Did I Do Ok?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by humphrey052000, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humphrey052000

humphrey052000 Member

Hi everyone,
    I just ordered the following tobaccos from James Barber in the UK
    SG Squadron Leader
    SG Commonwealth
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Mellow Virginia
    I have smoked Squadron before and I really like it so I am not worried on that score. As to the others...I got some Mellow Virginia because it is Benson & Hedges and I hope that a bowl of this may replace the 2 cigarettes I have not been able to stop yet in a morning! The other 2 I just decided to get because I have seen good comments on this forum. I am still unsure as to what the different classes of tobacco are! What makes a tobacco English? https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/more/scratchchin.gif Is there a site you guys know of that's like iTunes where it says if you liked this then why not try this?
    BTW James Barber was great. I placed the order and literally 10 minutes later got an email to say it had been dispatchedhttps://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
    James Barber

2. njenkins

njenkins Member

tobaccoreviews.com has been instrumental in helping me decide what to try next.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I think it a great selection.

4. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I will have to second the recommendation for www.tobaccoreviews.com. I use it everytime I start looking for new tobacco. I find the reviews to be honest and straight forward. I also like how it gives an overview of the the tobacco before the reviews. The site is easy to surf and I use it to help me keep my favorites in a list.

As far as what makes a tobacco "English" I don't know. I am looking forward to hearing the answer because English is what I smoke normally. It might have something to do with the blend as fars as the latakia. Not sure...
    Z

5. humphrey052000

humphrey052000 Member

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Take tobaccoreviews.com with a grain of salt, a lot of those reviewers doing reviews are inexperienced pipe smokers and base their reviews on one or two bowls of tobacco. I think you need to smoke at least 4 ounces of a blend before you try and write a review, you cannot really know a blend from one or two bowls. I also find it amusing when a person claiming to be an English smoker reviews a burley blend and then rates it 1 star, you simply cannot take reviews like that seriously in my opinion. :)

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

That's a good selection of tobaccos - but I would have to say that as it includes my old favourite Mellow Virginia. I personally love this tobaccos slight sweetness and it's stayed one of my favourites since around 1971. It used to have a cousin called Rich Virginia (Blue pack instead of red ) which was a little stronger and smoked more slowly and to my mind cooler - but after all those years Mellow still hits the spot.

Churchill truly wrote that the British and Americans are one race separated by a common language. This descrition "English" threw me for some time when I first came on to Forums - broadly speaking it's what we would call a smooth, medium strength Oriental or Balkan Blend. Squadron Leader is the American version of Players Airman which sadly disappeared from the UK market in the early 1970s - it was a big favourite of Church Ministers particularly in Scotland. Presbyterian Mixture is an old old blend beloved of Prime Ministers Baldwin and Wilson ans is archtypical of this genre,

Hope this helps,

Gerry

8. Legend

Legend Member

That is a big beef I have with that site...when people review aromatics and rate them low because they hate aromatics! Some of us like aromatics now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.