Desperation Re-Hydration

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SandSquid, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I was really hankering for some of my C&D Blockade Runner but it is super krispy right now and I've been waiting on a bottle of distilled water and some hydration buttons to arrive, for two weeks. (God Bless the USPS ;-) All the water here is bottle "mineral water" and totally not cool for tobacco hydration purposes. So...

I dumped a bottle of water in the coffee pot, and placed a plastic bag over the "vents" where the excess steam comes out the top while brewing. The result was a plastic baggie filled with lovely "purer" water vapor. Quickly tossed a measure of krispy tobacco in the bag and jipped it closed. 1/2 hour later it was quite nicely rehydrated.

Kiowapipe and OldSchool like this.

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

Desperation is the mother of innovation... Good work!

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

You can re-hydrate with the mineral water too. Put your dry baccy in a bowl and place a dampened paper towel or cloth over the bowl...be sure it doesn't touch the baccy. Cover that with a plate...let it sit overnight and stir it up. If it's still too dry, just repeat. The tobacco will absorb the moisture but not the other crap.

4. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Mineral water like Perrier? Or tap water with lots of minerals? I realize it may not be ideal for re-hydration, but it is better than having nothing to smoke. And, if you do it like T-bear suggests, you could probably get away with swamp water, since just the vapor will be absorbed.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Steam vented into a plastic bag will work miracles on dried out tobacco without to much loss of flavor.

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Keep your head down, Navy. Get some!

Ol Brokedik.
    7th. Marine Regiment.

7. Ol Brokedik

Hey SandSquid.

Let me know how to get some pipe tobacco to you.

Also, tell me what you'ld like to smoke.

Please advise.
    Ol Brokedik.
    7th. Marine Regiment.

8. Eddie

Eddie Member

Try filing a bowl then breathing in 5-6 full lung fulls of air into the bowl (and back out the stem). Works well and only at a bowl a time won;t risk mould in the rest,

9. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

My a
    I'm finding my taste buds to be getting a b it fried from all the (C&D) Odessa, Black Frigate, Pirate Kake, etc. so I'm leaning more towards mild/middle blends and aromatics these days. Right now I'm pretty well fixed, I _just_ blew about $300 between C&D, 4noggins and smokingpipes.com, and my "local" shop Anstead's, on a huge care package of stuff for myself and my junior enlisted/recently converted pipers.

So, in careful consideration of your most generous offet I must say something to squirrel away to age and smoke closer to my end of tour (a year from now) would prbably be the most appreciated and give me/us something to look foreward to. I'm about 60 days into a 400 day BOG tour, so I have a loooong way to go.

10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

The paper towel and water method has always worked for me.

11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

One day/mission at a time............. sometimes even one step at a time. Keepin your toby at the correct moisture level in a dry climate is tough, no way to do it without some large canning/spring-bailtop jars (that is if you're keeping your toby in tins). One way to keep things moist is to take a sponge (clean) and a "travel soap container" that closes securely. Cut/drill a few holes in the soap container (smaller and the more.........the better) and moisten the sponge, place it in the soap container and place that with your toby. It doesn't let moisture come in direct contact with the toby, and if you clean the soap container and sponge regularly, it won't mold or get weird on ya either. I'd use the water they use as "potable" water to clean the container and sponge since that probably has the most antisepsis going on. Mineral/bottled water would be great for the "moistening of the sponge" part.

Once again, Thanks for your service and tell y'er buds the same too! HP!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

P.S. Otherwise, Eddie's suggestion about blowing mouth-vapor into the tobacco (in the bowl) usually works for me to bring the toby back to "springy" versus "crunchy" :)

12. Ol Brokedik

Sending you a personal message.

OBD.

13. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I'm trying to scam a few empty ammo cans for a storage vessle...

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Just don't confuse the empties with the full ones. could prove embarrassing in a fire-fight....to say the least!:xd:

Seriously...stay safe.

15. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Load up some more McClelland on top of that mortar round, that'll show 'em! If that don't drop 'em to their knees to load up some prime smoke, hit 'em with some Cornell & Diehl! Give 'em a taste of America! :moon:

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Rewster66 and telltime like this.
  16. Marc

Marc Active Member

:xd::laff::rofl:

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Dude, no! Keep the good stuff for yourself- Borkum Riff is what goes in the tube! (finally, something that stuff might be good for...)

Rewster66 likes this.
  18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Might not be allowed by the Geneva Convention, due to being considered CHEMICAL WARFARE.
    The fallout might reach back here to the US.

19. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

The locals all either "dip" naswar or smoke the nastiest cigarettes I have ever seen a brand called "Pine".
    Both make me want to puke.

20. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Or some Mixture 79.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.