1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Debating Davidoff, Do?? Dont ??

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SeminarianMike, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeminarianMike

SeminarianMike Member

Hey all, As i stated in my intro i am new here, but not totally new to the pipe world. I would still consider myself un seasoned though. I really have been considering hard on a davidoff billiard or Dublin. I really like filter pipes. It seems like a very quality pipe that takes a filter. Is this so? Feed back would be superb. God Bless You All Michael !! :)

2. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi Michael. Firstly, welcome to the forum. I do not own a Davidoff pipe, and am unlikely to ever own one. As far as I can tell from the way they are finished, they are made at the same factory that produces most of the French made pipes, including (I believe I am correct in saying) Butz Choquin, Rattray's, Chacom and Wessex. You will be paying a lot for the name. A lot. All of those other brands have pipes that look just as nice to my eye as the Davidoff pipes but at a fraction of the price.

Having said that, sometimes we all have a particular itch that needs to be scratched, so if you have your heart set on the Davidoff then go for it. I had a must-scratch itch with guitars a while back. I really wanted a Gibson Les Paul but didn't want to fork out the money. In the interim I bought a couple of cheaper guitars (three actually) before eventually biting the bullet and getting a low end Gibson. Having got the Gibson I realised that it was no better than the other guitars (and definitely worse than many others with a less fancy brand name that were for sale at the time), but I had scratched my itch. I could have saved a fair bit of money by just going for the Gibson straight away.

Not sure if you know much about the guitar world but it's fairly similar to pipes in that stumping up a huge amount of cash won't necessarily get you a better piece of kit.

3. SeminarianMike

SeminarianMike Member

I hear what you are saying very loud and clear. They dont seem to be very popular id still like to hear from someone who has one and can attest to there filter system. I might be wrong but dont they have some funky filter in them ? Got to be someone on here with a davidoff pipe. I also am debating a ferndown

4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I do not own a Davidoff pipe and have never smoked one. I have however handled and looked at them. In my mind I TOTALLY agree buistd said. My personal opinion--keep in mind its only my opinion that you can do better and or equal to for less money. Good luck.

5. SeminarianMike

SeminarianMike Member

anyone have suggestions of very high quality filter pipes ?

6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I have a Vauen pipe. Its a white dot as I call them. The white dot on the stem. They seem to be a higher quality pipe. Now I have smoked it with and without the filter. Over all I rank it as a darn good pipe. Also Savinellis higher grades are great pipes There are others and perhaps someone will chime in with some other opinions to aid in your decision. In all honesty my personal opinion of Davidoff is that their prices are pretty steep for what they are. I feel they are no better than other pipes of similar makers. I really do NOT want to bash or throw stones at a brand name but have had folks tell me that the extra $$$ as far as the pricing is for nothing more than the name sake. NOW----AGAIN--keep in mind I have NEVER smoked or owned one so I am going off of comments made by those whom I have talked to at my local B&M. They feel they are over rated. These comments came from guys actually smoking and owning them. The guy I spoke to had purchased a straight billiard shaped straight pipe--shiney black finish and it looked decent but he stated that it was no better than pipes he owned costing far less and he figured the extra cost was just because it was a "Davidoff". He went as far to say --and I quote--"They should have just stuck to making cologne". I took this comment with a grain of salt because I have NO and I repeat NO experience with them. If the Davidoff pipe you are looking at is something you really like and its within your financial reach--by all means do NOT allow me to sway your decision. Whats important is that in the end YOU and ONLY you are satisfied with your purchase. Just because others may not like certain pipe brands, shapes, finishes etc. does not mean others cannot enjoy them if thats what they like. In the end the pipe has to please only one person and that person is you. I am only commenting on statements made by others I have talked to. It was there opinion NOT mine due to my lack of ANY experience as far as ownership of the brand. I wish you the VERY best of luck in your decision. No matter what your choice ends up being---enjoy the wonderful experiences a great pipe and tobacco can provide.:bing::bing:

inkybat and umfunix like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

let me first congratulate you for being in the Seminary , if in fact you are and it's not just a name and avatar ya picked . These days , the number of men headed in that direction arent so numerous and I thank God for you . Welcome .

Savinelli pipes , many of them , have a filter " system " . They have a balsa wood insert that goes in the tenon or , if you dont want to use it , theres an adapter to put in the tenon or you dont even have to use the adapter . They are very versatile in that regard along with being exceptional smoking pipes . Heck , MM Corn Cobs have filters and I enjoy a Cob very much . I like the filters in them because , to me , they have to much of a draw without and the filter also keeps the shank clean and prevents moisture from traveling down to the stem . They do their intended job

inkybat and umfunix like this.
  8. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Davidoff doesn't specialize in filter pipes,in fact a filtered pipes aren't as popular in the US as in other countries.Many smokers like cleaning without taking off stem,which is usually needed with a filtered pipe.
    Your paying at least an extra 50% just for the name Davidoff.Also,Davidoff's are not sought after by collectors.
    I've smoked a Davidoff and my Stanwell smoked just as well if not better and it was less than 1/4 of the cost.
    You could have a Castello or Rinaldo for what you pay for a Davidoff.

umfunix and buistd like this.
  9. roberted5

roberted5 Member

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Once the name Davidoff appears on anything, the price goes up.

I own a Davidoff cigar lighter. It's finicky and often refuses to light. But it has a nice metal casing and a pleasant "ding" when you flip the top. Very hefty.

Davidoff did make a nice cigarette - the Magnum. Full of Virginia tobacco and not so much burley. Everything Davidoff makes is "nice" but not worth the tortillas IMHO.

11. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

x2. I like my Savinelli's. They have many offerings below $100 and many more well above that mark. They make good pipes...not just "good pipes for the money."

I've yet to try smoking one with the balsa filter in though.:confused: I might have to give that a try.

umfunix likes this.
  12. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

I recently bought to estate 10mm filter pipes. I am very pleased with the smoke! as well as the pipes. Stanwell / Savinelli is lately my favorite brands. I think I paid between $40 - $50.

13. inkybat

inkybat Member

14. SeminarianMike

SeminarianMike Member

It seems I should stay away from davidoff line pipes I think I'm ganna suck it up buy a dunhill and another savinelli :)

Puffstone likes this.
  15. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I was given a Davidoff Canadian as a gift. Had no idea what it was worth until I looked at the link to CupOJoes just now. All I can say is that my BST Canadian is a much better smoke at a hundred and some dollars less.

inkybat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.