1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Dedicated pipes and ghosts ... a not so serious morning thought

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Here's the deal w/ dedicating a blend to a pipe . The idea is that if you smoke only one blend in a pipe , that it will build up cake of that blend , which will make that blend better because the cake is ' infused ' w/ said blend . Apparently , having a carbon build up around the chamber allows a blend to smoke cooler . The general rule of cake thickness is a dime to nickel . So in a nutshell . You smoke a blend that builds a cake w/ the flavor of that blend while allowing the pipe to smoke it's coolest . Cool .. right ?! I'll throw out what I've found and you do w/ it as you will . A blend like say .. Condor and the like . These blends taste like soap , which is fine to some or many . These guys will tell you by the third bowl that you dont really taste the soap as you did the first time . I say , the guy that works at the dump dosent smell the dump as he did on his first day ... heck , he probably dosent smell it any more . My point to this is that Condor is a type of blend that will leave it's " flavor " in a pipe [ ghost ] pretty much after the first bowl . So then you put some Middletons Cherry Blend [ a great Iconic smoke ] in the same pipe . You light it up .. yak . It's a mild cherry with a boatload of soap . After you clean up from losing your lunch you realize ... I like soap by itself but not w/ mild cherry . So , blends that are very ghost prone ... probably a good idea to Dedicate a pipe or two to them . That's about the only time I'd dedicate a pipe .... an over the top type ghosting blend .

The deal w/ dedicating a Type of Blend . Burley [ a mans smoke ] , Va , vaper , vabur , Vaburorilat , Latakia/oriental [ English styles ] , Latoriburva , which is the same as Vaburorilat but the tobacco types are represented in a reverse order w/ regards to their quanity in a blend . Wow , I see the future :shead: .. in time , in order that one generation can out do the other , males will have blended cake in their pipes ... and be able to have discussions discerning them with regard to the blend that is currently being smoked in the pipe . Anyway , it's not a bad idea to keep Aromatics to aromatic pipes and Va to va pipes etc ... . Burley , on the other hand dosent really matter much if you toss in something else once in a while . A burley caked pipe tastes like ... omg .. smoke . Being all blends make smoke , except the ones you cant get lit cause the people that make them want you to suffer through some ritual of getting their product to a point reasonable to smoke , just proves they all want to be burley . So , a burley caked pipe is kinda neutral . Ya pop something else in there and you'll taste the blend you're smoking . So , some people , like the ones that come up w/ Vaburorilat and the reverse , smoke mainly burley w/ very little cake ... this way , you can smoke anything in any pipe and it's all good .

Good morning , all

SWR/Kaywoodie/coffee

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Whaddya got in that coffee and how much did you put in? :xd:

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I dedicate most of my pipes to Burley blends ;) and here lately it's been Sir Walter Raleigh only in my new rotation of DG Royalton Pots and they are coming along nicely, each bowl of SWR tastes better and better! :th1: I have a few pipes put aside for McClelland Virginias, aromatics and my cobs are used for CH, CB and PA. :D

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Ruff, reglazing window panes today? :)

psquared, RTOdhner, Gary and 4 others like this.
  5. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I'll break a pipe in with something neutral like a virginia flake or burley shag. Then the pipe will be dedicated Aromatic or English. I also have pipes that i'll put either style in to switch up the flavour.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Thanks for that. So far, I've only explored a few of the tobaccos on my list and aside from some of the ones with perique I don't find the mild ghosting has too much of an effect. Looking at purchasing some cobs to use when I get brave and revisit M79 and some others.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  7. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Lol.

8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi John,
    I must be just as crazy. I understood that tirade and actually agree with it! Good advice.

Paul

RTOdhner and ruffinogold like this.
  9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

It's funny to me that you mention ghosts today, because I met one this morning. A little MM Egg that I set aside for Luxury Twist Flake looked forlorn and unloved. You see, I haven't desired to employ it's services for many weeks. So, I thought I would bring it back into the fold. Stuffing it full of Red Rapparee I applied flame and angered the spirit.

Your post (rant?) brings to light the fact that we need to employ judgement when smoking haunted pipes. While this ghost would probably have played well with Best Brown Flake, it only antagonized Red Rapparee. And anything that ruins quality time with RRR is promptly scheduled for destruction. I have no choice but to exorcise this ghost for its sins.

Forum Running

psquared and ruffinogold like this.
  10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I think I'm going to have to deidcate my clay now to Lakeland blends since Ennerdale apparently left quite the impression on it. I thought Clays weren't supposed to ghost...

11. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

it did the same thing to my clay. I'm still trying to get rid of the ghost, and it's been a lot of bowls. I'll have to try burying it in some live coals.

