Delayed Gratification Technique Roll Call: Good and Bad

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Good: half a bowl of Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake after 24 hrs plus.

I don't do it on purpose but love it when it happens.

Mington, Rewster66 and jdto like this.

2. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

To my mind, aros make the worst DGT....they turn bitter and way too wet. Va' and VaPers aren't bad, but seem to go a bit flat and ashy. My best luck has always been with English/Orientals.
    Glad you had a great smoke....twice!

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Post specifics when you can (remember).

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If putting a half smoked bowl of tobacco down at night, and then finishing it (and enjoying!) next day has become a 'technique' - then yes, I've done it for years.....Daddy used to say "waste not, want not" ;)
    OT

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I agree T-bear. I smoke mainly English/Oriental and the DGT seems to work just great. I just had a great DGT with C&D Odessa. Wonderful smoke!

Mington likes this.
  6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

For me it depends a lot on the weather.

Dry + DGT = Yum
    Damp/Humid +DGT = Yuck

7. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Interesting. I seem to recall hearing that DGT was best-suited to VAs rather than Englishes.

8. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Virginias are good LawMonkey...I just find them to be a bit "flat" the next day. They lose some of that "sweet hay" flavor overnight.
    English baccys keep that latakia flavor "kick" I love. Guess it's all a mater of perception, eh?

Rodfather and Mington like this.
  9. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I tend to like that Lakeland essence after a couple of hours so GH BBF #2 for me is great after setting for awhile. GH BoB's Choc Flake is great too!

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I am guilty of DGTing just about every blend I smoke, usually because I didn't have time to finish a bowl and get back to it in a day or so. I haven't had to dump anything because it was unsmokeable on the second go-round, but I'm not too picky either.

Smokingmiami, DocB and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  11. Artistik

Artistik Member

I do that everyday at work with OTC burleys but usuall 2+ hours between smokes. No harm, no foul.

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

McClellands Virginia #25 is the only tobacco I smoke via DGT each and every time. I do the charring light and then put the bowl down for at least an hour, preferably 2-3. Works overnight as well. Smoked without this delay, it's a credible VA. Via DGT, it's a classic.

The last DGT attempt I tried was with GLP's Picadilly. Worked very well. GLP's Odyssey does not. It becomes horribly bitter.

Old Codger likes this.
  13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I suppose DGT is de rigueur for guys that sport bucket-size bowls!.....unless you rise early, and turn in late! :p:

Mington likes this.
  14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I try not to most of the time. I smoke large-bowled pipes in order to allow the tobacco to fully develop, so it's hard to get to that point only to stop.

But yeah, sometimes it's also hard to find time to finish!

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I do it quite often. Not by design, but lack of time. As Granny used to say ~I ain't got the time to s**t or go blind~ :confused: I never understood the 'going blind' part of that euphemism, but I digress...

I've never noticed that it was sour or bitter the following light-up. In fact I left a half bowl of Penzance in my Meer the other day (really busy) for at least 24 hours; tasted like heaven to me on the re-light.

I think with some tobaccos, the drying process helps to enhance the flavor.

16. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

for those of you DGTers, do you usually dump out all the ash before the rest, or tamp it down real tight?
    When you fire back up, do you sprinkle some fresh tobac on top?

17. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I just lightly stir and shake off the top ash with the spike of my pipe tool, so the flame goes straight to unburned tobacco. BTW the best pipe for this type of smoking is - in my opinion a Falcon, as the tobacco remains dry when stood for any length of time - not being able to absorb sour moisture from the heel or shank.
    OT

Johnny Dingo and bluepipe like this.
  18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I sometimes toast up a bowl of McClelland #22 the night before for the next morning.

19. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Mainly strong / dark virginia blends. I start at night and can't finish before going to bed. They loose some of their complexity overnight like others have said. Still smoke good in the morning. If left with more than 1/2 of the bowl they seem to be better.

Conical chambers seem to be worse than wide chambers to DGT with... maybe because moisture can't evaporate? I agree with OT, falcons work well.

20. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

English/Balkan is best for me
    to DGT. In the evening I will load my stove with baccy, light and tamp and put it aside for the morning. Usually the best pipe of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.