Deer Tongue

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Gradog, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

I'm very curios about Deer Tongue. Where can I get some to try as a additive.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

That could be a difficult one - Rich at 4 Noggins had to rake around to find a supplier earlier this year and I think rejected a batch from one source - best thing might be to email Rich and see if he can help; but you never know someone on this Forum might even grow it,

Good luck

Gerry

3. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ok i know im gonna sound like a totall noob or what not here, but deer tounge???

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

So it's not this?

[​IMG]

:)

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

No it's and Plant leaf....

But you may also find this interesting. This is Tobacco Scripture, read and believe.

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Ok thats alot better than i first thought haha. I watched a Steven Segal movie the other day and his partner was useing powdered deer penis for alergies, it was pretty funny. I was hopeing it wasent along those lines :)

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

The main supplier of deers tongue went out of business so blenders are scrambling and hoarding the stuff, a shame, i like the stuff in a blend now and then.

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've actually got a hookup on it and was thinking about ordering some if other people want to go in on it.

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

As I said I'm quite a fan of Deer Tongue in a blend. It's taste is usually described as Vanilla, but it really does change depending on the tobacco it's mixed with and the quality of the Deer Tongue itself. If you can pick up some with a stong taste, I'd say it's well worth experimenting with doing a bit of home blending.

I'm told from a reliable source that Deer Tongue was also used in Sobranie Balkan, which would have contributed to its wonderful taste,

Best to all

Gerry

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Dub, if you need someone to go in with you, I'm in. Let me know what you need from me or if there is anything I can do. I wouldn't mind sprinkling a touch of d-tongue on some of my 'baccy..........may get some strange looks from folks nearby. "What is he sprinkling in his bowl now?????"

:thumb:
    Ed Puff!

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

well, i just ordered an ounce from a place with reasonable prices (and more importantly, reasonable shipping) and if its any good i might be inclined to order more. i'll let you know if thats the case so you can get in on the order.

13. Puff The Magic

4noggins doesn't have any? I almost ordered some the other day but decided my order was "heavy" enough. Lemme chek..........

:innocent:
    Ed Puff
    cogito ergo puff!

14. Puff The Magic

4noggins has it.

Is the deer tongue a pure ground leaf? or maybe pure active isolates (essence, crystals, "kif") of deer tongue?

The description says "powder" but the picture shows a ribbon cut toby.

Maybe I ought to try to grow it! :innocent:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

P.S. I'll see if I can get seeds :0laugh:

15. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i got the de-stemmed leaf from an herbalist for 4$ an oz and 5.50 shipping. cheapest option. its about 30 for a full pound and i think it ships for about the same price.

16. Puff The Magic

You getting an oz or a lb? So, you gonna chop it up and vanilla fortify sumpin? Let me know if you'd like to split a shipment. So, you don't recommend the deer tongue at 4nogs? They charge ~24 for 4 oz. btw.

:thumb:
    Ed Puff!

17. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've ordered an ounce to see how theirs is, it came highly recommended from an aunt with years in the herbalist business. if its what i wanted i'll probably order a pound and split it up with forumites, should be a total cost of less than 40 bucks for the full pound with shipping. if it sucks, i'll revise my plan. i'm planning to throw it in with some uhle blend 44 (cube cut burley/va) that i got for free a while back, should approximate the crooner pretty well.

18. Puff The Magic

I almost pulled the trigger on some Crooner. So, you gonna grind into powder? or just little flakes? 4nogs says theirs is powder. Either way, I bet it'd be a nice smoke paired up with a Va-Bur, especially that you got for free. If you do go for a pound, I can contribute up to as much as a half if there's not any interest. Am anxious to see what you think. I am good friends with a local herbalist, she has a PhD in Herbal Pharmacokinetics and really knows her shiite. I'll check with her as well. Shortage hell, they (the tobacco houses) probably just don't have a good source or it was a bad crop(s). I bet I can grow it.......... :whistle:

Either way you go, I'm in for as much as up to half of the DT.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

19. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Attached is a pic of a blend my friend John made up for me. This is a sample batch not the production version - its 50/50 Spyglass and Winter Heartbeat - tobaccos heavy in cigar leaf but backed up by virginias. You can see (I hope - macro isn't my thing ) that the green Deer Tongue is chopped into the mix; powdered Deer Tongue has not been used and the herb has been used sparingly.

I believe that you could also make a herbal tea with the Deer Tongue and add it to a mason jar of tobacco, after having experimented til you got the taste you were after. Again I believe this would be the "kitchen table" version of what Sobranie did,

Hope this helps

Gerry

20. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

you know, gerry, i was actually thinking about making a tincture out of it (it has medicinal uses too) and putting some of that on some tobacco, but i called about it, its a semi fine chopped leaf, well dried and cured, so i imagine that smoking it as is would work too. either way should be fun to play around with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.