells and tastes like lawn grass). When I opened the Smyrna, I got the typical McC ketchup smell. It tasted like a VaOr blend when smoked. I had jarred it when I got it and had forgotten about it.

Overall, I think that smoking each one individually is the way to go. Please let us know what you discover.

afiaowo and Lucky Duck like this.
  6. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

7. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

8. olddog

olddog Member

I like Malcontent's choice of Virginias, if for no other reason than if it doesn't turn out to your liking you won't be able to blame the end result on the quality of the Virginia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.