Stonewall likes this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well I think I'll just keep that one for Lakelands blends. I've got two more clays on the way. Thank goodness it wasn't an expensive briar since I don't smoke a lot of SG tobaccos.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I like the post a lot and thank you for helping me justify my PAD.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've been a big fan of dedicating a pipe to a single blend, if the blend has a unique flavor that you really enjoy. I have a couple of pipes dedicated to Virginias, and don't smoke VaPer's in them. I've also got a couple of VaPer pipes, a Burley only cob, and now a Burley briar. I round the collection out with a Lat blend pipe and an Oriental/Lat blend pipe.

Shortcut to Mushrooms has a unique flavor, even though it has Lat in it, so I have a Sas pipe dedicated to STM only. I've also got a cob for Firedance Flake to enhance the berry love.

SouthBound likes this.
  15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I knew I was forgetting something: I also have an Apelt German made pipe dedicated to... of course, a German tobacco; Peter Heinrich's Special Curly. AND, a Peterson XL14 dedicated to Irish Oak. They both have unique enough flavors that I love, to have their own pipes.

16. Gary

Gary Member

Might want to try something GL Pease has suggested for ridding pipes of ghosts. Be wary of his warnings on adornments, such as rings, etc. Might try this myself just out of curiosity.

http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html

Personally, aromatics and flavorings aside, I have no fear of ghosts caused by tobaccos. Perhaps I don't know enough about tobacco to worry that a VA might hide the nuances of a Burley, for example. Most of my pipes are merely tools for incinerating tobacco, but I do take extra caution with anything considered an aro, such as Ennerdale or Erinmore.

While I once smoked a couple cherry blends, I quickly found I didn't like them when compared to English and other otherwise unflavored blends. My first two pipes saw a bit of a cheap cherry cavendish and one some Town Topic, but, I no longer smoke anything considered a heavy aromatic...except perhaps in a cob, but even then I'd be very hesitate to even try one.

Latakia and Perique are the two tobaccos most likely to ghost a pipe, but considering most of the tobaccos I like contain one or both of these, and that I have over two dozen tobacco blends to choose from at any given time, I think I would find it both difficult and way too much effort to dedicate pipes to a blend or style. It would be far simpler to dedicate a pipe to an aro blend then an English. Frankly I would need at least twice the number of pipes I have today (19 briars + 6 cobs + 1 meer) before considering doing something like that, but since recipes for various blends vary widely, it really seems a bit pointless to dedicate a pipe to, for example, English blends.

My two newest pipes are Latakia free, but I have smoked VA/Pers, and in fact they may become VA/Per pipes. The only pipes I have that are considered "dedicated". And neither has had more than 3 bowls smoked from them yet, so who knows how long that will last?

Edit: Just noticed the post I quoted mentioned a clay, while Pease's article is regarding briars. Oh well.

17. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I've never had a problem with ghosts that didn't go away with one pipe since I don't tend to stick to one blend in a pipe more than a bowl or two. However, that Lakeland Essence contaminated the clay with one bowl, and I hate smoking perfume. I don't know why people call it soap. If I want to smell and taste flowers, I could do that in the garden, not in my pipe dang it. So, that's why the ghost just ticks me off in that one. :)

18. Gary

Gary Member

I've gone thru several pouches of Condor now, and really have yet to notice a ghost. Maybe all the pipes I've smoked it from are now tainted, or perhaps my tongue so fried I don't notice?

I do know that I opened a new pouch of Condor at the pipe show to share with fellow pipers...and warned them of it's reputation first, but both smokers expressed no fear of ghosting and really enjoyed the smoke. A couple days ago I filled a not-so-coveted briar with Condor and I neither noticed an essence nor was I particularly moved by that bowl. Won't hesitate to smoke it again, but will use a different pipe.

Erinmore and Ennerdale are more likely to leave behind traces of an essence than Condor, IMO. You briar may vary.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

19. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I have smoked several tobaccos from my clay, but none of them ever left a trace of previous use or ghosting. With the exception of Ennerdale. Which I didn't think would have that effect on a clay pipe. Something for clay owners and smokers of Lakeland blends to be leery of I suppose.

20. Gary

Gary Member

Ennerdale has a helluva strong essence IMO. Made the "mistake" of putting that into a brand new Peterson. First thought was "Yikes! Wasn't quite expecting THAT flavor". Reminded me a bit of pine. I do like Ennerdale, but don't smoke it all that often. Went through a couple tins, but haven't opened one in months. Not traces of it in the Peterson nor any other pipe. But, again, my pipes may be considered toby, uh, tramps, compared to some.

psquared likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.