Dang! It happened again.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by halpuff, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halpuff

halpuff Member

I'm wondering how many of you have had this happen.............
    I received a manilla bubble envelope today that contained a tin of tobacco and it appeared the postal service must have been using it as a Frizbee or something.
    The outer package surface had a small tear and dirty smudge and when I opened the package I find the tin with a gigantic gash in the side of it. And of course it was enough for the tin to loose its seal. At least when I popped the lid I couldn't sense that it still had its seal.
    I had been packaging my trade tobacco in small boxes to avoid things like this but I began thinking I was maybe spending too much money in postage since everyone else seemed to be sending me my end of trades in manillia bubble envelopes. As a result, I began using these envelopes myself. I hope folks on the receiving end of my trades aren't receiving bashed up tins.

Halpuff:mad:

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Thankfully it's only happened to me once (having the seal popped on arrival). I've gone through that tin quickly, too, so it's not the end of the world. Does rather suck, though.

That said, if you don't mind stocking up, I found that Staples has a few bundle options. 5x4x4 is about $9 with tax ($0.36/box) and is a good size for some pipes or baccy. 4x4x4 is a little cheaper, 5x5x4 a little more.

3. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Also Walmart had some 6"x6"x6" for I think 74 cents each. Little over kill in size for a tin or two but at least you have plenty of room for packing to protect the tin.

Gunslinger,

4. halpuff

halpuff Member

Thanks for the tip guys. I think I'm going to look for the boxes you mention and go back to using boxes.

5. Tony Malerich

I just picked my stack up today -- the 5x4x4 just perfectly fits a round 50 g metal tin so there's not much wiggle room, but it does fit (and would be better protected). A square tin or the taller cardboard ones would fit beautifully. The 100g metal tins would probably be a bit too large, though. The 5x5x4 was around $12 for the stack which is still only $0.50/box if you anticipate using them over time.

6. halpuff

halpuff Member

Thanks again for the info Tony!
    By the way.....the Newminster Ultimate English.......FANTASTIC, I LOVE THIS STUFF!
    Guys that refuse to even give Newminster a try just don't know what they are missing out on.
    I find Ultimate English to be consideragly stronger than Balkan Sasieni which is listed as one of Smoking Pipes .Com's top ten best sellers.
    In fact.....if you have never tried Balkan Sasieni, I have a 50g tin that I just opened that that has one bowl missing from it that I would trade for more of your Ultimate English if you have any left.
    Halpuff

7. Tony Malerich

Send me a note and I'll check my stock! I think I'm running low now, but I'll confirm. Turning in for the night, though, so I'll follow up tomorrow :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.