Did I Buy A Fake/Knock-Off?

Mr Fingers

Hey everyone,

Recently I made a purchase on ebay of a pipe that was advertised as a Savinelli 320. When I recieved the pipe though, something just seemed...off.

The pipe doesn't bare the Savinelli name or logo at all. None of the usual stamps. It only says "made in Italy", and the stem is different. The seller says this is one of their cheaper base models, a "natural briar wood waxed". Is this possible? The shape pretty much matches perfectly to the 320 I already have.

Sorry I can't post pictures at the moment, Photobucket has kind of went wacky on me at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advise.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It sounds like you got an Unfinished Series pipe that someone waxed. They have cheap stems and the only stamp is an S-logo under the shank, near the stem (at least that's how mine was).

Unless you paid like $25 I'd return it.
My unfinished Series III was garbage.
I did a lot of work to fix it and it's still the worst pipe I own.

Blackmouth

I don't think it's a Series III.

The Series III comes with the logo AND doesn't say "Made in Italy".

Every Series III I have seen has the shield with an "S" Sav logo on it. And next to that it reads one word only, "Italy". These stamps are usually right on the shank.

I don't know what the OP purchased.

sfduke

I don't think it's a Series III.

The Series III comes with the logo AND doesn't say "Made in Italy".

Every Series III I have seen has the shield with an "S" Sav logo on it. And next to that it reads one word only, "Italy". These stamps are usually right on the shank.

I don't know what the OP purchased.
There is a version similar to Series III available only Italy and a few other neighboring countries called Grezza. Very similar in appearance. Not sure if it has the "Made in Italy" on the pipe.

Oldseadog

It doesn't sound like a savinelli. Yes it's made Italy but it could be made from any type of wood. Even their unfinished pipes have the S stamped on the stem.