1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Deciding On Dedicating

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by akohtz, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akohtz

akohtz Member

Hi there everybody. I have some questions on dedicating your pipes for certain tobaccos.

#1) Is it different between briars and cobs? Can a cob really go from smoking a latakia heavy blend to an aromatic without problems?

#2) With a briar, I've been told to at least dedicate between english latakia blends and the aromatics. Correct?

#3) Within your choices of aromatics do you feel you can smoke any aromatic or you should still dedicate on aromatic sometimes? Like an aromatic with cherry or vanilla for instance would overpower your other aromatics?

I'm just trying to get a handle on what people think. I don't want to have one pipe for every blend on earth, but I would like to know better where to divide between the types of tobacco (I hope that makes sense).

Thanks guys.

- Andrew

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

1. With my Cobs and Meers I just put whatever I want to smoke in there when I want to

2. When you only have a few briars I would probably designate to a) Va/VaPer, B) English, c) Aromatic, d) Burley (burleys can usually go in a Va pipe though).

3. I'm not big on Aros and I may smoke 1 bowl of an aro a week. I have 1 falcon bowl and 1 briar dedicated to them. I'm anal about cleaning them though, but thats true of all my pipes.

Rugs / Andrew

3. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

I don't dedicate other than I have one pipe for aromatics (which I rarely use). I'm not sure if it is that my palate is still not mature enough but I never taste any ghosting between virginia, burley and english. I have noticed ghosting from aromatic to aromatic though.

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I haven't dedicated any of mine. But then again I don't smoke a whole lot of different weed. The only problem I've found is after using a briar to smoke say FMOTT for a while I get a ghosted taste of soap.

Don't really know what it is but it always happens to the pipes I've smoked english in for a while.

I do keep 1 squeeky clean MM pride cob around for a test pipe though.

6. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I have found that I sort of subconsciously dedicated my pipes to certain styles. I keep the english styles to certain pipes, and the aromatics to other pipes. I think if I smoked fruity aromatics, that I'd probably keep those separate too. You can get Cobs so cheap that it's easy to dedicate them to specific blends. I think I did this impart due to resting and rotating pipes also. I didn't really think about it to much, just noticed myself doing it.

Sorry I'm not experienced enough to actually know if I need to or not :roflmao:

7. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

I have one pipe that I use only to smoke McC 5100. I'm afraid of tainting the pipe with anything else but it's my favorite. I'd really like to smoke it more often but I'm not always in the mood for 5100 (also my favorite).
    The others get whatever tobacco I'm in the mood for when I pick them up.

8. akohtz

akohtz Member

Hm. To some degree personal palate will play a part.

TS, thanks for sharing the link to that blog post. It sounds like the bowl+tobacco combination can play a roll too.

Rugby, thanks for the info too. I guess I didn't think about dividing between burley and virginia as well.

I would like to branch out to some different tobacco's, but I'm just so confused with the hundreds of different choices out there. Overwhelmed might even be a more apt description. The majority of the time I don't even know what's in a particular tobacco. Maybe I'll just walk back into the tobacconist and ask them to make another recommendation.

Like the author of the blog post said, I'm just trying to avoid putting onions in with my peaches. In the end I may have to just experiment some.

- Andrew

9. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I have this problem where three of my four pipes are dedicated to VA right now, and I just got a bunch of different blends in. I am afraid to taint one of my VA pipes, and my latakia pipe is a terrible basket pipe that has a tiny conical chamber, I know a different pipe will be better. I have decided that my cob will become VA/Per tomorrow, that will leave me two briars for VAs which are my favorite. I want to get a couple of dublins or zulus soon, but pipe funding is low.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

It has to do a lot with experimentation, IMO.
    I'll agree that you can group toby together
    for certain pipes, as Rugs suggested. I also
    found that certain pipes work better with
    certain blends. This came from trying many
    weeds in several pipes. I always break in a
    pipe with one particular weed, then I start
    working on which blend works best in that
    specific pipe. Took me a while, but it was a
    fun journey. In the end, as it has been said
    before, it is all up to the individual smoker.
    So, experiment, have fun, and never have
    a bad bowl.

dp

11. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's what I've done with my briar pipes:

Some are dedicated to PA and/or mild aros.

Some are only for VAs (5100 & OGS) but I can get away with smoking PA in them too.

One pipe is only for Carey's St Bruno which I heard can leave a mighty ghost.

The rest are for Latakia blends. I have one pipe set aside for Presbyterian as it has subtleties which to me are lost when I smoke it from an "everyday" Latakia pipe. (Thanks for the tip, Dondi!)

This rotation may change as I finish up some tins and open new blends, but since I mostly smoke Burleys and VAs, I've got some flexibility with many of my pipes.

Of course, my real ace-in-the-hole is the 5 Bros. in the tobacco stash which is rumored to be quite the ghost-buster.

12. akohtz

akohtz Member

I just got home and stopped by the shop on the way. When I walked in I was pleased to see the same gentleman who had helped me with the last two tobacco recommendations. I basically said I was ready to experiment with an english blend. He immediately pulled one of the bulk jars down and said this one was a good start so it didn't blow my taste buds off. LOL

Without even questioning his recommendation I said 'yes.' He showed me the corn cob pipes, I picked a cob, he offered me a 1 oz bag, and I left a whole whopping $10 poorer.

So the experimentation begins.

- Andrew

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

14. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

1) I believe cobs, meers and clays can go from English to Aromatic with no problem.

2) I have certain briars dedicated to English blends and some to Aro's

3) With aro's, I used the same pipes that are dedicated for them

Ads you acquire a better sense of tobacco and get more pipes..you will probably have pipes dedicated to Va/Pers, Va's, Burley blends and English blends. Remember it is all about personal taste and preference.

Phil.

15. akohtz

akohtz Member

Thanks Phil. It's cool to know that cobs are so cheap AND versatile.

- Andrew

16. akohtz

akohtz Member

Yeah. ... This experiment hasn't gone so well. The flavor just hasn't worked for me.

I don't think that I'll be buying any expensive briar pipes and dedicating them to an english blend anytime soon.

- Andrew

17. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I was going to suggest that you try smoking an English blend on a cold, crisp day .......but you live in Phoenix.

For me, the English blends really shine the nastier the weather is.... :dunno:

18. akohtz

akohtz Member

LOL. What? Our overnight low of 62 (F) isn't nasty enough? I mean ... last night my toes *were* getting a little chilly in my flip flops.

- Andrew

19. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I can tell you from personal experience that when you are used to 120 degrees, 70 is cold and nasty. What is cold is all relative to where you are or have recently been.

20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont dedicate pipes except for one geared toward cherry .. but I dont think latakia and something fuity would mix well .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.