1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Defectively stamped logos and marks

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Alejo, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alejo

Alejo Member

Hello.
    Something that bothers me a lot, in many brands of high-end pipes, is the poor quality of the stamped logos and markings
    An example of this is Dunhill. They claim to sell only perfect pipes but they do not worry about a bad marking on their pipes.
    A defect seen in many of their pipes, especially if they are old.
    I'm not saying that all their pipes are poorly marked but some are.
    I do not understand why this defect is never spoken and others such as a small putty filling they are.
    I believe that this defect can ruin a pipe, especially when you pay a lot to get a pipe as perfect as possible.
    Greetings.
    Alejo

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Never moved me one way or the other....sometimes they don't have markings or incomplete...go figure...

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Details, please. What do you see wrong with the marking? I'm not sure what you mean.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

On an old pipe, sometimes the stampings have been damaged by buffing.

But, I agree, bad stamping on an expensive pipe is irritating.

dwaugh likes this.
  5. Alejo

Alejo Member

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

OCD.....man, smoke a bowl, can't see it then.....

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You know, my 140th Anniversary is the best smoking pipe I own, and the fact that it is stamped "eterson of Dublin" doesn't bother me a bit.

8. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Strong crisp nomenclature on an estate is very important to me. I will pass an estate with buffed nomenclature. :confused:

9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

This just made me notice that one of my favorite pipes, and the one I'm smoking right this second is a "Peterson system standar". I think it still smokes just beautifully. I do have a Pete 80s that looks like the logo is double struck, and that one irks me a little, but it smokes great too!

10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

If I spent $600 on a pipe, a sloppy stamping would bother me. On a $100 or $200 pipe I wouldn't care.

11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I recognized the formatting on those photos from, at least the first one, from http://www.pipephil.eu here for the Sasieni. You should give them credit, they put a lot of work into the website! -David

Jussto likes this.
  12. ironpipe

ironpipe Member

I don't know if your very familiar with wood. But I have spent 30 years working with wood. It's a very imperfect surface to work with. I am more bothered by putty on a pipe. If it has a chip they should incorporate that into the design of the pipe. I am sure from their stand point the chip showed up at the final stages of production so the person making the pipe, putty's it to save his work. Personally I would set it aside and use it for a different design. Stamping a pipe is hard to do effectively. The grain of the wood can be different and that alone can affect the way it stamps. Since pipes are made of briar they have areas that are harder and softer. The burls are harder and the places in between are softer.
    So when your stamping a pipe that has a curved surface and an uneven one the stamp may not come out perfect. It may not even go deep enough. So if the worker is having a tough time he may re-stamp the pipe in an attempt to properly mark it. I think it just adds to the mystique of the pipe. It was a tough one to stamp.
    I look at the quality of the pipe and the workmanship and the grain of the wood. If it has beautiful grain and a nice finish and a nice overall appearance. I will buy it. That is why I love estate pipes. They are old and can be had at a relative cheap price. It;s interesting to own something that another person has enjoyed. Sometimes I wonder where my pipes have been. Who owned them and where they smoked them. A pipe is a relaxation tool. A part of another person lives in that old pipe. The man who created it and the man who smoked and enjoyed it. It's a piece of living history. A testament of another s time alive. And how a person spent their time living....

ruffinogoldswife, shadow and dwaugh like this.
  13. shadow

shadow Active Member

The thing with Estate pipes is that you don't know how they've been treated.
    The stampings might have been crisp and clean when new but over the years people could have buffed it, rubbed it, polished it.... the list is almost endless.
    On some of my Dunhills the stampings are only very faint. They might even disappear completely if I carry on waxing them as this might cause the wood to swell a bit.
    A nice, clean nomenclature is a good thing to have, no doubt, but the overall quality of the pipe is much more important to me.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's the pipes lineage, it's "papers" so to speak. Who made it. What model. What year it was carved if the stampings go that far. Bad/absence of stampings don't effect the way it smokes. To me, it doesn't matter.

I have a Pete 2011 St Pats A1 with the stamping on the band completely upside down! Pete wanted me to send them the pipe and they'd correct it..... In the case of this one, I'll keep her the way she is. It's not that the band was put on wrong, the stampings on the band were done completely upside down.

I guess the stamper guy/gal had a touch too much Guiness at lunch ;)

Ed
    Puff

15. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I like the way it can tell a story if you want it to.:D

16. ironpipe

ironpipe Member

I guess even pipe makers have bad days too. lol It's like coins or stamps the most valuable ones are the ones that made it out of the factory wrong. Like a two headed coin or a reverse printed stamp. Since they are so rare they are more valuable. And depending on where the stamp is there will be wear from the user too. When you polish a pipe you make it more apparent that it has wear. I have one pipe that the bowl was very polished from years of smoking. When I buffed it it was softer than any other place on the pipe. I am sure in time after years of using it, it will look used again which is fine. An estate pipe is like a classic car to me. Fix it up and drive it! Don't let it sit around. It's already been a drawer for way too long....

17. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

You don't smoke the freaking stamp.

18. Alejo

Alejo Member

Hi David:
    All photos are from that site. but let me say that:
    1) Do not take the credit for the photos.
    2) Do not take any benefit from the use of photos
    3) Do not use in the first instance, only as a quick way to give an example.
    4) Do not mention the site, maybe I should have.

Greetings.

19. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I think there are two points to take away from this thread:

1) A pipemaker is not going to discard an excellent pipe simply because the stamping is less than perfect.
    2) The buyer, as always, is free to vote with their pocketbook if anything about the pipe is not to their liking.

I think both are perfectly reasonable stances.

20. Alejo

Alejo Member

I think we all agree that is the freaking tobacco what we smoke.
    Greerings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.