Describe Orientals

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Grim_Puffer, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Ok so im smoking some McClelland Grand Orientals Classic Samsun

The first thing I cant get over is how much that tangyness reminds me of a really good straight virginia with the smallest hint of sweet and smokey.

The bad part is that doesnt appeal to me in terms of flavor profile

Im going to give it time but thats my initial impression after 1 bowl. Im very torn on whether or not I like this as I sit the pipe down and say eh its not for me yet the aftertaste is good enough where I just have to puff it some more.

This is a complex thing and frankly im confused..... anyways my 2 cents

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's another flavor/toby you can draw on when you'd like something "different". For a while, my Va's were tasting just sort of ehh-ehh and I wasn't enjoying them as much. Went onto other blends, orientals mainly, but some with both latakias and enjoyed them quite a bit.......then they started tasting sort of ehh-ehh, and then I moved onto aros........love 'em but ya can get too much of a good thing! So, I just loaded up some SG BBF and Whoaahhhh! Wow! Again! BBF strikes a homer! I like to keep many different types around and of the same categories so I can choose and go about my day. Don't really like getting stuck out with only one toby so I usually have ~3 different ones along with a "speedloader" or two :) and an extra bowl or two unless I'm solo with a cob or meer.

Just another flavor to pull from for your answer. "Smack ON" with what you noticed about the orientals, tangy, sweet, smooth, all in a good way. Enjoy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Did you 'snork' it? Taste, in the mouth alone, is only half the story. Words I would typically describe orientals with would include 'spice'(as in exotic cooking spice), 'tart', 'sour', 'rich', 'incense like', and so on. No, it doesn't help much, I know, but as a condiment used in many blends, oriental tobacco's are like salt...almost necessary in small doses. YMMV.

4. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

:withstupid:

Damn....damn...damn...

+1 to YY

Damn, I hate to agree with YY but he nailed this one.

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yup, you've got Orientals just about right - there are times when they offer something just beyond your normal consciousness - you are always chasing something just and only just beyond your reach and you know it's got a touch of heaven - they are often described as having a "sweet and sour taste" but that's just too prosaic.

After all these years I still sadly miss Sobranie deeply!

In the interim a plain undoctored virginia brings you back down to earth!

Happy smoking

Gerry

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

It's almost as bad as having to agree with Sas

7. yinyang

When has that happened? You a closet 'clubblendophile' ?

Oh, and FVF sucks....there Jes, now the world should make sense again.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Whew... I feel better! :xd:

9. yinyang

Glad to assist. Right? :blow:

10. yinyang

..and...to add fat to the fire...(the student becomes the teacher....yup, I said it!)...Potty mouth! In less than 20 words, you have managed to cuss four times. Please refrain from such Freudian slips in the future...this is a public forum, not a PT boat!!!!

-the (pseudo) management!

11. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

You don't know Orientals until you have smoked them straight...

Wow.

Like chewing on a stick of incence dipped in badger sweat. I now have a fuller understanding of their flavour profile though, so my blends will improve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.