Deep Hollow

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Hi All,

I've just almost finished my first tin of Deep Hollow from McLelland and have been very pleased with what i consider my first "taste" aromatic. I bought this stuff off a good recommendation on this forum and so I'm turning to you all once again.

Are there any other light, nice smelling and tasty tobaccos? It doesn't even have to be a cased aro per say, but maybe with the sweet characteristic and a light "all day" smokeability. One thing I just can't handle are those aros with absolutely no taste. I recently bought some 4noggins 3 blind moose and was dissapointed in that fashion. When i started pipe smoking i recall throwing out all this black cavendish i'd bought for the same reason.

Let me know what you guys have. The key here is that the smoke is nice smelling for indoor smoking but with a noticeable flavor profile on the palette.

Thanks in advance all.

2. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

I think McClelland's Virginia Woods is similar to Deep Hollow but in my opinion a bit better. Then there's McClelland bulk #2000 it's a lovely cased matured Virginia cake that is a wonderful tobacco at a great price. Also Mac Baren Club Blend would fit the bill, another great smoke.

Sasquatch likes this.
  3. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

You may enjoy "Grandpa's Own" by Steve Books or MacBaren 7 Seas Royal. If those don't work, I recommend Peretti's Coffee blend or Milan's Wall Street.

4. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Great stuff guys, I'll check these all out :D

5. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

One of my favorites is PS Highland Whiskey... if you can find it anymore.

6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Stoved Virginia's like Deep Hollow is made of are really good, the only other close I can recommend is, as Wicklow already said, Virginia Woods. :puffy:

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Deep Hollow is one of three in the McClelland Craftbury series, the other two are Grey Havens and Virginia Woods, you might try them also.

8. Artistik

Artistik Member

Most of Boswell's blends are light aromatics with plenty of taste. Pipers Pleasure I strongly recommend. I just tried my first taste of Bears Blend today and it is pretty nice. Seems to have a touch of Latakia but a very nice room note. There is some cherry going on in the Boswell blend.

9. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

4Noggins -Bald Headed Teacher.

10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Are the frogs considered part of the crafts line?
    You can also try frog on the town it has a very nice nutty sweet taste

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The Frog's are their own line and there are 4 of them in the series.

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

McClelland 2000 (Fragrant Matured Cake) is one of my faves. I'd also recommend PS LTF as a light aromatic worth trying.

MacNutz likes this.
  13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Virginia Woods was first on my tongue too, and hey, Club Blend is never wrong.

These are exactly the types of tobaccos I enjoy the most - light virginia blends, maybe a little topping, maybe a little perique. Dark Twist from Mac Baren is up there, I like McConnel's Scottish Cake a hell of a lot too, McCranie's Red Ribbon is wonderful. Back to McClelland, their Navy Cavendish is in this area too.

14. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Good stuff everyone. Now i recall it was ol Brokedik's original recommend on the Deep Hollow. Good call! :thu2:

This thread is going to bring my TAD to a whole new level

Preacher1611 likes this.
  15. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I have tried the frogs. At the time I recognized them as really enjoyable but not hitting the profile i was looking for so i've got them jarred and sealed for some time down the road :)

They were like Boswell Northwoods but more dependable. Maybe less sweet though

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I second the nomination of PS LNF. It seems to fill your requirements. The casing doesn't intrude upon the Virginia's natural tobacco flavour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.